Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 21-08-2013, 20:48   #21
dvdric
WARRIC ON XBOX LIVE/PSN

It Looks Good But how many versions Do you need of This Film
dvdric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 20:58   #22
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Just the best release.

DVDs were standard def. Blu Rays had incorrect color timing. So looks like this is the one.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:21   #23
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
Just the best release.

DVDs were standard def. Blu Rays had incorrect color timing. So looks like this is the one.
Have you heard news about the colour timing? How do you know this is the one?

I sold off my 2 disc Anchor Bay R2 DVD years ago (due to bad transfer / combing effect) and never got round to picking up the better US release. I still have been without a copy since, so I'm quite excited by this. Just hope it will be the best release out there.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 14:43   #24
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Reviews are good.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hallow.../54082/#Review

However the colour timing is supposed to be somewhere in between the Cundey approved DVD and the previous Blu Ray?

So Cundey has approved two different transfers?

Is the UK release (October 21st) likely to be the same disk as I think I'll pre-order that as I'm not sure about the packaging on this US release.

UK is getting a steelbook.
Old 20-09-2013, 17:21   #25
Shingster
Trusted User

This isn't the first time a director or DP has signed off on a completely different look of a film and it won't be the last, but imo all the controversy following this new release boils down to how desaturated it looks rather than the colour timing (although it IS the colour timing that's brought up the most). I think if it were more "colourful" then there would just be sporadic complaints about trees looking too green and whatnot.

I'm not sure what to make of it all tbh as there's no real official statement anywhere on how the film originally looked with regards to colour when it was first released. The basic summation of the complaints is that this new 35th Anniversary release has a more neutral "spring" palette with flat green treelines compared to the orangey-brown "autumn" look of the THX DVD (and the 2007 Blu-ray). We know that Halloween was shot in L.A in the spring of '78 and they went as far as purchasing paper leaves and painting them brown and scattered them about to make the setting look more like Illinois in the fall where the story is set, but they could only achieve so much in-camera at the time so there's a strong argument that the film never really looked that autumnal to begin with.

The question is what the intent of the THX DVD transfer was, were they going for an exact representation of the original scheme, or did they tinker with the colours to give the film a more Autumn feel like the filmmakers originally intended. I think there is talk somewhere in an interview (either on a disc somewhere or online) where it is mentioned that they tinkered with the colours in the daytime sequences to achieve a more autumn look, but I'm not sure if that's in relation to the THX DVD or the 2007 BD tbh.

With that in mind, it's possible that Cundey signed off on the 2007 DVD because the intent was to provide a slightly colour-adjusted transfer, but for the 35th Anniversary release he was going for an exact duplicate of the original colour scheme, warts-and-all. It's just as possible that he botched the job and desaturated the picture too much and ignored any colour filters that might have been applied to the print back in 78 to give the film a more autumn feel. We'll probably never know for sure what the true story is.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 11:36   #26
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

There's talk over at the Blu-ray forums that the so called mono mix is just a downmix of the 5.1/7.1 track.
Old 21-09-2013, 11:43   #27
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

You know, I'm just going to hang on to my current edition. It looks great, and the number of times this gets re-released it's only a matter of time until a more definitive version comes along.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 11:54   #28
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Yeah thinking of cancelling my order now. Which edition do you have? The 2007 BD?
Old 21-09-2013, 13:17   #29
eye__writ
Trusted User

Looks great to me. I'll be keeping my bargain steelbook pre-order with Amazon for sure.
Old 21-09-2013, 13:23   #30
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Re: Haloween BD 35th anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Yeah thinking of cancelling my order now. Which edition do you have? The 2007 BD?
Yeah it's not perfect, but it's still the best I've ever seen it look so will do for now.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:07   #31
DTSfan
Trusted User

Wouldn't normally double dip, but pre-ordered the UK steelbook anyway...
Old 21-09-2013, 18:42   #32
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSfan View Post
Wouldn't normally double dip, but pre-ordered the UK steelbook anyway...
I'll be doing the same.

The original BD only cost me a fiver anyway.
Old 25-09-2013, 03:13   #33
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
There's talk over at the Blu-ray forums that the so called mono mix is just a downmix of the 5.1/7.1 track.
OK an update on this: Basically all the furore stems from what looks like a misunderstanding about what the original audio for Halloween actually sounds like. It seems that from the 1997 VHS up until today, all US releases may have featured an altered mono track (criterion laserdisc, THX DVD, original blu-ray). The big indicator people were jumping on was the scene at the end of the film:

So basically it's looking like the 35th Anniversary mono track is in fact the original audio, presented for the first time in perhaps 16yrs or more!

You can read about the whole thing across pages 208-210 of this thread. Nagys has also posted a screenshot from the 80s VHS to match the comparison THX DVD/Original BD/35th Anniversary BD screenshot of Michael hiding behind the bush. It clearly shows a similar colour scheme to the 35th Anniversary release.

EDIT: OK nagysudio has now revealed that the VHS clip was taken from a foreign dub, the German release of Halloween by Warner Home Media in 1982! So make of that what you will. Usually they keep the sound effects intact, but who knows?
2ND EDIT: And now someone has checked the English mono on their 1985 VHS from Media Home Video and it does have the gun click! We've come full circle!

Last edited by Shingster; 25-09-2013 at 04:58.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:03   #34
allan
Trusted User

My god, I'm all for sure for being true to the original but I think some people need to get out more...
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 08:59   #35
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Thanks for that Shingster. This is getting very confusing and it's funny all of this is coming out 35 years after it's initial release!

Bit stuck now. Not sure whether to keep my pre-order for this release. Looking at the colour timing issues and now the mono soundtrack confusion, it's all going to come down to personal preference. Looks like this release has the cleanest, sharpest video transfer, but the muted colours original intention or not do not capture that autumn feel.

However at the end of the day I am more concerned over the audio. The biggest disappointment is that none of these BD releases offer a lossless mono track.
Old 25-09-2013, 09:39   #36
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

Maybe I am missing some vital understanding of the bandwidth involved between lossy and lossless audio tracks, but I would have thought a mono track would not benefit THAT greatly from a lossless track as it wouldn't use anywhere near as much space as a 5.1 or 7.1 track? I do know from personal experience the difference between a 5.1 DD or DTS track and its equivalent DTS-MA or TrueHD tracks, but I'm not sure it would be so obvious on a mono track mastered well into standard DD or DTS due to being only one track?
Does this make sense?
Old 25-09-2013, 10:22   #37
Guest 69911
Trusted User

I'm buying the remaster. The '07 BD doesn't look so hot (actually it looks too hot, with high contrast, little fine detail, and a cheap digital edge).
Guest 69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 19:34   #38
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing with no name View Post
Maybe I am missing some vital understanding of the bandwidth involved between lossy and lossless audio tracks, but I would have thought a mono track would not benefit THAT greatly from a lossless track as it wouldn't use anywhere near as much space as a 5.1 or 7.1 track? I do know from personal experience the difference between a 5.1 DD or DTS track and its equivalent DTS-MA or TrueHD tracks, but I'm not sure it would be so obvious on a mono track mastered well into standard DD or DTS due to being only one track?
Does this make sense?
You make a fair point. Lossless is nice because it presents the audio as transparent to the master as possible, BUT with old mono tracks there is only so much fidelity there. For example, Shout!'s recent Day Of The Dead release has a lossless DTS-HD 2.0 mono track, yet it sounds quite harsh and scratchy, if that makes sense, especially on sibilant 's' sounds.

I checked the lossy Dolby Digital mono track from the Anchor Bay Blu-ray and even the old non-anamorphic Anchor Bay DVD, and the same problem with sibilance is present in all three iterations of the mono mix. Heck, I reckon I'd have a tough time telling them apart in a blind test.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 19:41   #39
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert S View Post
I'm buying the remaster. The '07 BD doesn't look so hot (actually it looks too hot, with high contrast, little fine detail, and a cheap digital edge).
I don't mind the old 'divimax' transfer, nor do I mind the THX DVD before that which the fanboys continue to treat as the holy grail, and this new one has a different look again, appearing very downcast and subdued. It looks all the more threatening to me, but because the leaves on the trees aren't a specific golden hue like they were in one home video release, people are throwing lots of toys out of prams.

A while back I actually said in the BD.com thread that it'd be a laugh if the new, Cundey-approved transfer didn't match the mythic 1999 Cundey-approved transfer, and so it proved. That thread is beyond nerdy.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 03:22   #40
Shingster
Trusted User

Here's a final update on the mono audio of the 35th Anniversary release: People have gone back to the 80s VHS tapes and found that at least one sound effect (called a "stinger") that is used for shock purposes when Myers goes in for the kill sounds different on the 35th Anniversary Mono (and 7.1) than on the old VHS tapes. Furthermore people have discovered that if you play the 7.1 track and mute the centre channel, it plays all the sounds heard in the Mono track (including the missing gun click, which is on the centre channel only), ergo the Mono is almost certainly a downmix of the 7.1, Anchor Bay just forgot to downmix the centre channel (so in actuality it's even worse than a downmix because it's missing some of the effects from one of the channels! )

Here's the "stinger" comparison that tipped people off, note that on the 2007 mono track (which is the same as the old VHS tapes and laserdisc, THX DVD, etc) you can hear the pinging of a triangle as an extra layer on the synth stinger sound, but on the 35th Anniversary mono track you get a slightly different effect. Also note how the squeaking of Annie's finger on the car windscreen can barely be heard on the 2013 clip, probably because it's on the centre channel of the 7.1.

Original Stinger:

2013 BD Stinger:

Last edited by Shingster; 26-09-2013 at 03:25.