Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 08-03-2007, 19:40   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

The Great Global Warming Swindle 9pm CH4

Tonight at 9 on CH4.

Provocative documentary that sets out to challenge the widely accepted view that man-made carbon dioxide emissions are responsible for global warming. With arguments from leading scientists, the film points to recent research that solar radiation may be a more plausible factor in climate change, and suggests that reducing carbon emissions may not only have little impact on the environment, but may also have unintentional repercussions for third world development.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 22:41   #2
Dodgy
Trusted User

Dunno about you lot, but I've spent the few minutes after the show hanging 3 bar electric heaters out of all the windows in my house.

Dave.
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 22:53   #3
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy
Dunno about you lot, but I've spent the few minutes after the show hanging 3 bar electric heaters out of all the windows in my house.

Dave.
Indeed.

Where do you begin?

It's just amazing how this whole issue has built up into the farce it is now today.

I feel really sorry for the African issue (at the end of the program)
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 23:37   #4
Guest 51105

Read Michael Crichton's excellent book State of Fear. It's a fictional novel, but is littered with facts about global warming or in fact how most of it is overdue naturally anyway. Really made me think.

Last edited by marcburrage82; 08-03-2007 at 23:37.
Guest 51105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 00:05   #5
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

bugger, missed it. anyone know if repeated at all?
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47   #6
Winner
Design Monkey

Very enlightening documentary. I felt an uncontrolable urge to pop outside and burn some fossil fuels afterwards. Funny how there was no mention of it on the TV this morning. Not suprising though. Definately shows the whole CO2, global warming movement to be nothing but a money making political beast.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:12   #7
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

And that it is used to headline news away from the war in Iraq, failing schools and hospitals etc. Global warming is the new buzzword and makes my blood boil when people can not have a normal conversation about it without becoming hostile.

Is this show repeated?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:02   #8
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

I don't know who to beeeeelieve! Obviously a film (Inconvenient Truth) or a documentary (this one) should both be viewed objectively.

You've got two camps waving around "irrefutable evidence" flags and I'm certainly not clever enough to figure it all out for myself, so who presents the unbiased account?

I always thought that the global warming problem was in fact in contention, but have had many people tell me recently that the very fact that people believe it's in contention is the myth and that most scientists actually agree on the subject. I guess that's sort of like paying attention to the Creationists when they say that Evolution is under contention.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 18:55   #9
maddogsuk
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk
bugger, missed it. anyone know if repeated at all?
From Digiguide

On: more4
Date: Monday 12th March 2007 (starting in 3 days)
Time: 22:00 to 23:40

On: more4
Date: Saturday 17th March 2007
Time: 22:35 to 00:15
Old 09-03-2007, 19:13   #10
ian turner
Trusted User

remember this is the channel that revealed that racism is rife in the UK via Celebrity Big Brother so running a programme just to be controversial isn't beyond them (Richard and Judy reveal that quiz programmes with questions slightly more difficult than what's 1 plus 1 are using premium rate numbers to haul in the cash shock horror !!!).
Plus there's always the consideration that saying its happened before without considering that this time might be different due to new elements introduced such as world wide heavy industry (okay so there' not much heavy industry in the UK these days) having a marginally higher output than a much smaller dung burning population of yesteryear. Then there's the consideration that the main reason given for not dumping our crap on the world tends to be that it will cost money.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 21:56   #11
Guest 3078
bent member

This from the documentary maker who previously got a big slap from the ITC for misleading the viewing public in a previous programme of his trashing global warming.

May I direct you to a thread about this on the Snopes forum for more sensational soaraway revelations about this guy...

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4435

Trouble is that people have a natural resistance to the idea of global warming because of the frightening implications it offers.

Have a read of James Lovelock's new book for a different, if deeply scary view.

Linky
Guest 3078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:12   #12
Jimmyboy
^__^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl
I always thought that the global warming problem was in fact in contention, but have had many people tell me recently that the very fact that people believe it's in contention is the myth and that most scientists actually agree on the subject. I guess that's sort of like paying attention to the Creationists when they say that Evolution is under contention.
What we know as fact is that environmental disasters have happened previously throughout history. We know that the pre-industrialised world has been far hotter and far colder than what it currently is right now. Therefore there's no genuine factual evidence that 'man made' global warming is happening or that it will create a disaster which wouldn't happen anyway. Everything is speculative based on What if scenarios. I'm not saying that there's no truth to it, but the man made global warming theorists hold a position of credibility they couldn't possibly hope to maintain if called upon it and the great thing about a fabricated evil is it's easy for the political elite to defeat.

Last edited by Jimmyboy; 10-03-2007 at 01:13.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34   #13
anephric
Kidney Thief

I was talking to my science teacher friend the other day and she's quite adamant that global warming is nothing but a blip between ice ages, that all human pollution has done, if anything, is upset slightly the cycle of ice ages.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43   #14
Guest 4145
Trusted User

**I have a vested interest. I work in the so-called global warming industry**

My view is - when the facts change so do I. I'm not a climate expert and I haven't reviewed all of the literature. But I do trust others I know to have done so and I have a better than average scientific training. So far I haven't seen a convincing debunkment of man-made climate change take place in the programme or this thread.

Perhaps I'm in denial.

For those, who haven't made up their mind already, the following links might be interesting:

This is quite a good layperson's guide to common questions about global warming:
http://illconsidered.blogspot.com/20...g-sceptic.html

This is an entertaining but a little sweary critique of the programme:
http://www.paulkingsnorth.net/2007/0...o-hippies.html
Some of the theories outlined in the programme are briefly addressed in the comments.

But in the end - it comes down to who you'd rather believe - a cabal of environmental fascists (which happens to include NASA, Shell & BP) or those upholders of scientific virtue - Channel 4.

I believe climate change (and the allied environmental degradation) is a huge challenge. There's no magic bullet and I really wonder if our politicians are up to it. Rhetoric is easy. Action less so. And some of their actions are downright contradictory to what they are saying. It's understandable to be suspicious of their motives.

As an individual - you can make some difference in your own life but the Government really needs to help to. And it can't just be about tax increases either. Genuine incentives - like easy to access and understand tax breaks and information - need to be offered too.

If the scale of the threat is realised then it's likely to create an even larger gap between the haves and have-nots. The poorest in the world are likely to be hit the hardest.

Last edited by green_cat; 10-03-2007 at 07:38.
Guest 4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:15   #15
Guest 33027
Ageing prog rocker

For anyone interested, there is a big thread on this programme on Digital Spy
Guest 33027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08   #16
Guest 4145
Trusted User

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...2031455,00.html

Quote:
A Leading US climate scientist is considering legal action after he says he was duped into appearing in a Channel 4 documentary that claimed man-made global warming is a myth. Carl Wunsch, professor of physical oceanography at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said the film, The Great Global Warming Swindle, was 'grossly distorted' and 'as close to pure propaganda as anything since World War Two'.

He says his comments in the film were taken out of context and that he would not have agreed to take part if he had known it would argue that man-made global warming was not a serious threat. 'I thought they were trying to educate the public about the complexities of climate change,' he said. 'This seems like a deliberate attempt to exploit someone who is on the other side of the issue.' He is considering a complaint to Ofcom, the broadcast regulator.
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/...icle2347526.ece

Quote:
Professor Wunsch said: "I am angry because they completely misrepresented me. My views were distorted by the context in which they placed them. I was misled as to what it was going to be about. I was told about six months ago that this was to be a programme about how complicated it is to understand what is going on. If they had told me even the title of the programme, I would have absolutely refused to be on it. I am the one who has been swindled."

When told what the commission had found, he said: "That is what happened to me." He said he believes it is "an almost inescapable conclusion" that "if man adds excess CO2 to the atmosphere, the climate will warm".

He went on: "The movie was terrible propaganda. It is characteristic of propaganda that you take an area where there is legitimate dispute and you claim straight out that people who disagree with you are swindlers. That is what the film does in any area where some things are subject to argument."
Guest 4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:21   #17
Guest 2506
Ed Murrow should be here

From the snopes thread mentioned earlier:
Quote:
Now, perhaps it is somewhat unfair to argue that because Martin Durkin has no real scientific background, is a former member of a weird libertarian cult with a profoundly controversialist stance on global warming and has been shown on three occasions to have produced dishonestly-researched and factually incorrect science documentaries which have been wholly discredited, that this documentary is going to be tainted by this.
Well worth a read of that thread.
Guest 2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 19:42   #18
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

There's also this site http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...dled/#more-414
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 20:16   #19
Guest 23067
A Design For Life

Last edited by ryonhilluk; 11-03-2007 at 20:21.
Guest 23067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 23:37   #20
Guest 58466
Trusted User

I kinda wish I'd seen this. Having only just watched An Inconvienient Truth last week it might have provided some interesting counter balance. A mate of mine who really liked the Al Gore doc actually sent me a text message after this show went out to say that he found this piece 'more convincing' than Inconvienient Truth.

I guess that the most likely real answer lies at neither extremes, falling somewhere in the middle between natural cycle and human interference.
Guest 58466 is offline   Reply With Quote