Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 08:18   #201
Adge
PSN: adge_uk XBL: adgeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975 View Post
Oh yeah, Kevin's 'maths' when trying to work out how many tomatoes to buy:

'To serve soup for 4, you need 10 tomatoes. So, for 15 orders you need........er..........150 tomatoes'.

Almost up there with the Syed (I think) last year with the '100 chickens for 100 pizzas' thing.
Good job he's not a bank manager as he day job then...... Oh wait he is, jolly good.
Adge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:38   #202
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Suprised nobody has mentioned the team leader using hair straightners, what's that about?!!!

Saying that, anybody else feel inspired to make a chicken carbonara tonight? With latte as a dessert? Yum!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:38   #203
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adge View Post
Good job he's not a bank manager as he day job then...... Oh wait he is, jolly good.
At least if Kevin fails to win The Apprentice, Halifax or whoever it is that has those "crap bank manager" adverts (you know the "champagne for the shareholders party" ones) can give him a new career in advertising.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42   #204
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Kev's face was superb as well when it was pointed out that he would take full responsibility for the quality of food being served
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53   #205
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
It took you that long to dislike him?
It was a lightbulb moment. You either shoot it down or keep it up there...
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43   #206
Mr Blobby
Single,sane and solvent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Kev's face was superb as well when it was pointed out that he would take full responsibility for the quality of food being served
And since when has Lemon Meringue been an Italian dish? As that was on the boys menu for the Italian night.
Mr Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:19   #207
Drpepper
Yes is the New No

What happen the the Italian accents the boys were going to do? I would have enjoyed listening.

Drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:11   #208
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adge View Post
I bet it was Northern Rock he worked at
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:16   #209
arma_uk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Suprised nobody has mentioned the team leader using hair straightners, what's that about?!!!

Saying that, anybody else feel inspired to make a chicken carbonara tonight? With latte as a dessert? Yum!
yeah the hair straighteners thing was a tad weird, but what shocked me more was how much older he looked on the "you're fired" show - he looked 10 years older and 3 stone heavier (especially in the chops)!

he did a good job though, i thought, of remaining "dignified" in the taxi - didn't stoop low and resort to bitchiness, like others do / have done. should help to not damage his career prospects.

SAS summed it up in the boardroom pretty well when he said of the chaps "i haven't seen one iota of business acumen in any one of you!".

i think simon could get to the later stages, depending how well he does as a PM - he's a "get it done" person but it'll be interesting to see if he can motivate and manage people. did anyone spot who are the PMs for next week's tasks?

finally for kevin, he said in the talking head bit on "you're fired" that he was 100% sure ian was going to get fired, yet both he and simon looked as though they were about to burst into tears in the boardroom
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:25   #210
Guest 2637
Trusted User

Location: New Labours Screwed Up Kingdom,where the madness never ends,it just evolves.
I suddenly remembered who Jenny reminds me of.The one and only Colonel Rosa Klebb.
Guest 2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:52   #211
ac
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arma_uk View Post
...did anyone spot who are the PMs for next week's tasks?...
Pretty sure it was Simon and maybe Helene as the PMs next week. Definitely mixed teams.
ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 16:20   #212
Tempest
Trusted User

Something fishy here as I just don't believe it.

We're told you take a pub that does not do food, and in 24 hours you set everything up and take nearly a grand from meals.

Hmmmmmm.....

Even watching Good old Gordon Ramsay in a established restaurant with proper cooks, kitchens etc. Given a brand new menu they nearly always fail on their 1st night.

Yet, these people, with no cooking experience, in a pub that does not have proper kitchens as it does not normally do food, have done this and made a grand in 24 hours.

I dunno. Seems a bit fishy to me. (unless there's a hell of a lot background help we're not seeing) Health and Safety, Food hygiene inspectors anyone?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 16:26   #213
john316
XBL: morro316

Considering the Boys were selling Aunt Bessie's Lemon Meringue, premade Pizzas and big loads of Bolognese made with Dolmio, its not that difficult especially with people thinking they might get on TV if they turned up
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 16:28   #214
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316 View Post
Considering the Boys were selling Aunt Bessie's Lemon Meringue, premade Pizzas and big loads of Bolognese made with Dolmio, its not that difficult especially with people thinking they might get on TV if they turned up
Seems so odd we saw so little of the actual customers, serving, cooking etc etc.
Old 10-04-2008, 16:39   #215
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Something fishy here as I just don't believe it.

We're told you take a pub that does not do food, and in 24 hours you set everything up and take nearly a grand from meals.

Hmmmmmm.....

Even watching Good old Gordon Ramsay in a established restaurant with proper cooks, kitchens etc. Given a brand new menu they nearly always fail on their 1st night.

Yet, these people, with no cooking experience, in a pub that does not have proper kitchens as it does not normally do food, have done this and made a grand in 24 hours.

I dunno. Seems a bit fishy to me. (unless there's a hell of a lot background help we're not seeing) Health and Safety, Food hygiene inspectors anyone?
It was only Ian that said the pub "had not done food ever before". It's possible that he was wrong about that, they maybe just hadn't for a few months while the kitchen was getting refurbished or something. Or maybe they were both pubs that were about to start doing food and had both just had the kitchen fitted out. It would not be hard to find two pubs that were about to start a food service, just phone up a company that does that kind of fit-out.

They did show that both teams had an established chef to watch over their efforts and make sure no customers were poisoned. The boys' one shook his head when Matt Lucas Lite was planning his menu, and also spoke on the You're Fired programme.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 16:56   #216
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
It was only Ian that said the pub "had not done food ever before". It's possible that he was wrong about that, they maybe just hadn't for a few months while the kitchen was getting refurbished or something. Or maybe they were both pubs that were about to start doing food and had both just had the kitchen fitted out. It would not be hard to find two pubs that were about to start a food service, just phone up a company that does that kind of fit-out.

They did show that both teams had an established chef to watch over their efforts and make sure no customers were poisoned. The boys' one shook his head when Matt Lucas Lite was planning his menu, and also spoke on the You're Fired programme.
Yeah, guess you may be right about the pub/food thing.

But (as I said) just seemed odd, when you see Chefs that have been cooking for years struggle with new items on the menu, and yet, These people apparently (without any help?) were able to cook for all these customers just like that. 1st night.

and we saw very little of the food preparation going on (in comparison with all the washing and ironing we saw the week before)

Almost as if they had others there to do lots of the cooking for them once it was underway.

Anyway, I also agree with the firing, but I think they are deliberately creating tasks that they know can't genuinely be done correctly in the given time frame. So, it's set up to fail (for good TV) but someone might get lucky.

Like doing pricing, you might get lucky and get it right with some guessing and judgment, but being able to buy all the ingredients (without knowing your customer numbers) then work out how much of the food per head (with the new menu) and calculating correct profit margins is virtually impossible in the time given.

Just a lot or common sense and (as they did) seeing what others charge for the same meals and using that seems more logical given the 1off nature of the task.
Old 10-04-2008, 19:21   #217
woburnx
Trusted User

I hate that cowpat Claire. Did you see how happy she was seeing Sara failing and then saying "she was a good project manager" in the board room.

I can't bare two faced people.

Last edited by woburnx; 10-04-2008 at 19:22. Reason: spelling mistake
woburnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 19:40   #218
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by woburnx View Post

I can't bare two faced people.
I bet you could.
Old 10-04-2008, 20:25   #219
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:

The lads made £300 between 7 of them, so about £43 each. That wouldn't cover their wages, much less the cost of the petrol, and all the other overheads. If we double that for the girls then it's still only £86 quid each for working a day that didn't end until 11pm. Not exactly successful.

You also need to remember that there's a fair bit of dramatic license in Ramsey's programme. It's obvious he sets them up to fail at the beginning.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 20:43   #220
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
The chef who was helping the boys, Jack, is the son of a friend of mine at work. She said he spent two days filming, was there all through the cooking to oversee and make sure they didn't poison anyone, and yet was seen on screen for about 10 seconds.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote