Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 17-10-2007, 17:57   #1
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Wireless - "limited connectivity"/"network logon"?

Trying to set up my OH's new Vista Home Premium lappy to connect to the web. I have a Netgear DG834 wireless model/router which works fine for my own desktop and XP lappy.

I have WEP encryption and my normal password which only ever seems to be needed when the USB wireless adaptor my desktop uses drops the connection occasionally.

The new lappy seems to autodetect my wireless connection but only connects with limited connectivity?! When I troubleshoot it seems to want a "network security key"...which is not my normal password - seems to want something of either 13 or 5 chars length. I don't remember either of the other 2 devices asking for this (its a long time since I set it all up)... where will I have got this from?! I've had a look on my modem/router set up specs and can't see anything there...

Can anyone shed any light please?

Last edited by Flip Martian; 17-10-2007 at 17:57.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:03   #2
ian turner
Trusted User

go into the security settings on the netgear via the desktop and find the wep/wpa section and make a note of the key in there which should be a long number. Then use that number when the laptop asks for the security key. The password you use is just an associated short cut only of use on your existing pc
Without entering some sort of security key on the pc you could not have a secure connection with the router . Not that wep is secure these days with hacking software that can break a wep code in under a minute. You should set it up for wpa instead if the usb dongle on the pc can handle it

Last edited by ian turner; 17-10-2007 at 18:04.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:17   #3
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Thanks - I tried that one earlier - the alphanumeric that is there is only 10 chars long though - I just get a "this will either be 5 or 13 chars long" message...
Old 17-10-2007, 18:35   #4
ian turner
Trusted User

hmm is the alphanumeric all in the range 0-9 and a-f ? if so then i just read
5 to 13 character ascii or 10 to 26 hex.
In which case go to http://www.asciitable.com/ and match the pairs of characters to the HEX column and type that string of 5 characters in. Which might be difficult if any are non printing (though this might just turn out to be the password you are typing into the main pc)

Last edited by ian turner; 17-10-2007 at 18:37.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:45   #5
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Hmmm...I must have been mistaken earlier - just tried your original suggestion again and it works! Many thanks Ian, I've spent about 4 hours trying to sort this out.

Cheers!