Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 00:11   #561
Guest 3376
We can't bury Cheryl.

Just back from Glasgow. Bloody amazing as always. Hard to beleave Paul is nearly 60. Good set with only 3 duff songs.
Guest 3376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50   #562
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

The morning of the Manchester show .......really looking forward to it
Old 10-05-2010, 14:07   #563
MrSpeed
Britain's Scariest Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
The morning of the Manchester show .......really looking forward to it
Me too

Was standing right at the front at Birmingham but will be seated tonight...still near the stage though (Block 102).

Can't wait
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 14:11   #564
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

If anyone wants to pick me up a Destroyer shirt xxl I'll cover costs etc.

I should've got one at Newcastle
Old 10-05-2010, 14:14   #565
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeed View Post
Me too

Was standing right at the front at Birmingham but will be seated tonight...still near the stage though (Block 102).

Can't wait
Block 104 for me row F ..should still be a good view
Old 10-05-2010, 14:42   #566
Guest 33417
Trusted User

Well, as a precaution, I've managed to get a cheap(ish) coach/ferry crossing from Belfast to London for tomorrow afternoon - 14hr trip! At least I can fall back on RyanAir on the way home - if the flights are running...

So roll on Wednesday and Thursday - haven't been to Wembley since Motley Crue/Killing Joke a few years back.

Still gutted I missed last weeks B'ham show tho!
Guest 33417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 15:07   #567
MrSpeed

Quote:
Block 104 for me row F ..should still be a good view
Might see you at the bar near the block entrances then
Old 10-05-2010, 16:11   #568
hannay
Trusted User

man, what a gig last nght in glasgow - frigging loved it.

now a fully fledged member of the army Spend a fortune on merchandise - the live MP3 USB stick is class.

Some pics

hannay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 16:12   #569
hannay
Trusted User

Old 10-05-2010, 16:23   #570
MrSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
If anyone wants to pick me up a Destroyer shirt xxl I'll cover costs etc.

I should've got one at Newcastle
I've no spare ££ at the moment, but if you want to BT me the cash, I'll have a look in London for you on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannay View Post
man, what a gig last nght in glasgow - frigging loved it.

now a fully fledged member of the army
Welcome aboard

Nice pics too
Old 10-05-2010, 16:34   #571
hannay
Trusted User

cheers quite pleased considering where I was, and using a compact camera! Got some cracking HD Video too. Did you buy an MP3 recording?
Old 10-05-2010, 16:34   #572
MrSpeed

And off to Manchester we go.....

Old 10-05-2010, 19:25   #573
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
I've no spare ££ at the moment, but if you want to BT me the cash, I'll have a look in London for you on Thursday.
"Oh yeah?"

"Oh yeah?"

"Oh yeah?"

"Well alright!"

Nice one matey, PM me your details and I'll sort the cash out for you

Mind, no blowing it on hand shandies at Kings Cross if they have no XXLs in
Old 10-05-2010, 21:31   #574
Guest 13065
Trusted User

Hannay

Thanks for the pics.

Absolutely amazing gig
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16   #575
MrSpeed

Mrs_S and I LOVED last nights show. Was good to see so many people in the M.E.N.

Just London on Thursday now and it's all over
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21   #576
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
As per PM, a workmate sorted one out for me at the Manchester show.

Thanks for the kind offer though
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27   #577
platty

Quote:
Mrs_S and I LOVED last nights show. Was good to see so many people in the M.E.N.

Just London on Thursday now and it's all over
I was there ..had a look for your jacket MrSpeed , but couldnt find you , anyway , i had to leave during Shout it out Loud ...well ****** off
Old 11-05-2010, 14:40   #578
MrSpeed

Quote:
i had to leave during Shout it out Loud ...well ****** off

My jacket and I can next be seen in London on Thursday if anyone wants a chat?

I will be there all alone in the big city.
Old 11-05-2010, 14:44   #579
NicolaUK
Trusted User

We'll keep an eye out for you
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 14:47   #580
MrSpeed

Long rambling thoughts about my experience at the show in Birmingham last week.........

KISS: Birmingham 05-05-10

It’s 1979...I’m 14 years old and standing open mouthed holding the newly released KISS album ‘Dynasty’. Never having heard the album, or even heard of the band, I stare at the 4 weird faces that adorn the album cover and wonder what type of music could be on that 12 inch vinyl disc. To say I liked what I heard is an understatement, and within a month I’ve spent all of my pocket money and savings buying the entire KISS back catalogue. An obsession is born.

Jump forward 31 years and I’m now waiting for the doors to open at the N.E.C. Birmingham. KISS are about to play the 4th date on their new ‘Sonic Boom Over Europe’ tour.

The proceeding 31 years have seen me attend over 20 KISS concerts and the obsession still continues, albeit with diminished passion over the last 10 years. Changes from the original band members after a much anticipated reunion, set lists and stage shows that were slowly becoming the work of a tired tribute band, and worst of all, an ever more apparent chase for the fans hard earned money. While KISS have always been open about their intent on getting as much income as possible, a bitter taste has slowly been getting ever more prevalent in the mouths of some fans. This latest European tour did nothing to sweeten the taste when ‘Meet and Greet’ packages were announced at the princely sum of £909. Even the guitar that Paul smashes towards the end of every show and then throws into the crowd for the eager fans at the front to try and claim for their own has now got it’s price...£3,650.
Is a 31 year love affair about to come to an acrimonious end? Or can the fires that once burned so brightly be reignited?

I arrive at the arena at 5:20pm. I’m in a determined mood to experience a KISS concert from right at the very front for one last time, before either the band gets too old or I do. Ignoring the seductive call of the merchandise stall (that will have to wait until one of the two other dates I’ve got tickets for) I immediately head to the beginnings of a queue to get into the standing area. 6pm arrives and the barrier is lifted, along with a warning from security that anyone caught running will be thrown out of the arena. Yeah right! I used to run the 100 metres for school, try and catch me sucker!

Being an old hand of KISS concerts, I position myself right in the middle of where Gene and Paul will be standing...and about 2 feet away from one of the mighty confetti canons!
Then the wait begins.
The next 90 minutes is spent chatting to the fans around me. One guy is a similar age to myself and a veteran of many KISS concerts, while a young lad to my left is in his early 20’s and attending his 1st ever KISS show. The atmosphere is always really friendly and many KISS related stories are swapped while everyone waits for the support band.

7:30pm and ‘Taking Dawn’ take to the stage. It’s never an easy task being a support band, and when you’re supporting a band with as fanatical a following as KISS, then the task is made even harder. 45 minutes later and they leave the stage...the lead vocalist doing it very impressively as he leaps off stage and lands at the barrier right next to me. He climbs over the barrier and makes his way into the crowd, guitar held above his head and still playing. That last ditch attempt to try and get some excitement from the crowd seems to work a little and everyone begins to cheer.

The cheers die down, the lights go up, and the support bands equipment is removed from the stage. A HUGE black sheet descends from the lighting rig, adorned with the KISS logo in silver. I stand there looking up at it, and the first familiar flutters of excitement begin to appear in my stomach.

At 8:45pm the lights go down and the arena is filled with the cheers of the waiting KISS Army. Screens either side of the stage show the intro to the music video of ‘Modern Day Delilah”, and then cuts to (stock) footage of KISS making their way to the stage.
The black sheet drops, explosions rock the arena to its foundations, and Gene, Paul and Tommy appear up and over Eric on the drums as the band kicks into the set opener of ‘Modern Day Delilah’.
I’m immediately part of a huge mass of people jumping up and down, singing and pumping their fists to the music. The band complete their entrance to the stage and take their places at the respective microphone stands. Gene and Paul are mere feet away from me, and I can already begin to feel the years drift away as if in some musical time machine.

The familiar chords of ‘Cold Gin’ are next to rattle the amplifiers, and while Tommy Thayer stays true to the original vibe of Ace Frehley, he has been with the band long enough now to express himself more confidently. The classics continue to keep coming at everyone... ‘Let Me Go Rock And Roll’ and ‘Firehouse’ (complete with Gene breathing fire). Next up is ‘Say Yeah’ from the new album ‘Sonic Boom’. This is a song with a chorus that was made to be played live and get an audience singing...and it sure as hell works fine tonight.
Already drenched in sweat, the crowd is given no time to catch their breath as the guitar and drum beat of ‘Deuce’ is blasted from the stage. I defy anyone to stay still during this song, and if your foot does not at least tap, then you are dead inside.

Two songs have been added to this tour specifically to placate the European market. The first of these is next on the set list. ‘Crazy, Crazy Nights’ has always been a song that I’ve never had much time for and has constantly irked me that it is the default KISS song that any UK radio stations play. The arrangement of it has been tweaked a little, and I have to hold my hand up and say that it sounded great live. In fact, my hand was held up and was pumping the air as I sang along.

‘Calling Dr Love’ had Gene grinding his hips to any and every female that was within his vision, and then Tommy took lead vocal duties on ‘Shock Me’. The fact that Tommy sings one of Ace’s trademark songs has been the centre of much consternation among fans for quite a while now, but my opinion has always been that I want to see all 4 band members on lead vocal at some point...this was one of the main things that hooked me into the band in the first place...that vocal duties were shared between all band members, albeit skewered more favourably towards Paul and Gene. Having said that, with Tommy now having his own song on the new album, I would much rather have heard him sing ‘When Lightning Strikes’. ‘Shock Me’ segues into Tommy’s guitar solo, who is now also joined by Eric on drums. Tommy’s guitar fires sparks, and explosions happen along the lighting rig. Not to be outdone by this, Eric appears from behind the drum set with a bazooka over his shoulder. It fires with an explosion that can be felt in the pit of your chest and a (false) row of lights falls from the rig onto the stage. Pure theatrics...pure cheese...pure entertainment. Over the years, many have lambasted KISS for their stage shows and argue that they use it to cover a lack of musical ability...I beg to differ. While I freely admit that there are many bands out there that are technically better with their musicianship, I know of no other band that has given me as many happy memories or entertainment than KISS has done live...and surely that is the whole point of going to a live gig? To be entertained and have memories to look back fondly on in later years.
Next up is what I consider to be the only slight dip in the show. ‘I’m An Animal’ is a song that I like from ‘Sonic Boom’...hell I like them ALL...but it does seem to slow the momentum down in the live show. Gene comes in a little early with the vocals but is quickly corrected by Paul and the song continues unabated. Given a choice, I would rather this song be replaced with ‘I Stole Your Love’, or if it had to be a Gene track, then I’d like it to be ‘Parasite’.

The pace picks up again with ‘100,000 Years’ and then it is Gene’s turn in the spotlight. He gives the most Lon Chaney Jnr performance I’ve ever seen, and spits blood out before rising into the lighting rig to sing ‘I Love It Loud’. A lot of fans have voiced that they would rather hear ‘God Of Thunder’, but I’m very happy with the choice of song and just wish that they would also play ‘Creatures Of The Night’ from the same self titled album.

The familiar pounding drum beat of ‘Love Gun’ gets the crowd whipped up into a frenzy and then only have a few seconds to catch their breath before Paul is alone on stage. As always, his solo segues into Black Diamond and Eric’s turn to take to the microphone. Eric always sings this fantastically and doesn’t disappoint tonight, but a part of me would also like to hear him sing ‘All For The Glory’ from ‘Sonic Boom’.

Just when you thought the crowd had gone as wild as it could, the guitar intro to ‘Detroit Rock City’ hits everyone in the face and fists are pumping once more and everyones feet are lifted off the floor. As the song ends, the band assemble at the front of the stage and bid their farewell. Everyone of course knows that this is not the end, and a chant of ‘KISS,KISS,KISS....’ begins in earnest.

Coming back onstage, Paul reassures everyone that this is not going to be just a one song encore, and that everyone is in for a treat...and indeed we were.
‘Lick It Up’ kick-starts the encore and the crowds sings along once more, the singing getting even more intense as ‘Shout It Out Loud’ is next up.
Paul then takes his, now traditional, venture into the platform in the middle of the audience for ‘I Was Made For Lovin’ You’. While he can’t quite hit the high notes that he used to do when the song was recorded in 1979, he comes damn close and is still an incredible frontman at the age of 58.
When back on the main stage, Paul introduces the 2nd song that has been added for the European crowd...’God Gave Rock And Roll To You II’. Along with ‘Crazy, Crazy Nights’, I’ve never been too partial to this song either, but have to admit once more, that hearing a live version of it makes all the difference.

Then we have the song that will forever be associated with the band more than any other, and the song that always ends their shows and sends the crowd wild....’Rock And Roll All Nite’.
Remember earlier that I mentioned about one of the confetti canons being 2 feet away? As the opening bars to the song are played, all the confetti canons fire up and I’m immediately in the middle of a paper blizzard. The song continues, and halfway through, the musical time travel reaches its destination and I’m 14 years old again. I’m jumping up and down singing in the middle of a confetti shower, while four superheroes are mere feet in front of me, blasting out a song that has been a part of my musical history for as long as I can remember.
Then all too quickly, the music ends, the lights go up, and I’m once more an adult.

Thank you KISS, for 2 and a quarter hours of being in a world where the stresses and strains that an adult world put onto people disappeared. I no longer care about the cost of ‘meet and greets’, or even that Paul no longer throws his guitar into the crowd. If that is the price that needs to be paid to be taken back to my youth for 2 hours, then long may it continue.