Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21-03-2011, 15:27   #1001
dean richardson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep C. View Post
It's nothing to do with him being a Man Utd player. Yes, Evans is not known for bad challenges, only being a poor footballer. .
with the way your CBs are playing you have the nerve to call others poor! Evans would walk into your team at the moment

I heard of the red card and was expecting a real nasty tackle when i saw it on MOTD. It was not as bad as i imagined. I thought he went for the ball in a 50:50 and mistimed it. however on replay i can see it was a red card and he misses 3 games. Fair enough.

good to see no tears from bolton over how rough utd are ? maybe something to learn at the emirates

Last edited by dean richardson; 21-03-2011 at 15:28.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:57   #1002
SteM
Just Member

Quote:
It's nothing to do with him being a Man Utd player. Yes, Evans is not known for bad challenges, only being a poor footballer. But I just don't understand the mentality of going into a crunching challenge like that in this day and age when someone is likely to come off worse and get severely injured. All the talk above is exactly what happened post-Ramsey. "He didn't mean it" - of course he didn't mean it! I don't think Sir Fergie is in the business of putting psychopath's into his team. It just seems really really unnecessary to go studs up like that, and it's the mentality that needs to be changed.
It's a contact sport that is played at speed at a professional level - sometimes players do things that they don't mean to.

He's got his red card and his suspension. He's apolagised and it's been accepted by Holden. You want a longer suspension, did you call for this after Carragher's tackle on Nani or do you just want to wind United fans up?

You think he's a poor footballer, not every team can afford to have someone as good as Koscielny or Squillaci as a backup I suppose.
Old 21-03-2011, 16:19   #1003
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Nani was only out for a week though (despite his crying). I think you should be suspended for how long your victim is injured for
Old 21-03-2011, 16:32   #1004
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean richardson View Post
good to see no tears from bolton over how rough utd are ? maybe something to learn at the emirates
And possibly at OT, too, given the uproar about the tackle on Nani. Let he who is without sin and all that.
Old 21-03-2011, 16:35   #1005
mamboboy
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM View Post
It's a contact sport that is played at speed at a professional level - sometimes players do things that they don't mean to.

He's got his red card and his suspension. He's apolagised and it's been accepted by Holden. You want a longer suspension, did you call for this after Carragher's tackle on Nani or do you just want to wind United fans up?

You think he's a poor footballer, not every team can afford to have someone as good as Koscielny or Squillaci as a backup I suppose.
That's the thing with Liverpool fans though. They constantly claim United get away with murder, while at the same time completely ignore the benefits Liverpool get from refs, especially when at the kop.
I criticized their penalty yesterday, one it was a metre outside the box, and two there was no contact. What did I get in reply? Someone saying it was a penalty and that Brucey let's Sunderland lose every time they play United. Could you imagine if that was Nani who went down? We'd be getting it in the neck for weeks.

Funny thing is, Evans won the ball. Carragher didn't touch it, left Nani with a gashed leg and was a few degrees away from breaking a bone... yet ask them which one was the most dangerous and deserved a ban... and it'll be Evans every day of the week.
Old 21-03-2011, 16:40   #1006
TheGreat
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean richardson View Post
I heard of the red card and was expecting a real nasty tackle when i saw it on MOTD. It was not as bad as i imagined. I thought he went for the ball in a 50:50 and mistimed it. however on replay i can see it was a red card and he misses 3 games. Fair enough.
The panel on Soccer Saturday were wetting themselves over it so I thought it would be horrific also. I didn't think it was that bad when I saw it on MOTD. They freezed the picture and both players had left the ground and had studs showing (although I don't think it is physically possible to not show your studs in that type of head on tackle).

Evans won the ball (Holden actually mistimed and wasn't close) and because of this Evans followed through on to his leg. It was a nasty injury but I think it was a 50/50 challenge that both went in to win. It's just a pity Holden got injured so badly.

Last edited by TheGreat; 21-03-2011 at 16:40.
Old 21-03-2011, 16:43   #1007
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
Why so paranoid?Evans got away with assaulting Drogba last year,he didn't with this one,it happens.he's not exactly an angel.
Forgot about that one. Just made me smile thinking about it

Seriously though, I don't think Evans is an angel. But there is a certain irony to an Arsenal fan moaning about tough tacklers. Did he watch any of the Man Utd Arsenal games in the last 20 years? Just one player who gave his all in the tackle like Evans and Holden did would make the difference to their team, but they'd rather have a team that play keepball on the edge of the opposition area.

