Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2006, 10:19   #1
Guest 49504

Battlestar Galactica s03e10 "The Passage" **Spoilers**

After several stand alone ep's, we're back to the main story, and a dense episode where a lot happens, including the death of one of the characters.

Expect the survivor number to be updated for next week's show, and Kara remains horrid.

Thought it was definitely better than last week, and some good setup for next week's half-season cliffhanger.

Last edited by Drysolder; 09-12-2006 at 10:19.
Guest 49504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49   #2
Brozyniak
Marble Mad

Yeah, I felt that this episode upped the tempo a bit and held my interest more than the last. The Cylon experiments and the hints of the unknown 5 was very interesting.

I could have taken or left Kat's story TBH for me her character was a bit of non entity.
Brozyniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 17:47   #3
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The bit about the Cylons was interesting but do they have to keep killing the very few survivors they have? They are going to run out of people if they keep going

I thought Kat was one of the better minor characters

fact the writer was one the main Buffy & Angel writers
Old 09-12-2006, 17:59   #4
Maximus
are you not entertained?

Thank god she died ... I haaaaaaaaaated her
Put me on edge whenever she was on screen, talk about confrontational about absolutely everything.
Good episode though
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 19:40   #5
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

I liked Kat, she was one of the very few who didn't abase themselves in the glory that is Starbuck. For that she was a needed charecter. So to kill her off simply to add tension to a plot that we've allready dealt with (Water) is lazy writing. Added to this insult is the usual crap science and technobabble that used to be the domain if Trek but is now becoming all too common on this show.

WTF was up with Kara suggesting that smugglers got the humlons into Caprica City? Was it a police state with fences and watch towers? No, so the accusation that somehow drug runners were a partly responsible for the Genocide was pure BS and lead to Kat committing suicide by way of self sacrifice.

Though she did get a pre death shag from her former partner, which given how much she was rejecting her old life and how invested she was in the new respectable and worthy persona was a tad weird. Why not shag hotdog as some have speculated she was allready doing?

There was a nod to the events of last week with Lee watching Kara at the Wall.

Looks like Kara still isn't in Bills goodbooks yet as she hasn't been reinstated as honoury daughter.

Gaeta hasn't forgiven Tigh for the Circle.

Last edited by sleepy67; 09-12-2006 at 19:43.
sleepy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29   #6
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

An ok episode, concentrating on a character I dislike didn't help but enough Cylon intrigue to keep me interested.

Speaking of Cylons, the delicious Tricia Helfer (Six) is getting her kit off in next month's Playboy. .... Hopefully she wont be airbrushed too much.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16   #7
Guest 4145
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy67
WTF was up with Kara suggesting that smugglers got the humlons into Caprica City? Was it a police state with fences and watch towers? No, so the accusation that somehow drug runners were a partly responsible for the Genocide was pure BS and lead to Kat committing suicide by way of self sacrifice.
Pure BS to be sure - but uneasy parallels in our own world eg buy a pirate DVD and you're supporting terrorism.

Good ep - did more for me than the previous one. Anyone wonder why both the pilots or their ships don't have some kind of shielding against bright light.

Some intriguing backstory on the Cylons.
Guest 4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:40   #8
Guest 18
Trusted User

Not a bad episode but some terrible logic holes.

Why didn't the raptors just dock to the ships and jump with them?

As Green Cat says, why didn't they install shielding against the light, or give the pilots sunglasses?!

How did they know there was a planet with algae on the other side of a virtually impassable star cluster?

Last edited by Ravenger; 10-12-2006 at 08:40.
Guest 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:05   #9
Guest 49504

And the other one is why no-one figured out that Kat's radiation detector had been switched - presumably they all had a similar amount of exposure per run.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:04   #10
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robertson
How did they know there was a planet with algae on the other side of a virtually impassable star cluster?
Sharon scouted ahead at the start I think

I think the logic holes are escaping from Torchwood and infecting other shows now
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:50   #11
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
An ok episode, concentrating on a character I dislike didn't help but enough Cylon intrigue to keep me interested.
What he said. I much prefered last weeks episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
Speaking of Cylons, the delicious Tricia Helfer (Six) is getting her kit off in next month's Playboy.
Wahey!! Good girl!
Old 10-12-2006, 14:03   #12
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Reading comments RDM made on the podcast:

Re Shielding the Raptors or giving the pilots sunglasses: Would have meant that filming those scenes, we wouldn't have been able to see the pilots face.

Kara being a bitch: There was a cut sub plot where Kat was stealing food from t'other pilots to give to her Enzo as he was blackmailing her. Sort of makes some of Kara's aggression to Kat seem more justified, though not the traitor BS.

There was also a sub plot whereby Kara ans Lee spoke, hence the shot at the wall.

As usual the episode they didn't show sounds so much better than the one they showed.

Tricia was a model before becoming an actor its not as if there aren't any nude shots of her out there all ready. And Lets not forget Beautiful Female Celebrity + Playboy Photographer = Arty Crap airbrushed to death
Old 10-12-2006, 14:24   #13
Guest 4145
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy67
Reading comments RDM made on the podcast:

Re Shielding the Raptors or giving the pilots sunglasses: Would have meant that filming those scenes, we wouldn't have been able to see the pilots face.
I think they need to watch Star Wars again or even Pitch Black.
Guest 4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 14:51   #14
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_cat
I think they need to watch Star Wars again or even Pitch Black.
Yep.
Old 10-12-2006, 16:17   #15
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

I didn't get why the Raptor pilots had to have a visual bearing on their civilian ship once they jumped inside the radiation cloud. WHy would they need to actually set eyes on it before they can continue? Surely the Nav computer could just pinpoint "their" ship, transfer the jump coordinates and they FTL the hell out?

And am I the only guy who actually likes Starbuck? She's my favourite character ...
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:36   #16
Taq
Evil Scientist

I think the reason they had to see the ship was all the radiation screwed up their systems so they manually had to see the ship to get a bearing to contact the ship.

In the end though it doesn't really matter - it's a simple plot device to increase the tension. BSG has always been more about character and situation drama rather than being scientifically accurate.

I think Kara is fine as well. A lot of the characters in BSG aren't really that nice or likeable, they are just people pushed beyond the limits and trying to get on the best they can, which imo makes the show so good.

Taq
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:59   #17
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
And am I the only guy who actually likes Starbuck? She's my favourite character ...
I used to, but they destoyed every decent part of her. She has no redeeming charteristics anymore. She needs yet another redemption arc.
Old 10-12-2006, 18:21   #18
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq
I think Kara is fine as well. A lot of the characters in BSG aren't really that nice or likeable, they are just people pushed beyond the limits and trying to get on the best they can, which imo makes the show so good.
That's it exactly. Starbuck is angry, frakked up and sometimes her own worst enemy, but that's partly why I like her so much - she's full of flaws and contradictions, sometimes not entirely likeable, but there's never a dull moment when she's around. The depth of the characters as a whole is one of the reasons I love this show.

Last edited by jackal; 10-12-2006 at 20:23.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 18:43   #19
Guest 49504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq
I think the reason they had to see the ship was all the radiation screwed up their systems so they manually had to see the ship to get a bearing to contact the ship.
It was explained that the systems on board the Raptors have radiation shielding, and the visual was required to ensure the civvy ships survived the jump.
Old 10-12-2006, 19:43   #20
Guest 20854
Banned

Not entirely convinced by that episode myself - as usual guity of trying to tell too much story in 45m, and this time it suffered a bit.

Some great scenes though. I especially enjoyed Adama and Tigh losing it over the paper shortage.It rang true of people at the end of their tether.

ph
Guest 20854 is offline   Reply With Quote