Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 28-12-2006, 17:37   #41
Guest 3003
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelocalman
The Sun broke Chris leaving series one a month before it "got out"
Did they? I don't remember that. When exactly was that?
Guest 3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 18:24   #42
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene
Did they? I don't remember that. When exactly was that?

At a guess - around a month before people knew for real
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:15   #43
Guest 56982
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Wasn't Doctor Who always intended to be a kids programme?
No it wasn't, it was intended to be a family programme, there is a difference.
Guest 56982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:36   #44
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

They should just get rid of the whole thing really. While I don't think its fair to blame Tennant, it's RTD and the BBC in general that are to blame. RTD keeps churning out awful scripts (One or Two aside) and the problem with the BBC are their production values.

It's telling that their flagship show looks just about the same as something thats shown just after Newsround. It all just looks really cheap. Some people seem to think it adds to the 'charm'. It doesn't.

As a show its all over the place. There's absurd writing, completely flat directing (Honestly, it's awful. It's even worse when they try and do something fancy) and some wild overacting.

Eccelstone didn't want to just move on. He didn't want to be stuck in a crappy show. And if Tennant leaves for the same reason then RTD and the BBC really need to look at themselves closely and think about what they want to do next.
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:43   #45
Guest 59192
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman
As a show its all over the place. There's absurd writing, completely flat directing (Honestly, it's awful. It's even worse when they try and do something fancy) and some wild overacting.
It's called camp. Gay people love it. And where RTD is concerned, they come first.
Guest 59192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:44   #46
Guest 49515
Account on hold

31st March 2005 Chris Quits

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005142638,00.html

15th April 2005 BBC Announce new Doctor and confirm Chris Quits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Doctor

Emily Smith who writes for the sun still gets the good tips (because she is lovely) but is now based in the states and passes it back to Sara whos still based in london on the TV desk.

Both Emily & Sara were unstoppable but without Emily I think the column is suffering.

The other point to remember is that Sara doesnt celebrate christmas due to her religion and therefore was in all over christmas so her page was full of live news, other papers had done most of this weeks feature stories last week so they dont need to come in this week.

I hope that answers the questions.

Last edited by thelocalman; 28-12-2006 at 19:44.
Guest 49515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 19:47   #47
Guest 49515
Account on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenkman
They should just get rid of the whole thing really. While I don't think its fair to blame Tennant, it's RTD and the BBC in general that are to blame. RTD keeps churning out awful scripts (One or Two aside) and the problem with the BBC are their production values.

It's telling that their flagship show looks just about the same as something thats shown just after Newsround. It all just looks really cheap. Some people seem to think it adds to the 'charm'. It doesn't.

Eccelstone didn't want to just move on. He didn't want to be stuck in a crappy show. And if Tennant leaves for the same reason then RTD and the BBC really need to look at themselves closely and think about what they want to do next.

The beeb will still half finance this because CBC pay for half of everything so they get a good deal and lets face it, it beats anything ITV stick against it so they will keep giving RTD the cheques. I like Chris as a doctor, I liked David as an actor but I dont think generally the last series was that good.
Old 28-12-2006, 20:12   #48
Guest 58532
Trusted User

You guys all make DR WHO out to be gay garbage. Its just a kid's/family show, its fun, and way better than any other genre stuff made in the UK. For an adult sci-fi fix I watch the new BSG, for a bit of harmless fun I watch DR WHO. Don't damn it for something it isn't meant to be. I hope it's success, and that of TORCHWOOD, encourages the Beeb to make more genre stuff (though keep it away from Cardiff PLEASE!!!). Maybe a remake of BLAKES 7?
Guest 58532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 20:16   #49
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,168 Posts
they just want to be the first to say it. Whenever in the future it becomes true, The Sun can boast that "they were the first!!!111"
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 20:17   #50
Guest 49515
Account on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boink!
they just want to be the first to say it. Whenever in the future it becomes true, The Sun can boast that "they were the first!!!111"
they seem to be very good at guessing then.
Old 28-12-2006, 22:43   #51
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

The Sun suggesting Robert Carlyle or David Morrisey in the running, to take over in the middle of the 4th series. With 9 month shoots, and potential film work in the pipeline, it's probably not a surprise that these actor's don't want to hang around too long.

I'd quite like to see someone of the calibre of David Thewlis in the role, giving some gravitas and seriousness to the program. I like the reboot series, (The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances still rate, for me, as the best TV program ever put out by the beeb) but RTD doesn't half like to chuck in kitchen-sink soap families and panto into the mix too often.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 23:05   #52
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Utah
It's called camp. Gay people love it. And where RTD is concerned, they come first.
Because all gay people have exactly the same tastes of course.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 23:13   #53
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

I'd love to see Robert Carlyle do it, but don't think he'd be that interested tbh, by the way, why don't they let any of the Scottish Doctors keep their accents?

Just got around to watching this years Xmas special.....what a load of old carpet, started badly, tailed off on a bizarre tangent in the middle and ended like a train wreck. Davies should be given a bloody good smack and his P45.
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 23:18   #54
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatyrant
I'd love to see Robert Carlyle do it, but don't think he'd be that interested tbh, by the way, why don't they let any of the Scottish Doctors keep their accents?

McCoy.

No futher questions...
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 23:38   #55
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

Yeah, but he had an iffy accent at best, at least Tennant's normal accent is OK and Bobby has a good one, better a change than them all sounding like Mockney *****, I mean why muck around, just get that tit Danny Dyer in as the new Doc...better yet Jamie Oliver...that'll completely bugger a once loved franchise right up the arse.

Oh no...too late.
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 11:34   #56
Guest 11785
XBL: Vester Formator

I heard "end of the fourth series" a couple of months ago from someone (weakly) linked to the series.

How much credence to give the following, I don't know, but I also heard that Messeurs Piper and Ecclestone absolutely hated each other, to the point that toward the end of their "run", they wouldn't even be in the same room as each other. Ecclestone was apparently a right grumpy old so-and-so - on the last day of filming, all of the cast and crew assembled for a big photo. The only non-attendee? Ecclestone, who apparently refused to be in it and went back to his trailer while it was taken.

Having recently had the misfortune to have seen Basic Instinct 2, fingers crossed David Morrisey is just a rumour...
Guest 11785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 13:49   #57
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9550904
I heard "end of the fourth series" a couple of months ago from someone (weakly) linked to the series.

How much credence to give the following, I don't know, but I also heard that Messeurs Piper and Ecclestone absolutely hated each other, to the point that toward the end of their "run", they wouldn't even be in the same room as each other.
That would have been a bit tricky, seeing as they were required to be in the same room as each other for filming purposes.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 14:43   #58
Guest 20989
Trusted User

Richard E Grant would make a good DR Who
Guest 20989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 14:48   #59
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

[flameproof]
what about a female doctor?
[/flameproof]

LooN
LooNaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 14:55   #60
Guest 3003
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelocalman
31st March 2005 Chris Quits

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005142638,00.html

15th April 2005 BBC Announce new Doctor and confirm Chris Quits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Doctor
31st of March? The news was official by then. Eccleston only had one episode screened when we heard that he'd quit. If this is the story in question, then The Sun did not break this news a month earlier than everyone else.
Guest 3003 is offline   Reply With Quote