Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 24-05-2007, 11:13   #1
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Art Brut - It's a Bit Complicated

Myself and Dave had a few posts devoted to this forthcoming release elsewhere, but it needs it's own thread really.

If the first modern-classic record was punk-rock, and I for one think it was, this second record is kinda Lynnrd Skynnrd/Thin Lizzy 70's prog-rock...well not really, but there is definitely some riffage here to keep us all regular.

The lyrics are as brilliantly observant, and indeed nutty, as before, and there is actually some attempts at singing in here with some la-la-la overdubs

It is an ace record I think, but not as good as their debut, but then not many are - it just doesn't have that naive barmy 'innocence' of that record - this is a little too grown up in it's approach - more conventional somehow. There is also nothing on here as good as 'Bang, Bang Rock and Roll' though top single Nag Nag Nag Nag comes close.

...though what is up with those song titles? 'Pump up the Volume' 'I Will Survive' 'Jealous Guy'? FFS!
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 11:52   #2
Guest 34439
Scarsdale Vibe's minion

I've already had a couple of small leakages in anticipation of this.

I guess it's no surprise to learn that it's not quite on a par with Bang Bang..., but as you say Lou, very few things are. Must admit i wasn't THAT keen on Nag Nag Nag Nag, but i heart Post Soothing Out something cronic.
Guest 34439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 12:29   #3
Gorky
Not the Messiah

Listened to this on the way to work this morning. Need to heaar it a few more times i think, but have to agree it's not a patch on their previous effort.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote