Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 26-09-2013, 03:28   #41
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
I don't mind the old 'divimax' transfer, nor do I mind the THX DVD before that which the fanboys continue to treat as the holy grail, and this new one has a different look again, appearing very downcast and subdued. It looks all the more threatening to me, but because the leaves on the trees aren't a specific golden hue like they were in one home video release, people are throwing lots of toys out of prams.
Have you checked out the recent Hi-def Digest review? Even by their standards it's spectacularly bizarre! According to them "The color palette is brighter and bolder than it really should be, and the overall presentation largely looks almost identical to its predecessor."
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 08:23   #42
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Here's a final update on the mono audio of the 35th Anniversary release: People have gone back to the 80s VHS tapes and found that at least one sound effect (called a "stinger") that is used for shock purposes when Myers goes in for the kill sounds different on the 35th Anniversary Mono (and 7.1) than on the old VHS tapes. Furthermore people have discovered that if you play the 7.1 track and mute the centre channel, it plays all the sounds heard in the Mono track (including the missing gun click, which is on the centre channel only), ergo the Mono is almost certainly a downmix of the 7.1, Anchor Bay just forgot to downmix the centre channel (so in actuality it's even worse than a downmix because it's missing some of the effects from one of the channels! )

Here's the "stinger" comparison that tipped people off, note that on the 2007 mono track (which is the same as the old VHS tapes and laserdisc, THX DVD, etc) you can hear the pinging of a triangle as an extra layer on the synth stinger sound, but on the 35th Anniversary mono track you get a slightly different effect. Also note how the squeaking of Annie's finger on the car windscreen can barely be heard on the 2013 clip, probably because it's on the centre channel of the 7.1.

Original Stinger:

2013 BD Stinger:
Thanks for the summary. I think thats enough evidence to suggest the new mono track is in fact a downmix. That's really sad and it's odd Anchor Bay would go at lengths to downmix it when they could have just used the same track from the previous release. Doesn't make sense

Think I'll give this one a miss.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 08:31   #43
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing with no name View Post
Maybe I am missing some vital understanding of the bandwidth involved between lossy and lossless audio tracks, but I would have thought a mono track would not benefit THAT greatly from a lossless track as it wouldn't use anywhere near as much space as a 5.1 or 7.1 track? I do know from personal experience the difference between a 5.1 DD or DTS track and its equivalent DTS-MA or TrueHD tracks, but I'm not sure it would be so obvious on a mono track mastered well into standard DD or DTS due to being only one track?
Does this make sense?
I guess it would depend on the source. So may be difficult to tell the difference with a shrill sounding track from a 1940's movie but something with better recording techniques from the 70s/80s will sound better without compression. To be honest I don't know if I have done a side by side comparison of a lossless mono track compared to a lossy one but in general I can definitely hear an improvement with lossless tracks, particularly in the bass department.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 20:05   #44
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Oh ****.

STILL no definitive release.

So who do we believe? bluray.com, or hidefdigest?

On the picture issues I mean. The original mono subject seems pretty closed.

Last edited by chris21; 26-09-2013 at 20:20.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 22:08   #45
Shingster
Trusted User

chris, the Hi-def Digest review is complete and utter nonsense! I wish a distributor would call that site up on the crap their hacks churn out, because they really do perpetuate some ******** when it comes to their technical reviews.

Go take a look at the screenshots on Blu-ray.com and make your own mind up. In most areas this is by far the best Halloween has ever looked on home video, but you have to bear in mind that the colour scheme is extremely muted in comparison to any other release (there are some daytime shots that almost look like black & white!). That's really the only criticism you can easily make about the transfer, yes it no longer has that orangey-brown autumn feel of the THX DVD, but Halloween was shot in California in the springtime, so the lush greens of the 35th Anniversary Blu make perfect sense.

The muted scheme too is much more naturalistic than the blatantly boosted colours of the 2007 BD, that release really is a horrible template to compare the latest release to in terms of contrast & colour saturation, whereas the THX DVD is a horrible template to compare the new release to in terms of colour timing, because it was clearly digitally manipulated to look more like fall (supposedly on Cundy's request though, so you could argue that it has some validity).

Ultimately you go with whichever transfer you prefer though, some people are nostalgically attached to the romantic "fall" look of the THX DVD for instance. In an ideal world Anchor Bay would have released a high-RRP Special Edition with both colour timings on separate discs for the folk who want the most authentic reproduction of how it looked back in 1978 and those who want Halloween to look like a picture-postcard stereotype of Autumn.

Last edited by Shingster; 26-09-2013 at 22:10.
Old 26-09-2013, 22:16   #46
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

So would you say this 35th anniversary edition is close to how it looked in 78?
Old 26-09-2013, 22:42   #47
Shingster
Trusted User

Only Carpenter & Cundey can really answer that, but when you look at the early VHS releases (before the days when colour manipulation was commonplace) and you read about the production history of the film (shot in California at springtime, story set in Illinois at falltime, but all they could really do to make it look more autumnal was buy paper leaves and paint them red/brown and scatter them across the streets where they were shooting) then I would say all signs point to the "greener" look of this new release being much closer to how it was filmed. I have my suspicions about how desaturated the daytime sequences look, but that's all they are (it wouldn't surprise me if Cundey deliberately muted the scheme a little to make it look less "cheery" and Spring-like), for the most part the screenshots show much more natural colour saturation, black levels, contrast, and considerably more picture detail.

If it weren't for the fudged-up mono track I would say this is an easy choice, but if multi-channel remixes don't bother you then I guess it is!
Old 26-09-2013, 23:48   #48
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Have you checked out the recent Hi-def Digest review? Even by their standards it's spectacularly bizarre! According to them "The color palette is brighter and bolder than it really should be, and the overall presentation largely looks almost identical to its predecessor."
That review is utter tosh. According to them, Dean Cundey's new transfer is flat-out wrong because it's not the same timing as what he signed off on 14 years ago. Sheesh.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:56   #49
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
So would you say this 35th anniversary edition is close to how it looked in 78?
I think you have to remember as well that the film when released didn't necessarily look how they wanted it to!
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 20:55   #50
jefflynne
Curly perms never die...

Re: Haloween BD 35th anniversary!

Picked up this new steelbook today. It really is a thing a beauty. The front poster art is recessed within a frame, with the title in embossed lettering. The rear features a nice creepy picture of Michael outside the louvred doors of the wardrobe. Lovely stuff. The disc has the new painting that's on the cover of the US blu and there's a booklet which reproduces the one in the US set. The content seems to mirror the US disc too, so all in all, at Ł14.99 in HMV, it's a no brainer.
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:07   #51
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Tonight's viewing
Old 31-10-2013, 14:24   #52
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

13.99 instore at Sainsbury's. I just got one

I'm into double figures for buying Halloween now
Old 31-10-2013, 17:09   #53
anephric
Kidney Thief

Picked this up today. Wow, the Jamie Lee convention doc is a waste of space. Shame they didn't put a decent doc on there, although I know they've done that to death on the DVDs.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45   #54
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
Picked this up today. Wow, the Jamie Lee convention doc is a waste of space. Shame they didn't put a decent doc on there, although I know they've done that to death on the DVDs.
Yeah I watched it straight after the film, pretty boring really , in fact I didn't even make it through to the end ...... Also did you notice when they were putting the dates up of the convention it kept saying the year was 2013 when it was obviously 2012 .on a slightly different subject what's the score with the tv version of the film, I've never seen that, were those scenes filmed a lot later ?

Last edited by platty; 01-11-2013 at 11:34.
platty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:13   #55
jefflynne
Curly perms never die...

I think Carpenter filmed them during the making of Halloween II, I guess as this would be around the time that Halloween was being sold to TV.
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:18   #56
eye__writ
Trusted User

Watched this new version last night, for the first time in HD and it looks properly stunning to my eyes.

Still a little summery at times, but fantastic detail. Might watch it again tonight at our (belated) horror movie all-nighter.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:18   #57
allan
Trusted User

You are correct.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:46   #58
Anorakus
Trusted User

Hmmm.. it's advertised as Dolby TrueHD 7.1, but my amp is only showing a 5.1 signal

Anyone else got this?

A.
Anorakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:36   #59
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorakus View Post
Hmmm.. it's advertised as Dolby TrueHD 7.1, but my amp is only showing a 5.1 signal

Anyone else got this?

A.
My Onkyo showed True HD , even though I've only got a 5.1 setup
Old 01-11-2013, 20:26   #60
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I only have a 5.1 set up so all 7.1 soundtracks are played as 5.1

Watched this disc last night and thought it looked excellent. The dialogue was a little quiet for my liking though. Had to crank my amp up higher than usual.