Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 25-12-2006, 20:39   #1
Guest 48579
Banned

Sell me Digiguide

I downloaded a trial version of this program a year or so ago - but soon got rid of it. However, I feel that I probably didn't explore everything it can do - and am now trying it again.

Ideally, I'd like to save on having to buy a TV magazine every week.

So, what I am looking for is a program which will give me the simple TV listings (which this obviously will do), but with some added functionality for the price.

So, if you would forgive a few questions - it would really help if you could answer these.

Firstly, is there a way for it to remind me when a new series of something starts? For example, I really enjoy The Gadget Show. Is there a way of saying to this prog - when the next series of the Gadget Show starts will you remind me say a week before? Otherwise I have to rely on these forums to tell me.

Secondly, is the information contained in the guide 100% correct? Because sometimes, Sky Guide will tell you a particular episode is being shown when it isn't. The reason why I ask, for example, is that Hime Improvement is shown about five times a day on ABC1 seemingly completely at random. It would be nice to check which episode is which and only record the ones I want.

Finally, is there a way to tell it to recommend favourites? For example, when it started up it asked me if I like sport and I said yes. I have now had to go through and delete all the ice skating and American Football programmes it put in My TV.

I do hope you forgive the questions. I know the info is probably around somewhere but it does seem like quite a complex program and if you know the answer already it would be really appreciated.

If it can do all the above for only £9 a year, then bye bye TV guide!
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 20:47   #2
Taq
Evil Scientist

Digiguide still does a 30 free trial so you can try it to see. I have it and probably don't use it for a fraction of the features it has - mainly for just browsing and an easy way to search for particular programmes.

Taq
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 20:48   #3
Guest 52699
Banned

It is a decent prog, but since practically everything I watch is on US TV first these days i rarely use it
Guest 52699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 20:59   #4
Guest 48579
Banned

I have the trial version but it is driving me mad - and the help system doesn't seem to actually help too much (I'm probably being thick).

For example - I had a quick look through and thought that I would create a list of favourites in my TV, print out and nip next door and set sky+.

So, I mark Liverpool v. Arsenal FA Cup as a favourite. It appears in My TV. I then create Norwich v. Tamworth as a favourite and check My TV. Liverpool v. Arsenal has disappeared :

I then see there is a Robbie Williams thing on Channel 4 tomorrow night. i add that as a favourite and it deletes Norwich game and puts two Robbie Williams progs in My TV. I delete the one I don't want and it deletes both! :

I must be being tres stupid.
Old 25-12-2006, 21:49   #5
Guest 14043
Trusted User

Try Freeguide. It's like Digiguide, but free.

Edit: By-the-by, everything you listed in the original post is what a TiVo is does, and stuff I assumed that Sky+ could do too. Can't Sky+ automatically set stuff up to record new episodes of series automatically or do recommendations?

Last edited by HaloMan; 25-12-2006 at 22:02.
Guest 14043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 21:50   #6
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Can't answer your question, but I just looked at this program, and I like it
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 23:40   #7
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Sky+ will record new programs in a series but I don't think it'll go through and record shows from the next series. Might be wrong.

Don't know what "My TV" is *******, or favourites. What I do is just scroll through the grid view looking of things. Also, I usually do searches for various things from time to time but I also have a few markers set up, they highlight shows that match various search terms. So I have one for film premiere's and live footie and so on. You could do a marker for "the gadget show", I don't think it'd remind you but when you browse the listings it'll stick out

The other thing I do is use alearts to trigger events. So If I have to do something at a certain time I usually set it to pop up a web page at a certain time which will remind me what to do. I also used to use it to start and stop winamp so I could use winamp as a sort of alarm clock. I set a reminder for 8am (say) that would send a message to winamp which would start playing (via my stereo)
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 23:59   #8
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I have used it folr years and it is superb and does all the things you want ******* with one exception, the ABC listings, Digiguide relies on the information given to them from the company and I imagine the SKy guide would do the same. Unless anyone can correct me.

Add gadget show to your favourites. your favourites are search strings, pick a heading like entertainment and then refine what its searching for. It will recommend all progs called entertainment and then you go thorugh and delete each one you dont want reminding of, and you can go into the string (as far as I know you still can, its changed a lot over the years) and add things to wathc out for, I used to have a list of names of favourite directors, so it'd tewll me if a Kurosawa film came up for instance.

I think its far better than a tv guide and cheaper at £9 a year, try the trial one and see how you do.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 00:34   #9
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Do favourites automatically popup like a reminder then?
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 09:03   #10
bigjonnyauk
SEE MY HOME PAGE FOR REFS

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/default.asp

been using this one myself never been charged nice layout and can save your fave channels
bigjonnyauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 10:34   #11
Guest 48579
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood
I have used it folr years and it is superb and does all the things you want ******* with one exception, the ABC listings, Digiguide relies on the information given to them from the company and I imagine the SKy guide would do the same. Unless anyone can correct me.

