Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Photography and Video

Notices

Old 23-05-2006, 20:50   #1
the ghost
Trusted User

quick question on photo of the week

OK here it is i do not want to sound funny or discriminate against any people submitting pictures into the comp.
but why do people that have submitted in the weekly comp seem to have another post to pictures taken when on Holiday or showing stuff the have taken. as once viewed you can see there pictures and some are the same as in the comp
so Evey one knows who it is
so forgive me to what i am going to say now but friends will vote for who they know
i am not bothered if it offends people but stranger things have happened
personally i think if people that have other thread showing pictures they should not show the picture of the week or anything to give identity away as this has happened a few times in the comp.
i know it supposed to be fun but they can show them at later date

i not sent nothing lately or doubtfully will do for a while with new job hopefully on bank Holiday may get something

Last edited by the ghost; 23-05-2006 at 20:51.
the ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 20:58   #2
Guest 7193
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ghost
but friends will vote for who they know
No they don't.

The ******* turncoats
Guest 7193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 21:01   #3
the ghost
Trusted User

why the quote may be not just friends may be they want to be friends
or you owe me a favour next time well you get my drift

Last edited by the ghost; 23-05-2006 at 21:03.
Old 23-05-2006, 21:03   #4
Highlander
There can be only one!

Don't think it matters.
You can tell some of the photographers just by looking at the photo anyway.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 21:04   #5
Wishy
Wonkey Shooter

I don't think they vote for their friends. People vote for what they like. And if somebody else has seen it, i doubt they would vote.
Does anybody seriously take pics and show them to no living sole before submitting? Part of the idea of the weekly is surely keeping motivation and improving skills, you do need other people to give critique sometimes!

At any rate, not like there is a cash prize. Infact organising the next week isn't the easiest of tasks, its time consuming.
Wishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 21:22   #6
Guest 45709
That Bloke

I don't think it matters that much tbh. I try to keep my comp entry off flickr (my only publicly accessible gallery) until after voting closes, but if I got really stuck for something to send, I'd probably send a pic people have seen rather than send nothing.

I vote for the pics I like best - and I'd tend to agree with Highlander that some people have a recognisable style in any case.
Guest 45709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 21:34   #7
Tempest
Trusted User

Must say, I vote for what I like, and I guess if I really tried I may be able to narrow down some pics to some people, but I deliberatly don't do that, I just try and take each pic on it's own merits and don't take any notice of who took it.
That said, as I always tend to favour the underdog, I have been tempted to vote for something which has no votes yet. I know that's wrong, and I have to say I've not yet done it, but if there is already a run-away winner and someone else has zero votes, it strikes me a nice gesture to put a vote their way as to some people just 1 vote can mean so much.
Myself I'm only starting out and am very delighted to get any votes.
I have been trying to get Different shots every time I have put forward a photo for the competition, and not just put forward the same kind of shot each week.

To end, I'd say that it would be nice to not know who submitted what as it's then totally unbiased, but I see no evidence of any friends voting.

Best of luck to all I say.

I suppose (in hindsight) it would be nice if there could in some way be a beginners competition or section. I know it does not always happen, but I suppose someone with lots of hardware and experience could be seen as having the edge re compostition/effect etc etc over people who are just starting out.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 21:49   #8
the ghost
Trusted User

i understand all your posts
it wa s just a idea that people should not post there pics in other parts of the forum till voting over
as tempest said Myself I'm only starting out and am very delighted to get any votes.
same here with me been ages since been keen amature just rekindleing the camera after years away

it wat just a hindsight that they can keep pictures till after vote

good responsce to my question
Old 24-05-2006, 00:02   #9
Lorne.t
Trusted User

In all reality who cares!
Is anyone bothered enough to vote for their friend or not vote for someone they dislike?
It's only the DVD Forums weekly photo competition after all!!
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 01:21   #10
Guest 7913
2009 post reset victim

I see where your coming from, I have indeed done just what you say on two occasions. However, when it comes to me voting, I vote for what I think is good regardless of if I have seen it before or not.

I think it would be pretty lame of someone to vote based on who took rather than if they liked the picture or not. I'd understand it if each week there was a prize but as there isn't I don't see why anyone would do that.
Guest 7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 02:03   #11
Guest 26778
Idiot Baiter

Yeah, my submissions for the comp are usually pretty obvious, and I know that I've often been able to identify the photographer from either their style or the subject matter - honestly, I can't say it's ever influenced my voting, and considering how it's all just for the fun of it, I don't think it really matters.
Guest 26778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 05:37   #12
Guest 53
A girl who loves football

Agree with the others. I can often tell who's picture it is by the style or subject matter (GJ includes his car in alot of his for example ). I vote for the pictures I like and not the taker. As for a beginners comp, how do you judge who's a beginner or what's beginners kit (not an SLR IMO)?
Guest 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 07:40   #13
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yeah you can usually get a good idea of who's taken the photo these days from the style and the subject matter. If it's of a horse there's a 99% probability I took it, if it's of a spider then Gothmog probably did etc
A lot of the photos people take for this compo are pretty indicative of their hobbies and locations I guess, and since the amount of free time for taking pics might be limited then the same subject matter turns up a lot for particular entrants.
Knowing who someone is doesn't affect if I'll vote for their pic or not, and often a winner one week will get very few votes the next. I tend to vote on whether I like the subject matter and/or style - technical correctness doesn't really bother me that much.

This doesn't explain however why there's always at least two nearly identical pics a week

Taq
Old 24-05-2006, 08:51   #14
Brozyniak
Marble Mad

I always vote for GreyJackal. Closely followed by Ireland and then France.

Seriously though I originally suggested that the comp was to be anonymous as some posters are more confident than others and it would encourage some of the lurkers to post, which I think that over time it has done (recently we had over 30 entries, originally it was around 20).

As for posting pictures before the comp. Generally I avoid posting a picture before the competition as it's always more fun to see the pictures there for the first time but it would be nuts to suggest that people mask their styles and subject matter in order to hide their identites!

There's heaps of value to the forums to see peoples threads of where they've been or what they've done and generally individuals are excited to share their experiences or new lenses with the forums. So there's no point killing that enjoyment for the sake of the picture of the week!
Brozyniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 09:10   #15
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Everyone has made good points, I'd like to add that it's because it's "only the dvdforums comp" that it doesn't matter to me if people vote for their friends or otherwise.
I just love that there's somewhere for any forumite to show their (and even my feeble) pictures where we can see people's responses and hopefully improve and in turn give our opinion to others, fwiw.

It's just for fun and to make extra voting rules like not voting for friends, or only exhibiting in the competition would take some of the fun out of it, imo.
Old 24-05-2006, 09:54   #16
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

GJ - I don't like you anymore. I can now vote for your pics

When voting I totally ignore all the technical info, and just go for the ones that leap out at me. Its then just a case of narrowing down to the 3 I like best, regardless of how technically brilliant they are, what kit was used or even if I can guess who took them.

Although once I've voted it is fun to go through and try and spot who took what
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 10:35   #17
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,141 Posts
I can also recognise certain photographers now, but vote for the ones that grab me. Don't even scan through the markings to upset the rankings. Just vote for what I like.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote