Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2011, 11:00   #1
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
The Manchester United Thread 2010/2011

Continued from here:
http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/fo...d.php?t=605007
Old 22-03-2011, 11:16   #2
campdave
Trusted User

Oh no, we don't get comedy titles on this one
Old 22-03-2011, 11:56   #3
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
Oh no, we don't get comedy titles on this one
Yeah did it to us too...

He's gone mad with power...
Old 22-03-2011, 13:07   #4
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverDawg View Post
Yeah forgot about that one. Should have put the "Good old Carragher" one in too. (Lou didn't really mean that one though)
Yeah, looking back now, I'd say he deserves it for all the playacting he has done since he has been in England. Missing a game and a few tears is about the right punishment.

Good ol' dipper Carragher.
Old 22-03-2011, 14:46   #5
D J Fryer
Trusted User

Just been reading some of the cobblers Sandeep posted in the last thread.

The reason players go into 50/50 tackles recklessly is precisely because they do not consider they can win the ball less recklessly and they do not want to pull out/side step and allow the opponent to win the ball (or "bottle it" as most players would say).

Both Holden and Evans could have pulled out but they didn't and neither would their team mates or manager have wanted them to. To say either one of them should have pulled out because they might injure their opponent is naive. Nobody would be patting them on the back for their gentlemanly conduct when the opponent puts the ball through to their forward to stick it in the net.

People get hurt playing football. A minority of injuries are intentional. Some are reckless. Some are not even fouls. Players who take the risk of making a reckless tackle should be appropriately punished.

Evans received a straight red. That seems an appropriate punishment for an unintentional but reckless tackle notwithstanding that Holden's injury may see him out for 6 months.
Old 22-03-2011, 16:06   #6
Guest 50108

In other news: Manchester United parent firm loses £109m in 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12818832
Old 24-03-2011, 23:20   #7
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
There's a BBC production coming up called "United", which is about the Munich air crash:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777034/

It has Clint Mansell doing the score which is how I found out about it as he is a Wolves fan and frequents a message board I use. It's due to air on Easter Sunday so he says.

Harry Gregg was mentioned as being a helpful resource though Utd weren't particularly involved. One thing he also mentioned he found out in the research for it, which I also never realised about it, was that the game they were flying back to was against Wolves.

They did a screening for the survivors and the families and it apparently went over very well. I shall definitely be tuning in anyway. Thought I'd give you a heads up.
Old 26-03-2011, 08:50   #8
fattyboombatty
The idiots are winning

thanks.

fergie and the beeb might be kissing and making up, according to newspaper stories.
Old 26-03-2011, 15:21   #9
marc_angelus
Trusted User

quarter of an hour gone, England beating Wales 2-0, 2 assists for Ashley Young, one from the left, one from the right, could be doing that for us next season!
Old 28-03-2011, 09:32   #10
dean richardson
Trusted User

whilst watching the england game i couldnt shake the idea of buying scott parker.

we need a replacement for hargreaves and challenge for fletcher.

I know hes not the best player in the world but we need a workhorse in midfield to be busy, break up play and then play it simple.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:45   #11
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean richardson View Post
whilst watching the england game i couldnt shake the idea of buying scott parker.

we need a replacement for hargreaves and challenge for fletcher.

I know hes not the best player in the world but we need a workhorse in midfield to be busy, break up play and then play it simple.
Is he not a bit old to be signing as a replacement for anyone though? He's a very good solid player, but wouldn't be one for the future, hard to see a club like United signing him as anything but a stopgap.
Is he not a bit injury prone too?
Old 28-03-2011, 10:16   #12
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Just shows what the Glazers have done to our expectations in signing players.

Wouldn't a 'stop-gap' type deal be something that would be done in January? Why would you be looking for a short-term solution in the summer?
Old 28-03-2011, 11:09   #13
dean richardson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Is he not a bit old to be signing as a replacement for anyone though? He's a very good solid player, but wouldn't be one for the future, hard to see a club like United signing him as anything but a stopgap.
Is he not a bit injury prone too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post

Wouldn't a 'stop-gap' type deal be something that would be done in January? Why would you be looking for a short-term solution in the summer?
had the same thoughts myself...but i think along with a playmaker we desperately need a stopper. A workhorse to protect.
I cant think of a young player who would come in and do the job who is proven at PL level. so a 2 yr stop gap to allow the team to grow and win things is ok with me.
I know rodwell is lauded but he hasnt done anything yet to consider dropping him in the centre mid from august.

I know smalling has come in and made the step up from "nowhere" but it is rare.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:19   #14
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post

United, as most teams do, benifit from having a holding midfielder. Scott Parker is a good short term option for a season or two or maybe even longer. I don't think West ham would have sold him in January even if Utd had tried. Again I don't see Utd with a £100m budget to bring in lots of players for next season so have to priortise where they spend their money. A replacement keeper has got to be sorted first and without selling how much transfer money will be left after that?

I can remember when Utd bought Sherringham most people thought good player but why are we buying a player so near the end of his career, turned out all right though.
Old 28-03-2011, 13:10   #15
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
There's a BBC production coming up called "United", which is about the Munich air crash:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777034/

It has Clint Mansell doing the score which is how I found out about it as he is a Wolves fan and frequents a message board I use. It's due to air on Easter Sunday so he says.

Harry Gregg was mentioned as being a helpful resource though Utd weren't particularly involved. One thing he also mentioned he found out in the research for it, which I also never realised about it, was that the game they were flying back to was against Wolves.

They did a screening for the survivors and the families and it apparently went over very well. I shall definitely be tuning in anyway. Thought I'd give you a heads up.
Thanks for that update; I hadn't seen they'd already done a preview screening; good that it has gone down well. I usually fear the worst with these type of dramas but we'll soon see.

In other news Mike Dean has apparently been handed the semi against City, though I haven't heard anymore about Atkinson getting the final as was rumoured recently.
Old 28-03-2011, 14:27   #16
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Another bit of info is that Paul Weller has written a song for the end credits, called 'Devotion'.
Old 29-03-2011, 06:04   #17
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Let it be true
Old 29-03-2011, 06:24   #18
D J Fryer
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Let it be true
The distinct lack of news in that article makes me think its typical "international break recycle an old story" news. Sneijder has 'hinted' he may be open to a move to OT yet no quotes from him or anyone close to him. Quite how has he 'hinted' then?

Would love it to be true but if we were paying top whack for him (as we always seem to) then I can see us losing a few people like Wellbeck/Macheda/Gibson/Brown to help pay for it.
Old 29-03-2011, 06:26   #19
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by D J Fryer View Post
Would love it to be true but if we were paying top whack for him (as we always seem to) then I can see us losing a few people like Wellbeck/Macheda/Gibson/Brown to help pay for it.
You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Last edited by Fever Dawg; 29-03-2011 at 06:26.
Old 29-03-2011, 06:30   #20
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Let it be true
Don't let me be the one to burst your bubble, but I'll show my backside on Manchester Town Hall steps if he joins Manchester United this summer.