vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Space Hulk is still being made?!
WANT.

I still have an old copy of Hero Quest - still fun
Old 22-09-2014, 16:05   #22
statto
Jedi Master

If you like Space Hulk then give Space Hulk: Death Angel a try. It can be played either solo or cooperatively and generates tension pretty effectively. The rules can be fairly inscrutable, so I'd suggest looking at a couple of YouTube videos on gameplay to iron out any confusion.

Pretty cheap too.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:35   #23
HubbaHubba
PSN: modernlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
Space Hulk is still being made?!
WANT.
The 4th Edition was released last Saturday I think. GW only seem to do single print runs of each edition. This is the first since 2009's 3rd Edition, and that came 13 years after the 2nd edition! Apparently the GW UK website sold out in an hour, most of which look to be on Ebay Getting to a local game store seems to be the best option to bag a copy. I couldn't find any online in the usual stores and any that were available online were hiking up the price.
HubbaHubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 17:01   #24
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaHubba View Post
The 4th Edition was released last Saturday I think. GW only seem to do single print runs of each edition. This is the first since 2009's 3rd Edition, and that came 13 years after the 2nd edition! Apparently the GW UK website sold out in an hour, most of which look to be on Ebay Getting to a local game store seems to be the best option to bag a copy. I couldn't find any online in the usual stores and any that were available online were hiking up the price.

Cheers. I have a GW just opened up the road from me, so will take a look when I get chance. May have missed it tho as not going to get there til next week unless I can wangle a work from home day!

The other game doesn't appeal... If IM playing single player, I'll play on my Xbox!
Old 23-09-2014, 07:52   #25
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Anything much different since the 3rd Edition?
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 08:25   #26
HubbaHubba
PSN: modernlife

Not much I don't think. Four new missions and the extra pieces for them. The cardboard is apparently very slightly thicker. There's been some small rule modifications - overwatch changes causing the most fuss over at BGG. Space Marines can now choose whether to fire or not, meaning Geanstealers can no longer run around at a distance trying to force a marine's weapon to jam.
HubbaHubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 19:16   #27
nutter45
burninator

Monopoly Deal lots last night. Superb little card game. Must buy at only £7 delivered
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45   #28
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

I just got Ca$h and Guns, looking forward to playing it at the weekend
Old 08-10-2014, 21:36   #29
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

It's awesome if you have the right group. I know they are just stupid foam cut-outs, but the guns really add to the theme and we end up pointing at each other in all manner of movie-cliche stances, pressing them into each others temples, dual wielding, etc.
Old 25-10-2014, 07:35   #30
nutter45
burninator

Played some more Monopoly deal last. Very vindictive, very fun. Love the way the game can turn completely on its head in one turn, usually involving the dreaded deal breaker. Last night I had a full orange set with house/hotel pinched from me, then got hit with a double rent bill on it immediately
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 15:18   #31
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Machi Koro arrived today and I've had my first two player game with my wife. It takes elements of Catan (dice rolling to see who earns what each turn) and Splendor / Dominion (buying cards from the centralised supply, no deck building though) to form a very light, but potentially fun city building game for two to four players.

I say potentially fun as based on admittedly only one two player game so far I'm not sure I can recommend it for just two people. Reading afterwards there seem to be two main strategies to the game, one revolving around buying ranches and cheese factories, and the other buying convenience stores and sticking to single dice rolls, and it so happened that coincidently these were the two different approaches my wife and I took. The single dice / convenience store route won it for me in the end, but it was really just a straight forward race between us to see who would get enough money to win first. I think with three or four players, the power of these methods will be lessened by the required cards being spread amongst more people, and the red and purple 'attack' cards should prove to have a greater impact.

As I mentioned in another thread here, I feel the box is a little light on content for the money. There is a lot of empty space in the box for expansion sets, which shows good forward thinking for future storage, but also makes me think of a video game that has had content held back purposefully to sell as day one DLC.

It has kept the original Japanese artwork which looks lovely and I do still think it will be a bloody good game with three or four players. I'm hoping to find this out later this evening.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:04   #32
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

So yes, four player Machi Koro was a much better experience. I still creamed the opposition using a single dice economy with a combination of convenience stores and cafes. Yes, it is only my second game in so too soon for me to make a proper judgement, but rather than Catan and Dominion I'd say it is closer to this year's excellent Splendor, which I'd still say is the better game at the moment.

And here is what the game looks like packed away in the box to show what I meant by my withheld content comments above:

Yup, space for another three expansions the same size as the original deck. And surely they could have already included the expansion that is already out now in Japan with the base set as I've heard they have done in some other countries.

It sounds as if a Dominion style insert would have been better too, as I've read with the expansion you pick ten types of building at random to buy from instead of using all the cards, so having the different types separated in the box would make the game set-up much easier. I like the sound of that rule as it will quite often break certain strategies and force people to play in a different ways.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 29-10-2014 at 10:09.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 10:09   #33
Torf
PSN : Torf

That does look very lean for nearly £25. I do like inserts that plan for the expansions though.

The amazon listing says only for use by under 14s with adult supervision!
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 10:17   #34
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torf View Post
That does look very lean for nearly £25. I do like inserts that plan for the expansions though.
I do too. Some of the cards are written to allow for expansion too. For instance, if you have a cheese factory you can earn three coins for every ranch you own. It doesn't say ranch though, it says for every card with a cow symbol on it like the ranch has meaning they can easily add other cards with the same symbol later that will also work with the cheese factory.

Also, as I mentioned above, it is shame they've gone for vertical stacks with the insert too. Separated card types would have been much better.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 29-10-2014 at 10:20.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 10:24   #35
Torf

My son has Love Letter and possibly Hanabi coming for his birthday - expect those to get some airings over the weekend.

We have been playing quite a bit of Da Vinci Code recently - it's got nothing to do with the book / film, but is a nice code cracking game for 2-4 players. You each have a code that the others are trying to work out by deduction and an additional tile each turn which gets added to your code.

£18 is a bit rich, but there are some Amazon sellers for around a tenner. The pieces are bulletproof plastic, so even if the box is a bit tatty the game will be fine.

Plays in about 15-20 minutes, and taxes my adult brain - my ten year old often manages to give us the run around
Old 29-10-2014, 10:38   #36
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torf View Post
My son has Love Letter and possibly Hanabi coming for his birthday - expect those to get some airings over the weekend.
Both excellent games in my opinion. Hanabi almost breaks your brain from the outset as you try and adjust to the completely alien way of holding your cards.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:55   #37
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

Hanabi frazzles my brain, I almost always lose track of what I'm holding and have to ask for reminder of things I've been told.
Old 29-10-2014, 18:03   #38
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joober View Post
I just got Ca$h and Guns, looking forward to playing it at the weekend
What did you think of it? It's a great laugh, and my son especially gets carried away when it comes to the showdown.
Old 30-10-2014, 14:38   #39
Joober
Celebrity Moderator

I haven't had chance to play anything for weeks, been too busy to get anyone sat around a table.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42   #40
Torf

Well Hanabi and Love Letter both made an appearance this weekend.

Love Letter is superb, and such a great gaming package for 16 cards and some cubes. Very impressive, and some lovely moments. My ten year old was able to ably beat me several times which he clearly loved!

We also had just one three player game of Hanabi - nice dynamic and I agree with the brain frazzle comment