Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 13-09-2010, 23:23   #1
Richie
Trusted User

Mildred Pierce HBO 5 part miniseries 2011

Oh this looks excellent and it would appear that it stays true to the original James M. Cain novel (unlike the 1945 film, which is great in it's own way).

Directed by Todd Haynes, starring Kate Winslet, Evan Rachel Wood and Guy Pearce. Cannot wait to see this!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 02:09   #2
Richie
Trusted User

So Parts 1 and 2 aired in the US at the weekend and it's frankly magnificent. It's a faithful adaptation of the book, almost to the point of reverence. I feel some may find the first part heavy going (and be put off) as it is very leisurely paced but you need to see Mildred's plight and struggle to get a sense of who this woman is. There's a shot where Kate Winslet looks out of a cafe window after a day pounding the streets of depression era Los Angeles looking for work and it tells you everything about where she's at with just a look. Superb. In some ways Mildred is a hard woman to like because she makes such stupid mistakes for the sake of her pride and snotty child Veda but that's what makes her so interesting, that she can't help but love the child who demeans her at every turn.
Everything about the production is top notch and it's pretty much exactly as I imagined it to be from reading the book. I really hope others here will give it a chance. If you like handsome HBO productions that favour character development (and it is essentially a character study) then this is for you. Unlike the 1945 film this isn't a murder mystery film noir as none of that was in the book, it's far more low key.
Old 29-03-2011, 07:05   #3
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Preferred Yootha Joyce in the 70s version myself..
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 07:31   #4
new
Sand Dab

Looking forward to seeing these on Sky Atlantic HD (sometime in April I think?)
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36   #5
Richie
Trusted User

Overall this was outstanding. Evan Rachel Wood (as the adult Veda) was a revelation to me as I've always found her kind of affected previously (especially her overly camp turn in True Blood) but here she nailed the venomous, duplicitous nature of her character brilliantly.

Kate Winslet carries it all with incredible nuance as the tightly wound verging on neurotic Mildred (her permanently furrowed brow makes you want to reach into the screen and give the poor dear a muscle relaxant)! She's the kind of woman you could dismiss as a misguided and maybe somewhat naive sap but her performance really let's you see that everything she does comes from this insatiable need to have her daughter's love and approval, which is quite a change as usually these stories involve a child seeking the approval of it's parent. Winslet really makes you feel Mildred's betrayal with a performance that's as good as anything else she's done previously.

If there's one negative it's that the story overall is not quite dramatically satisfying (the same thing applies to the book) and on that level the 1945 film succeeds as it managed to include the essential truth of the characters whilst framing it with a narrative that had real payoff. The miniseries and book are no more "realistic" as the plot features several melodramatic turn of events which wouldn't be out of place in 'Dynasty' but the film's murder-mystery certainly added a level of narrative satisfaction that is missing here.

That said, as an adaptation of the novel it is nigh on perfect. It is the book brought to the screen as written with every period and character detail intact.

Last edited by Richie; 12-04-2011 at 12:41.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

Sky says June for this now in the UK.
Old 12-04-2011, 13:32   #7
BigH
Trusted User

only up to Ep 2, but it's really good

not a fan of Kate Winslet, but she is exceptional in this
Old 27-06-2011, 06:41   #8
baloobas
Resident Geebag

Just finished this, Winslet was absolutely magnificent and will clean up come awards time.
Really hated the Veda character, she was such a spiteful little cow but it made for great viewing. Guy Pearce was very good as usual (although I'd love to see him play a normal bloke again instead of all the 'types' he's been playing lately).
Melissa Leo is an actress I find hard to warm to, she played a good decent friend to Mildred but (something about her face) I kept waiting for her to do something horrible.

Good stuff all round, I'll have to watch the movie now to see what they changed.

Last edited by baloobas; 27-06-2011 at 07:46.
baloobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 20:53   #9
EdgeOfVictory
Live from the Troubador

Just got caught up with this on Sky+ before the finale tomorrow night. Great stuff.

Do quite rate Kate Winslet as an actress, but she's not normally in any films I would be that fussed to watch. She's brilliant in this though. Really enjoyed it and hoping that the finale doesn't disappoint
EdgeOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 09:20   #10
Guest 61747
Collector Of Cool Stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
Preferred Yootha Joyce in the 70s version myself..
Yes, it's shame that they have dropped George from this version.
Guest 61747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 07:51   #11
CRB
Trusted User

Well that's 5 hours of my life I wasted.

Utter. Crap.
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 08:04   #12
Coolhand
Idiot detector

Got to agree there. Thought this was utter mince.
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 08:13   #13
mjb1975
Blandiblub

We let all 5 pile up on our Sky box and watched ep 1 last night. Can see what Ritchie means by the first ep being a bit of a slow burner, but will stick with it.

Yes, the older daughter is very annoying.

I thought the title sequence was very cool.
Old 06-08-2011, 15:08   #14
EdgeOfVictory
Live from the Troubador

Just watched the last episode. Overall a good miniseries, but thought the ending was a bit unsatisfying
EdgeOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 14:00   #15
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeOfVictory View Post
Just watched the last episode. Overall a good miniseries, but thought the ending was a bit unsatisfying
Well I did say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
If there's one negative it's that the story overall is not quite dramatically satisfying (the same thing applies to the book) and on that level the 1945 film succeeds as it managed to include the essential truth of the characters whilst framing it with a narrative that had real payoff. The miniseries and book are no more "realistic" as the plot features several melodramatic turn of events which wouldn't be out of place in 'Dynasty' but the film's murder-mystery certainly added a level of narrative satisfaction that is missing here.