Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 22:04   #1061
Guest 19948
Ex Gamerholic

Well Rose has the mouth of a monkey (and expanding by the look of it)
The new doctor seems to add all the missing bits to the monkey face..
Old 03-01-2010, 22:45   #1062
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr90 View Post
(To clarify why I was unfair: don't forget RTD has ruined the timelords and Gallifrey for EVERYONE now.)
Has he ruined them? Any writer can still do more or less what they want with them.

Personally I'd prefer them to be totally ignored but it seems like a lot people like overblown pseudo-religious mythology buggering up their sci fi - I blame the hippies

(see DS9, BSG etc etc)
Old 03-01-2010, 23:04   #1063
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Has he ruined them? Any writer can still do more or less what they want with them.
Yes, he has. No, they can't.

Look where RTD has left them. Gallfrey is erased from all time, and he's locked the time lords in a box (the time lock) because they're a load of completely loopy evil mentalists.

Therefore, any writer who wants to do a story with the time lords, or set on Gallifrey, has two problems.

1) How to unlock the box? Both in terms of finding method to unlock it, and to establish a reason why it's being unlocked.

2) Having done that, they're left with the mentalist version of the time lords to use. I really can't see how anyone could undo them from the current 'completely loopy, want to END TIME ITSELF' status quo, short of ignoring continuity and pretending the RTD stuff never happened.

So, yeah. I can't see a satisfactory way around it. Hence my judgment, which I stand by.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26   #1064
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
I think it was less to give Smith a dramatic info and more an extension of RTD saying "You're not playing with my toys!", destroying the TARDIS so Moffat has to make a new one. To go with his new Doctor, new enemies, and new supporting cast.
The excuse they gave months ago was that they needed a new set for when they filmed in HD. The old one wasn't up to the highter scrutiny or something.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29   #1065
thescrounger
Trusted User

The Ten Doctors part 2 is up. I enjoyed it more than TEOT2.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40   #1066
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Yes, he has. No, they can't.

Look where RTD has left them. Gallfrey is erased from all time, and he's locked the time lords in a box (the time lock) because they're a load of completely loopy evil mentalists.

Therefore, any writer who wants to do a story with the time lords, or set on Gallifrey, has two problems.

1) How to unlock the box? Both in terms of finding method to unlock it, and to establish a reason why it's being unlocked.

2) Having done that, they're left with the mentalist version of the time lords to use. I really can't see how anyone could undo them from the current 'completely loopy, want to END TIME ITSELF' status quo, short of ignoring continuity and pretending the RTD stuff never happened.

So, yeah. I can't see a satisfactory way around it. Hence my judgment, which I stand by.

I agree with this to an extent. I actually expected him to reverse the loss of Gallifrey and bring it back for Moffat, but he seemed to totally change the way we'd viewed the end of the Time War.

Dalton DID say that the Doctor had taken something (I missed the name) and that this was going to allow him to destroy them. I wondered last night whether in fact Moffat had a way to undo what had happened and requested specifically that Davies leave things as they were?

Anyway, RTD's mastery of the deus ex machina and general 'pulled out of a hat' style means you can always bring Gallifrey back and not feel an iota of guilt that it is in iself a deus ex machina. The End of Time Part 2 contained a classic example of this from Davies when he reveals the death of the Master will undo his taking over of everyone, apparently making a nonsense of the machine in the first place and taking away any real peril for the humans. Not that we were worried but it would have been good to at least have an actual explanation...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52   #1067
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
The Ten Doctors part 2 is up. I enjoyed it more than TEOT2.
Hmmm

I mean fair play to the time and effort, but......

Well this might pee off a lot of you, but Murray Gold is back for Series "1"(5).
From HOT OF THE PRESS:

Quote:
So looking to the future then, and the Fifth Series, what is your involvement going to be?
I’ve been approached and we’ve talked about it and by December I should be working on things for Series 5. I have started writing some themes and it all looks good; I really wanted to work with Steven. Writing music for Doctor Who, there are no limitations on it; it’s not like other jobs which immediately create a ceiling to your ambitions, you know you have to work within these kind of confinements. There aren’t any confinements on Doctor Who and if there are in one episode, they’re pretty soon gotten rid of in another episode. I love Steven Moffat’s stuff…

With having a new head writer, producer, a new Doctor even, is there a sense that they want to keep the music as one of the few constants in the new series? Or will it change musically as well do you think?
I think they like the music and I’m sure they wanna make some refinements. I’m sure they don’t wanna throw out the baby and the bath water, otherwise they would have got somebody else. In all honesty I make refinements anyway, when I score Steven’s episodes, because they do come at the story from a different angle. I don’t know if you can even talk about a single approach, musically, to all of the episodes as they’ve been done so far – there’s a different approach to each one – and that’ll be the same again. I mean with Mark Gattiss and Gareth Roberts and people like that writing episodes, you know what their episodes are like from previous series. So it’s going to be that, with Steven’s comments, and Matt’s performance are going to be different and they might be different in structure somehow… every episode might not involve so much running down corridors! I don’t know.

In terms of the new series then, is there anything you have in mind, anything you’d like to do with the music? Even just perhaps in terms of the title theme…
I’ll play it to you…

You’ve done it?
I’ve been working on it…

Note: Murray played me what is likely to be his new take on the opening theme… all will be revealed in 2010. In short, it’s marvellous…

Last edited by new; 04-01-2010 at 09:53.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56   #1068
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

His music wouldn't be so bad if they'd mix it down a bit but it's so LOUD these days it's horribly distracting.

Also, I don't remember it seeming out of place on Moffat episodes so I guess it should be okay. I really like his version of the Doctor Who theme (though I get the impression here that I'm in a minority maybe) because I love orchestral stuff.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32   #1069
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Music is fine, I just wish it didn't get so bombastic whenever the doctor runs across the road to get a bag of chips (you get the idea...). It overuses dramatic tension, or is used to add tension/drama to scenes that don't warrant it.

But its the way its used, not the music itself.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06   #1070
Nana
Walk without rhythm

OK it wasn't great and yes, I'm glad RTD is gone. I love David Tennent's DR and am still not yet totally convinced a suitable replacement hase been found.

I did see an interesting drawing of the regeneration on one of the favourite blogs I visit, she's a young U.S. illustraitor, and while I don't think her DR looks as much like Tennent as he should, the drawing does capture the sadness of his regeneration imo. http://willdrawforcookies.blogspot.com/

Tennet's Dr will be sadly missed.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26   #1071
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

To be honest i'm glad that David Tennent's gone. It can go back to being Dr Who and his adventures again instead of the "I'm David Tennent and watch me gurn" show. His ego (and RTD's) was taking over the entire series and was in danger of the whole thing dissappearing up it's own arse.

Last edited by Roberto; 04-01-2010 at 11:27.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:43   #1072
Harsin

Thinking about it wasn't one of the random superpowers that RTD gave the Doctor in an ealier episode the ability to purge deadly radiation from his body?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51   #1073
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Yes, not so long ago in Smith and Jones. It was that "hilarious" scene where you thought Tennant was going to fart, but then didn't.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45   #1074
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
But its the way its used, not the music itself.
Totally agree - the music itself is basically good, but the directors need to indicate to Gold when to tone it down. They also need to admit that there are times when music is not needed at all - which I would assume is the director's choice.

Mind you - I can't remember music really being an issue with the Moffat episodes.
Old 04-01-2010, 13:10   #1075
Sneeka
pull my finger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhanly View Post
Totally agree - the music itself is basically good, but the directors need to indicate to Gold when to tone it down. They also need to admit that there are times when music is not needed at all - which I would assume is the director's choice.
Absolutely, some of Gold's pieces are superb. It's the underscoring which needed to be toned down - most of the time it felt like the music was battling with the dialogue.

I can only imagine this was down to RTD flapping his arms and shouting "The scene needs more DRAMA, make it louder", which resulted in every scene sounding like a film trailer, regardless of what was being said.

Last edited by Sneeka; 04-01-2010 at 13:11.
Old 04-01-2010, 14:42   #1076
Mr Blobby
Single,sane and solvent.

So in the end, the Doctor dies saving a Womble!
Old 04-01-2010, 16:22   #1077
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Damn, I really was hoping for a new composer.

But when he talks about writing music differently for Moffat, it does make a strange sort of sense - the scoring on Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead was actually really nice (even heartbreakingly so at times), so maybe that accounts for it somewhat.

As long as he tones down the bouncy Worst Day of My Life style crap that pops up every time someone does something a tiny bit wacky, it could work out ok. Where's this new theme, then?
Old 04-01-2010, 23:04   #1078
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Yes, not so long ago in Smith and Jones. It was that "hilarious" scene where you thought Tennant was going to fart, but then didn't.
And then you wished he had.
Old 04-01-2010, 23:05   #1079
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post
Damn, I really was hoping for a new composer.

But when he talks about writing music differently for Moffat, it does make a strange sort of sense - the scoring on Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead was actually really nice (even heartbreakingly so at times), so maybe that accounts for it somewhat.

As long as he tones down the bouncy Worst Day of My Life style crap that pops up every time someone does something a tiny bit wacky, it could work out ok. Where's this new theme, then?
'Blink' has an excellent score.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:32   #1080
Hex
Chemical Member

Watched it last night and i think that i've outgrown Who. The resolution of the knock 4 times was the one nice bit where you could see the fact that he was happy that he was going to live drain out of him turn to realisation what was going to happen. The action set pieces (missiles/jumping from the ship) were silly for the most part and i couldn't switch off my brain when it came to stuff like the appearance of a huge planet next to earth should have caused some sort of noticeable effect - tidal surges/earthquakes/something and the magic glass box that he was trapped in that would hold back the radiation had a visible gap between the structure and the door etc.
Closed Thread