Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 16-07-2012, 09:24   #41
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Fingers crossed it'll be a double pack with WarGames: The Dead Code

mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 13:17   #42
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark_DK View Post
Could you elaborate on that or is that way too much to ask?
Several TV experts including the presenters of The Gadget Show admit the CRT has got a better Picture than any Flat screen in any format but Fashon has deemed these old TVs as finished, We don't go to buy them any more.

Why that is I realy don't know. But it has happened before, remember bettamax had a better picture but VHS won.
Old 17-07-2012, 13:22   #43
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

If I had a betta, I'd call it Max.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 13:40   #44
Guest 9359
Gamertag: Kiruji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roborob View Post
Several TV experts including the presenters of The Gadget Show admit the CRT has got a better Picture than any Flat screen in any format but Fashon has deemed these old TVs as finished, We don't go to buy them any more.
A) Since when have the presenters of the Gadget Show been 'TV experts'?

2) "A CRT TV can produce a better picture than an LCD TV."

iii) CRT != better.

Last edited by TheFatBoy; 17-07-2012 at 13:46.
Guest 9359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 13:44   #45
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Shouldn't your 3rd point be:

iii) CRT != better.
Old 17-07-2012, 13:46   #46
Guest 9359

Good point, well made.
Old 17-07-2012, 14:11   #47
nwgarratt
Trusted User

In the Gadget World Tour they tried to come up reviews for 3DTV's while watching them on a rocking speed boat and in full sunlight !! I would be surprised if they could even see what was on the screen neverless review how good the 3D was.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 14:30   #48
allan
Trusted User

I had plenty of CRT TVs before moving onto LCD/Plasma and there is now way that the current LCDs you can get are worse. I remember how appalling bad CRTs were with poor geometry, bloomind, harmonic streaking on some sets. The only thing I can really say is that they were brighter images but that's about it.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 14:38   #49
Guest 9359

To be fair, I had a CRT projector, and once properly calibrated, it knocked the HD LCD projector I now have into a cocked hat... However, it was the size of a VW Beetle and walking past it on the floor too heavily would knock it out of calibration. It needed to be calibrated professionally once every 18 months or so and by that time, the image was pretty awful.

So, although the blacks were black and the quality could be astounding, the little LCD projector bolted to the roof is far more practical and consistently good quality.
Old 18-07-2012, 03:57   #50
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Although I'm somewhat skeptical about this as it's coming from a person who has zero understanding of how 35mm film holds significantly more information than a blu-ray and who puts all his trust in a pop-culture show.

And who, apparently randomly, caps words like "picture", "flat" and "fashion".
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:44   #51
Roborob

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco You missed my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark_DK View Post
Hmm, interesting. Although I'm somewhat skeptical about this as it's coming from a person who has zero understanding of how 35mm film holds significantly more information than a blu-ray and who puts all his trust in a pop-culture show.

And who, apparently randomly, caps words like "picture", "flat" and "fashion".
I was talking about how the picture on old fashioned Cathode ray tube televisions had a better picture than LCD or Plasma TVs. I was not talking Film, How DVDs or Blue Rays work. Sorry you could not understand that.
Old 18-07-2012, 09:46   #52
Guest 9359

Quote:
I was talking about how the picture on old fashioned Cathode ray tube televisions had a better picture than LCD or Plasma TVs.
But it doesn't, necessarily.
Old 18-07-2012, 16:19   #53
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
I was not talking Film, How DVDs or Blue Rays work. Sorry you could not understand that.
What did you mean by this then:

Quote:
I realy hope some of you have not been conned into thinking Blue ray adds to all pictures, Some like Wargames are limited by the film they were shot in and so improvement may not be automatically possible. So to automatically assume that mearly converting to blue ray wil add quality is missplaced.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 16:30   #54
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
I was talking about how the picture on old fashioned Cathode ray tube televisions had a better picture than LCD or Plasma TVs.
They were better at SOME THINGS. That doesn't mean they were better period. Their resolution was (mostly) much lower, they had geometry problems, some of them had phosphor lag, 50hz sets flickered like crazy, and, of course, they were much, much smaller. Yes, size matters too. But they were mostly better at contrast and black levels, sure.
Quote:
I was not talking Film, How DVDs or Blue Rays work. Sorry you could not understand that.
You did two pages ago:
Quote:
I realy hope some of you have not been conned into thinking Blue ray adds to all pictures, Some like Wargames are limited by the film they were shot in and so improvement may not be automatically possible. So to automatically assume that mearly converting to blue ray wil add quality is missplaced.
Wargames was shot on 35mm film which holds more detail than a blu-ray can. Unless the film stock used was really, really poor.

That doesn't guarantee that the transfer will look good, of course.

edit: Scrounger beat me to it.

Last edited by Aardvark_DK; 18-07-2012 at 16:31.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 18:08   #55
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
I was talking about how the picture on old fashioned Cathode ray tube televisions had a better picture than LCD or Plasma TVs. I was not talking Film, How DVDs or Blue Rays work. Sorry you could not understand that.
Except that they didn't always. The only ones who say so are you and Which and considering Which? once reviewed a DVD player I owned and got 75% of the review factually wrong by claiming it had features it didnt and vice versa, they're about as reliable as, well, you.

Actually, it wasn't Which? was it. I just hate them for other reasons. It was the Gadget show. Even worse. Point still stands.

Last edited by KRW; 18-07-2012 at 22:11.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 14:19   #56
Roborob

Loco I think I shoud correct a few of you, though I am also at fault

I see no reason that a Blue Ray will have a better picture than a DVD which has a better picture than VHS if the 1st source is an old one.

New films are better for this and as Wargames is an old film I realy doubt that a Blue ray will look any better than a DVD.

AND

If we were really intrested in picture quality we would still use Cathode ray tube televisions and not the more modern LCD/Plasma Televisions as the old CRTs have got a better picture.

BUT

Wargames is a fantastic film with a teriffic story, well acted. I already have the DVD and so I will probibly not buy the Blue Ray, Unless the extras are good.
Old 19-07-2012, 14:29   #57
Guest 9359

Quote:
I see no reason that a Blue Ray will have a better picture than a DVD which has a better picture than VHS if the 1st source is an old one.

New films are better for this and as Wargames is an old film I realy doubt that a Blue ray will look any better than a DVD.

AND

If we were really intrested in picture quality we would still use Cathode ray tube televisions and not the more modern LCD/Plasma Televisions as the old CRTs have got a better picture.
You haven't corrected anyone at all, you've just reiterated the same rubbish that you've spouted throughout the thread.
Old 19-07-2012, 17:19   #58
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
INew films are better for this and as Wargames is an old film I realy doubt that a Blue ray will look any better than a DVD.

You do know that the resolution of 35mm is far higher then that of DVD and Bluray? Movies made back in the 30s will have a higher resolution then DVD and Bluray?

I have no idea why you keep saying old films will not benifit from Bluray when so many people have told you otherwise.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 17:27   #59
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Look at films like Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz and Metropolis to see what films can look like so long ago.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 17:37   #60
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

No, he's talking about Blue Ray, which must be something of a lower quality than we're used to.