Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 09:31   #41
Guest 64691
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
MOD means Manufactured on Demand, or Burned on Demand in reality. Manufactured just sounds better from a marketing standpoint I guess.
On Demand means downloads - US only, as far as I know.
Thanks, Livius. This seems a very dear do and on top of that, although I am on a Broadband connection, each of the pages on their website takes up to a minute to load. So who knows how long it would take to download a 90 minute movie off there at that speed...all week, probably.
Guest 64691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33   #42
douglasb
Suedehead.

There is, in my head, a much better solution to the online distro method. Once distro speeds reach an acceptable capability, the movies should consider opening up their archives on what amounts to a micro-transaction basis.

At the moment, we pay anything between £3 and £20 to own a physical copy of the movie - and often they're things that we don't NEED to own but it's the only way to see it.

But I think a lot of people would pay 29p or something just to watch a title when and where they want. There are a lot of films we may only want to watch once or a few times in our lifetime, so why do we NEED to own them? And if they were readily accessible, there's no need to store them on our own drives or worry about losing the copy we paid over the odds for.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:45   #43
Livius
Is it far?

^
But I like my physical media. If I've paid for something I want to be able to hold it in my hands. With downloads, illogical as it may be, I feel like I've paid over my cash and don't actually have anything to show for it.
Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48   #44
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRayner View Post
Thanks, Livius. This seems a very dear do and on top of that, although I am on a Broadband connection, each of the pages on their website takes up to a minute to load. So who knows how long it would take to download a 90 minute movie off there at that speed...all week, probably.
I don't know how long the downloads take, but the web site is using flash technology and that slows loading time a lot.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15   #45
douglasb
Suedehead.

When you go to the cinema or any kind of performance, you pay for the experience. You leave only with thoughts and feelings and memories. You don't leave with anything tangible.

The personal 'ownership' of movies is a recently new phenomenom and the idea that, in effect, we'd all become librarians and archivists even newer. (And this is from someone who collects records ...)

But even as someone who also likes 'stuff' the idea of switching on my TV and being able to browse (and then immediately watch) the entire history of the moving image is somewhat appealing. I just don't want to pay £3.99 for the priviledge - and then be asked to pay £3.99 to repeat the experience 6 years down the line.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24   #46
Livius
Is it far?

^
Well yes, but you pay a damn sight more to go to the cinema and, like you say, there's nothing physical to take home with you. The whole VOD idea just seems like a rejigged DIVX scheme to me.
Old 08-04-2009, 21:29   #47
Guest 50325
Trusted User

If I buy a physical disc and don't want to see the film again, I sell it on ebay or Amazon marketplace and get some of my money back. You can't do that with a download.

Last edited by Frank M; 08-04-2009 at 21:32.
Guest 50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 17:20   #48
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
The Warners apologists are out in full force at the HTF. It's really funny to see them flailing away telling everyone how GREAT some of these transfers are. I've seen a bunch of them and only a couple are really good, with most of them falling into the adequate category and several below adequate. Someone pointed out that if any other studio had put these out like this the outcry would be long and loud. Needless to say, the apologists ignored that comment. But it's so true. I'm happy to have a few of these movies, for sure. But that doesn't mean you don't call a spade a spade.
Which were the two good ones?
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 22:49   #49
Livius
Is it far?

Press release for the new wave via the HTF -

Quote:
“WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION” ADDS 15 CLASSIC MOVIE TITLES TO ITS POPULAR ONLINE SERVICE INCLUDING “A WOMAN REBELS” AND “THOUSANDS CHEER”

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group also Launches “Golden History of Hollywood” Podcast Offering Movie Fans a ‘Virtual Time Machine’ back to the Golden Age of Hollywood

Burbank, Calif., April 23, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG), today announced the addition of 15 classic movie titles to its popular “Warner Archive Collection” (WBshop.com - The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios: Warner Archive) online service including “Thousands Cheer” starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland, and “A Woman Rebels” starring Katharine Hepburn. This month’s releases offer fans a variety of choices that include westerns, comedies, musicals and costume dramas. The Warner Archive Collection currently offers 165 timeless movies and by year’s end will have more than 300 titles online.

Spanning more than 60 years of filmmaking, the Warner Archive Collection offers movie fans access to Warner Bros. Entertainment’s unparalleled film library consisting of pre-1986 MGM, RKO Radio Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures films. These timeless classics can be downloaded or purchased on DVDs that are made to order for the customer using a state-of-the-art Manufacturing on Demand (MOD) process. For a complete list of titles visit WarnerArchive.com.

Also announced today, WBHEG launched an exciting podcast series titled “The Golden History of Hollywood.” Hosted by George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video and available on iTunes (Apple - iTunes - The world?s most popular digital media player.) and numerous online sites for free, this series will take movie fans back in time to the “Golden Era” of Hollywood. “The Golden History of Hollywood” features captivating archival recordings from Warner Bros.’ vault including behind-the-scenes interviews with stars, radio editions of movies from the “Lux Radio Theater” and MGM’s “Good News” radio programs and much more.

“The launch of Warner Archive exceeded our wildest expectations,” said George Feltenstein, senior vice president, Theatrical Catalog Marketing, Warner Home Video. “We’ve had such a tremendous response to this effort to the point where we had to bring additional resources online to meet demand. Clearly there is an insatiable appetite for classic movies and television shows.”

To order their movies, fans visit WarnerArchive.com, select their titles, and upon purchase, a state-of-the-art manufacturing on demand (MOD) system creates a made-to-order DVD. The system places the DVD into a hard plastic Amaray case featuring custom artwork; shrink wraps it and ships the finished package to the customer which arrives in approximately five days. The cost per title is $19.95, plus shipping. Alternatively, consumers can purchase digital downloads of these classic films to enjoy immediately on their PC. The cost for a digital download is $14.95 per title. Warner Archive Collection is currently available only to consumers in the United States.
You've got to hand it to Mr F. for having the neck to say there's an insatiable appetite for this material yet it doesn't warrant a proper release.
Old 23-04-2009, 23:27   #50
Guest 57579
Tennessee Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
You've got to hand it to Mr F. for having the neck to say there's an insatiable appetite for this material yet it doesn't warrant a proper release.
I'm with you Livius. It's spin of the highest order. He's essentially admitting that they never imagined these titles would have any sales potential and he's amazed people were gullible enough to spend more for an inferior product. (A statement I'd agree with actually.)
Guest 57579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 07:13   #51
Guest 53019
Trusted User

George Feltenstein's chutzpah never ceases to amaze - the thought of listening to him on a podcast is enough to make me want to vomit on the ground.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 21:45   #52
Guest 68244
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefro View Post
I'm with you Livius. It's spin of the highest order. He's essentially admitting that they never imagined these titles would have any sales potential and he's amazed people were gullible enough to spend more for an inferior product. (A statement I'd agree with actually.)
I have bought the Hammer rarity Crescendo and both visuals and audio are on par with any other dvd I have.
The packaging is also the same as any other basic dvd.
I got mine from ebay so bypassed Warners unfortunate overpriced international postage.

But rarities that I can't get any other way are fine like this.
Sure , I'd prefer to pay a tenner via Amazon Marketplace but if they are not commercially viable then so be it.

Maybe Warner were fed up of losing money on films which is why they took the Best Buy exclusive route and now this which certainly makes them easier to buy than from Best Buy

Last edited by aceofwands; 24-04-2009 at 21:45.
Guest 68244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 21:56   #53
Guest 8146
Trusted User

For me the pleasure of physical media is in knowing that I will always be able to watch those films. DVD's seem to be going OOP so quickly that if you don't grab them while they are available, you may never see them again.

A good example is The Bed Sitting Room. I will buy it as soon as it is available (soon baby, soon) and it will be 'safe' in my collection from then on. When people see my DVD collection they probably assume that I am just another victim of our consumer culture. I tell myself that it is the films that are important not the DVDs; I don't 'need' to own them (not sure my friends are convinced).
Guest 8146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 17:27   #54
anephric
Kidney Thief

I've just realised McQueen's An Enemy of the People is available through this: has anyone bought it? Does it look particularly shabby? If not...
Old 27-04-2009, 18:54   #55
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Joel, the two good ones are The Money Trap and Wichita, both of which look just fine.

Anephric, Enemy Of The People looks just okay - nothing terrible about it, but nothing outstanding, either. I was happy to finally see the film - sadly, it's just not very good.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 20:46   #56
Livius
Is it far?

Here's a bit of, frankly depressing, news via a poster at the HTF -

Quote:
While looking for UPC numbers for all of their releases, I found the following films (besides Bright Leaf) that are listed on Warner's website but at this time are hidden, so all of them might be added soon:

Don Juan (1926)
John Paul Jones (1959)
Moonfleet (1955)
Four Daughters (1938)
Billy the Kid (1941)
Princess O'Rourke (1943)
Badman's Territory (1946)
Roughly Speaking (1945)
Breakfast for Two (1937)
Tom Dick and Harry (1941)
Tarzan and the She-Devil (1953)
Johnny Eager (1942)
Party Girl (1958)
Above and Beyond (1952)
All the Brothers Were Valiant (1953)
Tarzan and the Slave Girl (1950)
Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)
Broadway Rhythm (1944)
Tarzan's Magic Fountain (1949)
Tarzan's Savage Fury (1952)
Castle on the Hudson (1940)
The Fallen Sparrow (1943)
Dust Be My Destiny (1939)
Pride of the Marines (1945)
It's Love I'm After (1937)
Four's a Crowd (1938)
Hard to Get (1938)
The Great Garrick (1937)
Anyone hoping for a Robert Taylor, John Garfield, or Lex Barker Tarzan box can now seemingly kiss that prospect goodbye.
Old 27-04-2009, 20:54   #57
Livius
Is it far?

The Beaver reviews the Archive release of I Was a Communist for the F.B.I.
Old 28-04-2009, 20:52   #58
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
Joel, the two good ones are The Money Trap and Wichita, both of which look just fine.
Many thanks.

I saw The Money Trap when it first came out and apart from once on television I never seen it since. I remember enjoying the film. As I like Glenn Ford and Elke Sommer plus, of course, I'm a huge fan of Rita Hayworth, I'd like to see this movie again. If it becomes available over here, I'll buy it. (It's currently being touted on ebay by some aspiring opportunist for $39,99!!!!!)

I don't think I ever saw Wichita in a cinema. It's been on TV a few times - panned, scanned and ruined of course. I'd love to see a widescreen presentation. (Is this movie where there's a Lawrence Of Arabia type sustained shot near the beginning where the foreground shows cowboys making camp for the night and approaching from a long way off is Joel McCrea? Or am I thinking of another movie?)

Last edited by JoelCairo; 30-04-2009 at 17:03. Reason: idiotic spelling mistake
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 11:02   #59
Guest 1257
Trusted User

The sad thing I took from the latest HTF chat is that while we are able to get such "masterpieces" as Howard The Duck and Transformers on DVD, there are "no plans" for a BluRay, or even an anamorphic DVD, of Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon".

It's actually criminal negligence.
Guest 1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 15:30   #60
saltysam
Trusted User

Can you definitely order any of these titles from UK? There's one title i'll pay daft money for but when i get to check out i get a message elling me they don't ship internationally
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote