Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 22:12   #1001
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post

Also good to see thescrounger has started his moaning about the new series already, i swear his face would crack if it ever had the chance to smile.
Old 01-01-2010, 22:14   #1002
Guest 41989
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
Just that if she's been a Doc's assistant, Micky's nailed her.
But has it been covered somewhere? Last I knew they might have been going to Torchwood at the end of the last proper series and now they are Inter Galactic bounty hunters or something.
Old 01-01-2010, 22:17   #1003
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Yep, it was another RTD classic moment. No explanation, just laugh at they are married now!

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Old 01-01-2010, 22:17   #1004
Guest 2951
Trusted User

Has anyone else looked closely at the other one of the two holding their hands in front of their face?
Looks kind of like the new guy by the hair.

Thought it was much better than I thought it was gonna be after part one.
Have no qualms about the mawkishness of setting things straight - just carries on the comment about it actually being the death of one incarnation. Wouldn't we all like to set things straight before the end?

I missed the reference to the weeping angels - what was it?

In the end, how come time travel has had such a terrible effect on Rose's teeth? They seemed even worse tonight than they did last time!
Old 01-01-2010, 22:39   #1005
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
Just that if she's been a Doc's assistant, Micky's nailed her.
The true reason Adelaide killed herself.
Old 01-01-2010, 22:42   #1006
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirok1 View Post
In the end, how come time travel has had such a terrible effect on Rose's teeth? They seemed even worse tonight than they did last time!
Have you seen the Rose (Billie Piper) Playboy Shot?

http://www.toxic-web.co.uk/wp-conten...ana-splits.jpg
Old 01-01-2010, 23:24   #1007
Guest 49142
Trusted User

well slightly better than i'd hoped although i was still expecting some kind of revelation about wilf and that didn't happen. Catherine tate was wasted in it and i know you all hate her but i'd rather her than the 'we love the doctor' crowd.

The loose ends bit at the end was fine, although lineing up jack with tovey for a quick jump hardly seems time altering

Haven't read all the comments yet but wasn't the suggestion of whats her face agimon and roses ex that it was in the future. I'm basing this purely on her dreadlocks and guns and quarry action

and there was a mention of the angels in blink and the obvious pose and the fact that the women was his wife (after wilfs question and a long lingering look at cathrine in a wedding dress)

Last edited by mhare; 01-01-2010 at 23:28. Reason: forgot the knocking
Old 01-01-2010, 23:31   #1008
Guest 49142
Trusted User

i forgot about the four knocks - i thought it was going to be terrible. but ultimatly it being wilf knocking to get out of the booth after saving the guy in there was quite nice. there was no way out for the doctor, he wasn't going to let him die and even the doctors little rant about it was good

possibly the longest regeneration on record, but i'll give him that. Maybe thats why the tardis exploded

Last edited by mhare; 01-01-2010 at 23:33.
Old 01-01-2010, 23:45   #1009
Guest 64454
Trusted User

Best thing about this episode was definately Cribbins acting. Fantastic.
Old 02-01-2010, 00:17   #1010
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk View Post
my spoiler perhaps.
I don't think so.
It's lo-res, but wishful thinking is going "Did that look like a silver moonboot?"
Old 02-01-2010, 00:24   #1011
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Scapegoat View Post
I don't think so.
It's lo-res, but wishful thinking is going "Did that look like a silver moonboot?"
You mean this ?

Last edited by mnementh; 02-01-2010 at 00:26. Reason: reported my post just in case the screen grab isn't allowed
Old 02-01-2010, 00:36   #1012
Reverend Scapegoat
Trusted User

Yup.
Hm. Nah, doesn't look like what I thought.
Old 02-01-2010, 00:43   #1013
Jim989
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Why on earth has this now descended into people posting stuff from the trailers (and even their own opinions on what *might* happen) in spoiler tags?
Sorry, my little joke about what was returning. Seemed like a good idea at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
The reveal of wilf's true role was genius and the Doctor tracking down the grandaughter of his old missus was really good. Still think rtd has completely missed the point of regenerations and totally overplayed it.

--snip--

Roll on the Moffat era and hopefully some stronger scripting.
I thought the purpose of Wilf was just thrown in there to give a reason for the sake of it. If the Dr had regenerated at that point, then you would have also had a point. But it was messed about with too much because RTD had to have a stupid goodbye to every character over the last 3/4 seasons which no Dr has done before just for his own ("reward") benefit.

I just hope that Moffat can rise above the RTD scripts and not fall into what he created just because it attracts an audience.
Old 02-01-2010, 00:53   #1014
bosque
Trusted User

I'm not a regular viewer of Doctor Who so I might be posting out of court but the performances of Tennant and Bernard Cribbins in their mini two-header halfway through the programme was exceptionally good, great to see acting of this quality in an S.F/fantasy show.

I can remember watching the show as a kid and watching Willam Hartnell transform into Patrick Troughton. We didn't know about transformations then but in the first few seconds I was hoping the new Doctor would be a young bloke but, no, it was just another old guy Finally, my inner child gets his wish.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15   #1015
pyrogena
Quite angry

Despite my initial grumble it's fair to say that both Tennant and Cribbins acted their little socks off and worked well together.

Catherine Tate was utterly wasted though, so much more potential for her character but RTD choses to have her asleep for the majority! However I am glad that it didn't become a big group effort to save the world as in Journeys End (which I liked but didn't want to see a repeat of).

As for The Doctor getting his reward - he had just saved the Earth again and sent his home planet back to whence it came...a little jaunt down memory lane was deserved.

Still in two minds about Tennant's last words though. Sweet, maybe. Just didn't seem to fit quite right - no words would of been better.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:36   #1016
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrogena View Post
Catherine Tate was utterly wasted though, so much more potential for her character
Getting run over by a bin lorry. Getting run over by a train. Getting run over by a snow plough. Getting run over by a combine harvester.

Have I missed any?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:04   #1017
CiderMyth
Random poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbers View Post
And the Captain Jack bit had a distinct hint of the Cantina from Star Wars to it.
I'm pretty sure even Boba Fett walked past the camera in one shot...

CM
"Say you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone says plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No use looking for one either. It's part of the lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything."
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52   #1018
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

The escape scene was lifted straight from a 70s episode of Blue Peter with Mr Tennant playing the part of Mr Deacon brilliantly..
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55   #1019
new
Sand Dab

Big improvement on part 1.

Liked most of the story part.
Quite glade we did not find out who the woman (or the man hiding his face) was myself. Clearly someone that means a lot to the Doctor, and that all we need to now really as I think his background is best left to little snippits that we have to try and join the dots to.

As others have said DT & Cribbins were excellent, and knew there was going to be a long goodbye coming. Did not like that too much and could have done with it just sticking with Rose (can understand why he would want to see her one last time) and Verity (to see if Joans life was happy), but the kids loved seeing Martha & Mickey together.

I put the destruction of the TARDIS down to him holding in the regeneration as long as possible until he could no longer hold in the power.

The short Matt Smith bit did wonders to ease my children fears that the next Doctor was just going to be a weird looking man, and after both were saying they not only want to watch the "new guy", but both are now looking forward to seeing where the show goes from here (as I am as well).

To sum up the last story of RTDs reagin. Not perfect, some excellent bits, some good bits, some that could have been done better, and some that you wish he left alone, but on the whole enjoyable and certainly successful with the general public.

Same can also been said for his whole time on the show and this long time Who fan is certainly thankful to him for what he has achieved with the show. For along time I never ever thought I would have the chance to sit down with my kids and we could all watch and enjoy Doctor Who. I know some here wish he could have made it more adult, but I can remember the thrill I had of a 5 year old watching the show (and paying close attention to all shop dummies in case they suddenly come to life ), and then growing up with the show and still doing so aged 40+. This for me is what Who is about, the family show that will lead you on to other things, but you will always come back to.

Now looking forward to the Moff and Matt's run, and Im sure it will prove to all the "New Who" crowd that Doctor Who is still a success with out RTD & Tennant, as it was before they come along.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:14   #1020
Guest 2484
sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
You mean this ?

I saw that and thought it might be the lower level of the new Tardis set, below the console.
Closed Thread