I'd hate to see tackling removed from football and the more moaning that happens, the more likely this is. Sometimes tackles go wrong but 99% (maybe even 100% now Keane has packed up ) of the time they're honest mistakes.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:05   #1008
dean richardson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerl100 View Post
And possibly at OT, too, given the uproar about the tackle on Nani. Let he who is without sin and all that.
the tears regards carrager (ignoring nanis own) were due to no red card shown.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:08   #1009
dean richardson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Nani was only out for a week though (despite his crying). I think you should be suspended for how long your victim is injured for
no one would dare tackle Hargreaves or michael owen if they came back.
it would be like a life sentance
Old 21-03-2011, 17:12   #1010
Guest 30871
Trusted User

After what happened to Nani, this reaction is really baffling. Of course it'll be gooners moaning about tough tackling. You guys haven't seen your players hacked to pieces or kicked off the park time and time again. I'm not saying everyone should play tippy-tappy football either, as we've expertly demonstrated it doesn't seem to work very well all the time. No one wants tackling banned, again as most Arsenal players tend to find out it's a contact sport, but irrational tackles need to be booted out. The 70's comparison is as much idiotic as it is blind stupidity because the game has evolved so much. At the speed it's played at, you cannot make tackles like the recent ones from Evans, Carragher, etc without repercussions.

Evans isn't a dirty player as far as I know, I just know him to be not very good (and this is from what I've seen and general consensus from my Man U supporting mates, not to start a slanging match with our CB's who demonstrate their ability to knock each other out expertly). But the more I see the challenge, the more it just makes no sense to me for him to go in like that when it's blatantly clear that someone is going to get very badly hurt. Claiming it's a 50/50 is pointless because of that fact, it's only a 50/50 as to who will be on a stretcher.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:16   #1011
marc_angelus
Trusted User

People are incensed about the Carragher one because the referee didn't do anything about it, it should have been a red card, like Evans quite rightly got.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:25   #1012
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboboy View Post
That's the thing with Liverpool fans though. They constantly claim United get away with murder, while at the same time completely ignore the benefits Liverpool get from refs, especially when at the kop.
I criticized their penalty yesterday, one it was a metre outside the box, and two there was no contact. What did I get in reply? Someone saying it was a penalty and that Brucey let's Sunderland lose every time they play United. Could you imagine if that was Nani who went down? We'd be getting it in the neck for weeks.

Funny thing is, Evans won the ball. Carragher didn't touch it, left Nani with a gashed leg and was a few degrees away from breaking a bone... yet ask them which one was the most dangerous and deserved a ban... and it'll be Evans every day of the week.
Another Liverpool obsessive...where's these constant claims then?As for no contact,even Bruce acknowledged it was a blatant foul yesterday,you are the only one i've heard say thee was no contact,Mensah was lucky to stay on,professional foul definitely these arguments just go round in circles,every team gets good/bad decisions,live with it,whining about it won't change anything.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:52   #1013
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

I've only seen the Youtube footage, was in the middle of nowhere for the weekend. Looked a dreadful challenge, even if there wasn't intent, it was reckless to say the least.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:57   #1014
swanny
RIP

Quote:
. What did I get in reply? Someone saying it was a penalty
It was according the the linesperson

Quote:
that Brucey let's Sunderland lose every time they play United.
They do, add all previous teams managed by Brucie to that too.

Quote:
Carragher didn't touch it, left Nani with a gashed leg and was a few degrees away from breaking a bone...
a few degrees? Really? Thanks for the detailed insight doc.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:37   #1015
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
By that logic Ben Thatcher should have only been suspended for 2 weeks for his assault on Pedro Mendes.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:39   #1016
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
It was according the the linesperson
Love that defense when a decision goes for your team
Old 21-03-2011, 19:51   #1017
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
After what happened to Nani, this reaction is really baffling. Of course it'll be gooners moaning about tough tackling. You guys haven't seen your players hacked to pieces or kicked off the park time and time again. I'm not saying everyone should play tippy-tappy football either, as we've expertly demonstrated it doesn't seem to work very well all the time. No one wants tackling banned, again as most Arsenal players tend to find out it's a contact sport, but irrational tackles need to be booted out. The 70's comparison is as much idiotic as it is blind stupidity because the game has evolved so much. At the speed it's played at, you cannot make tackles like the recent ones from Evans, Carragher, etc without repercussions.

Evans isn't a dirty player as far as I know, I just know him to be not very good (and this is from what I've seen and general consensus from my Man U supporting mates, not to start a slanging match with our CB's who demonstrate their ability to knock each other out expertly). But the more I see the challenge, the more it just makes no sense to me for him to go in like that when it's blatantly clear that someone is going to get very badly hurt. Claiming it's a 50/50 is pointless because of that fact, it's only a 50/50 as to who will be on a stretcher.
I don't remember this same condemnation for your captain after his 'horror tackle' led to a Wolves player being stretchered off in November?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...g-cut-leg.html
Old 21-03-2011, 19:54   #1018
Guest 30871
Trusted User

Yawwwwwwwwn, I'll save you the trouble of digging out the Gallas tackle against Bolton at home last year. Or the Wilshere one against Brum at the beginning of this season.

Cesc isn't that type of player though, I mean look on his twitter there's tons of pics with him and his family. He's a good boy, not a bad bone in his body.
Old 21-03-2011, 20:05   #1019
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

So we'll treat the Evans tackle with the same apathy. Okay?

Run along now, ta ta.

Last edited by Fever Dawg; 21-03-2011 at 20:22.
Old 21-03-2011, 20:18   #1020
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post
By that logic Ben Thatcher should have only been suspended for 2 weeks for his assault on Pedro Mendes.
Wasn't perhaps my most serious of ideas
Closed Thread