Add gadget show to your favourites. your favourites are search strings, pick a heading like entertainment and then refine what its searching for. It will recommend all progs called entertainment and then you go thorugh and delete each one you dont want reminding of, and you can go into the string (as far as I know you still can, its changed a lot over the years) and add things to wathc out for, I used to have a list of names of favourite directors, so it'd tewll me if a Kurosawa film came up for instance.

I think its far better than a tv guide and cheaper at £9 a year, try the trial one and see how you do.

Cheers mate - I'll have a go at that later. So, you CAN refine the search strings then. I shall have a play.
Old 26-12-2006, 12:10   #12
Hex
Chemical Member

For the Gadget Show question what you would do is create a new manually created marker put The Gadget Show in as the program name and in the expression tab put 'new episode' or just 'new' or 'series x' depending what will work for a particular show.
In the alert tab you can set the type of alert you want, i usually go for X mins before/on-screen but it can be hours/days/weeks and a whole host of different methods.

Great program and even though i don't use half the functionality i wouldn't be without it now.
Old 26-12-2006, 13:13   #13
Guest 48579
Banned

Thanks for the tip.

I've been playing around with markers but having real problems. I tried to create one to alert me when Liverpool FC matches were on. I asked it to search for "Liverpool" or "Liverpool FC" and "Live".

It showed up Liverpool v. Newcastle on Sky Sports Classics tonight (not live by any stretch of the imagination) and todays live game, but didn't pick up the Coca Cola Cup or FA Cup matches. Does it go only a few days ahead? I can't see any option to change how far ahead it searches.

I then thought I would try and see when my favourite band "Muse" might be on, so I set up an alerts "Muse" and it found over 100 programs including every episode of "Cash In The Attic" :

This proggy is making me feel very thick right now - and yes, I did follow the tutorials when setting up the markers. I will follow your "Gadget Show" instructions though. Thanks for that!
Old 26-12-2006, 13:51   #14
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Well its going to find every time the word Muse is used isn't it? SO if a particular program uses the word muse in its description it will be bought up. Can't you either start excluding the programmes they're definitely not going to be on or do a string like "muse" +"band", can't remember now how its done or if you can do an algorithm so both words have to be contained. SOmeone else may be able to hlep on that one. ANd remember if you do sert that up and a programme has MUse on but doesn't use the word band the programs not gonig to tell you.
Old 26-12-2006, 16:24   #15
Hex
Chemical Member

check the descriptions for the games it didn't pick up on - if the word Live isn't in the description/keywords then it won't pick them up. Conversely if the description does contain the word it will pick it out regardless of whether it's used in the context you expect.

The Muse example you can filter the hits by limiting the channels/type of program/time of day it searches when setting up the marker as well as combining search terms, i think you just use this format:

muse and live
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 17:43   #16
Guest 48579
Banned

I really do appreciate the help guys. I searched for the Liverpool V Arsenal FA Cup live match and it did show as being marked, yet it doesn't show in MY TV. Could it just be that it's too far away in terms of time? Does My TV only show stuff two weeks ahead or something?
Old 26-12-2006, 18:13   #17
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I only use my tv for quick reference whats on on the night. I use search a lot to see whats coming up, ie i kept searching for blade for a couple of months cos the forums told me it was coming to bravo, thank god someone has finally given me a start date now, and its not til january!
Old 26-12-2006, 18:21   #18
Guest 48579
Banned

OK, I feel like a complete tit. Sorry guys!

Only just figured out that My TV only shows that day! I thought it showed everything!

It now tells me that the new series of Battlestar Galactica starts on January 9th, all the Liverpool games that are coming up (we're on against Bolton live) and that Ruby in The Smoke is repeated.

You can go through and manually highlight stuff during the week as well.

Not entirely sure it can entirley replace my weekly TV listings mag, but this combined with the Sunday Times Culture may well mean I don't need to buy a seperate mag.

Will continue with the trial for sure.
Old 26-12-2006, 21:11   #19
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloMan
Try Freeguide. It's like Digiguide, but free.

Edit: By-the-by, everything you listed in the original post is what a TiVo is does, and stuff I assumed that Sky+ could do too. Can't Sky+ automatically set stuff up to record new episodes of series automatically or do recommendations?
Freeguide is ace. I found Digiguide unnecessarily complicated (I didn't renew my subscription because of this), and found Freeguide to be less cluttered ...

Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 21:22   #20
Guest 48579
Banned

I'm going to run the two beside each other for a bit and see which comes out on top.