Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 19-09-2011, 11:23   #121
orac
information is restricted

l8wtr's fan edits of the prequels are very good - seen TPM and AOTC, both running at around 96 mins (inc. end credits) - so lots cut out, i.e. pod racer much tighter edited, comical jar jar and childish young anakin lines cut right back.

TPM was a vast improvement, AOTC moved along far quicker, but with Christensen's acting and most of the cast as well - you cannot perform miracles.. Hes got a Sith edit out very soon.

They are not HD - and people tell me that Sith is demo material.. but then I don't own blu rays for just PQ...

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 19-09-2011 at 11:24.
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:30   #122
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
Especially that opening shot. He doesn't point out that it's one of the worst set piece shots in CGI history. One minute there are no space ships beneath them, next it's the most overcrowded frame since Mos Eisley. I mean honestly, how could everyone working on that scene let that pass?
Just looked that up on Youtube and I guess I was so overwhelmed to see a 'cool space battle' opening a Star Wars movie that I didn't realise how lame the shot is, you are bang on. One minute you have a large ship flying over Coruscant and nothing below it other than planetary detail and then the two fighters dive down and there's a massive battle going on underneath the ship! One more thing to annoy me about the prequels.

Last edited by GAmbrose; 19-09-2011 at 11:31.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:47   #123
allan
Trusted User

The problem with that opening shot is that you have no idea who is who, why they're attacking each other or what the ultimate goal is.

Compare it to the ending space battles in A New Hope and Jedi and it's clearly obvious who is who and what they're attacking each other for.
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 12:18   #124
drush9999
Trusted User

I enjoy the RLM reviews for the fact it isn't played straight, otherwise it would come across as some angry fanboy. The recent interview on Half in the Bag with the The People vs George Lucas director is a must as well.

You could boil the prequel problems as said many times purely down to lack of characters you care about, you have no emotional connection with them.
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 12:24   #125
LouBarlow
Retired Member

The 'You Will Try' line cracks me up. Channelling John Wayne!
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 12:42   #126
Guest 22713
Bronze Trader

pirate talk is not permitted here

Last edited by splobber; 23-09-2011 at 21:57. Reason: piracy
Guest 22713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 12:44   #127
allan
Trusted User

Sounds like you have an incomplete set of rars then, not much else to say!
Old 19-09-2011, 13:54   #128
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmbrose View Post
Just looked that up on Youtube and I guess I was so overwhelmed to see a 'cool space battle' opening a Star Wars movie that I didn't realise how lame the shot is, you are bang on. One minute you have a large ship flying over Coruscant and nothing below it other than planetary detail and then the two fighters dive down and there's a massive battle going on underneath the ship! One more thing to annoy me about the prequels.
It's clearly done for effect and it's not to say that the ship isn't flying into the battle zone. The impact when you are plunged into the heart of the battle would be lost if done differently. Honestly, it's a bit nit-picky for the sake of it.
Old 19-09-2011, 14:06   #129
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Maybe so, but the prequels are all crap anyway so I don't even need to be nitpicky.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 14:15   #130
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
It's clearly done for effect and it's not to say that the ship isn't flying into the battle zone. The impact when you are plunged into the heart of the battle would be lost if done differently. Honestly, it's a bit nit-picky for the sake of it.
Of course it's clearly done for effect. And this effect is achieved by the filmmaker showing you one thing and then contradicting himself. The reason it's unexpected is you already know it isn't even there!!

This is cockadoodie filmmaking the type of which Kathy Bates goes nuts over in Misery. Oddly enough I think she's actually talking about the serials that inspired Star Wars in the first place. But don't you even think about using that as an excuse!!!

It's outrageously bad filmmaking, pure and simple.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:00   #131
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

I just watched it a few times on youtube, and i think this has to be the most inconsequential nit-pick i think i've seen. Looking at the geography of it, i'm not even sure your gripe is valid at all. The ship is clearly near the top of the battle area and although we see over one side, the battle seems to take place quite far below and more to the other side of the ship - which is why we don't see it until they dive down into the heart of it.

Last edited by hookbeak; 19-09-2011 at 15:03.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 15:18   #132
allan
Trusted User

I always wondered why there's this battle going on that appears to just stop once they've got Palpatine.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:36   #133
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Just finished watching all three (of the main trilogy) this weekend after avoiding anything about the blurays. Am a massive fanboy and I was aware there was controversy (and I think I'd picked up about the ewok eyes) but had avoided all the articles about it.

So I'd almost got through them all quite impressed. I thought the picture quality on Star Wars and Empire was amazing and it made for an almost brand-new viewing experience. ROTJ not quite as good, but still a decent transfer. So I was wondering what the fuss was all about.

And then I got to the bit with Vader's "no!". I had absolutely no idea that it was coming and was stopped in my tracks. Such a phenomenally bad film-making decision that I honestly can't see how a completely sane person would have made it. Clearly he's surrounded himself with yes-men who won't challenge him and he certainly doesn't care about his core audience.

I've been a bit of a Lucas apologist over the years, feeling that he had the right to do whatever he wanted with his movies - but this really has turned me against him. Such a middle finger to the fans - and I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Jedi again.

That said - I'm looking forward to the new series of Clone Wars so I can't be all that sane myself...

Last edited by gavinhanly; 19-09-2011 at 18:36.
gavinhanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 18:37   #134
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I just watched it a few times on youtube, and i think this has to be the most inconsequential nit-pick i think i've seen. Looking at the geography of it, i'm not even sure your gripe is valid at all. The ship is clearly near the top of the battle area and although we see over one side, the battle seems to take place quite far below and more to the other side of the ship - which is why we don't see it until they dive down into the heart of it.
You've just made me put the DVD on which is damn near unforgiveable... anyway, it's certainly not nit picking in my book. Nor is it explained away by geography. You should be able to see hundreds of ships and battles in that opening shot. But you see none. Because George Lucas either a) doesn't give a rat's ass or b) he's mocking you. Either way... pure dross.
Old 19-09-2011, 19:38   #135
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Quote:
Especially that opening shot. He doesn't point out that it's one of the worst set piece shots in CGI history. One minute there are no space ships beneath them, next it's the most overcrowded frame since Mos Eisley. I mean honestly, how could everyone working on that scene let that pass?
I thought that was a cracking opening shot personally. In the middle of a battle, not everywhere and everything is being blown to smithereens. I gather in 'The Thin Red Line', the director would have loud tanks making their way across a field and then he'd focus on something like a snail...showing that despite the madness of a world war, other parts of the world continue as normal.

Obviously you dont see any naturalistic things in space apart from space itself. It is a desolate and intriguing place - even when planets are banging seven shades of ***** out of each other.

Last edited by Steve1977; 19-09-2011 at 19:39.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:43   #136
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
The problem with that opening shot is that you have no idea who is who, why they're attacking each other or what the ultimate goal is.

Compare it to the ending space battles in A New Hope and Jedi and it's clearly obvious who is who and what they're attacking each other for.
Bit whereas the original films were very much black and white, the prequels are a shade of grey in that it's not clear who exactly is the villain. Im assuming things like this was a deliberate creative decision by Lucas to be honest with you but you never know.

Given how dodgy they are, Im sure you guys can come up with lots more reasons to dislike the prequels though rather than just the suggestions RedLetterMedia comes up with.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:47   #137
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
You've just made me put the DVD on which is damn near unforgiveable... anyway, it's certainly not nit picking in my book. Nor is it explained away by geography. You should be able to see hundreds of ships and battles in that opening shot. But you see none. Because George Lucas either a) doesn't give a rat's ass or b) he's mocking you. Either way... pure dross.
It is nit picking to an extraordinary, comical degree. The point of hiding the battle behind the perspective of the ship is to suddenly plunge the viewer into it a few seconds later. It works.

It highlights how poor the RLM things are at criticism if anything. Thats quite generous of me mind, they're not really critiques at all, just long, nitpicky, fanboy comedy reviews.

Last edited by KRW; 19-09-2011 at 19:49.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 20:14   #138
Guest 65023
Trusted User

Watched RotJ woth my son who saw it for the first time on Saturday.
None of the major complaints bothered me in the least, not even the dreaded "nooo".
The only thing that annoyed me, again, was the pointless adding in of extra detail, ie things moving about in the background.
But then, SW was never as important as Indy to me.
Guest 65023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 21:26   #139
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
It is nit picking to an extraordinary, comical degree.
Oh dear. It's as indicative as any of the cinematic crimes Lucas has commited these past 15 years.

Quote:
The point of hiding the battle behind the perspective of the ship is to suddenly plunge the viewer into it a few seconds later.
I think you're managing to miss every point made here. It works in your sentence above. Lucas and his SFX team fail to hide behind the ship. You know what's underneath before you see it, and that it's tranquil because Lucas has shown you. In blatant visual terms. Then he changes his mind. It's. Retarded.

Quote:
It highlights how poor the RLM things are at criticism if anything.
Again, have you read the thread? RLM didn't mention it.

Quote:
Thats quite generous of me mind, they're not really critiques at all, just long, nitpicky, fanboy comedy reviews.
You're calling RLM poor, but being generous with it, and defending the prequels. OK. I think we're sorted.

If you can find more insightful critiques than RLM of the prequels feel free to point us in the right direction.
Old 19-09-2011, 21:59   #140
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:

I think you're managing to miss every point made here. It works in your sentence above. Lucas and his SFX team fail to hide behind the ship. You know what's underneath before you see it, and that it's tranquil because Lucas has shown you. In blatant visual terms. Then he changes his mind. It's. Retarded..

I've no idea what that even means. 'You know whats underneath before you see it and its tranquil because Lucas has shown you'? You do see that the ship is moving in the opening shot, right? Moving. Wonder where it's going? Its moving. Where are those two ships going on such a hurry? It's still moving. **** me, there's a battle underneath. That must have been where it was going.

I did think this was something RLM brought up, I admit, because its a silly point that all you need do is watch the clip closely to dismiss.

Quote:

You're calling RLM poor, but being generous with it, and defending the prequels. OK. I think we're sorted.

If you can find more insightful critiques than RLM of the prequels feel free to point us in the right direction..
I don't know what that means either, tbh. They're not critiques at all, that implies some sort of analysis and a somewhat detached viewpoint. RLM fails on both. This is based on TPM only, as I didnt bother with the other two.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote