Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 04-12-2005, 08:46   #1
Guest 1694
Special Agent

[Xbox 360] Media Connect \ Streaming Music

So how has everyone else found the streaming music/pictures functionality ?

I installed media connect on my PC (www.xbox.com/pcsetup) ran through the config, set the firewall, set it to auto allow devices and added My Music etc,. Start it up on the 360 and it can't see the PC at all, fails during the final test. Likewise on my PC it cant see the 360..

All network config looks ok, they're both on the same subnet and both connect ok, Live works fine. Looking through the FAQ thats about the extent of the requirements... but I still cant get it working.

I'm presuming it must be some ports getting blocked on my router (Netgear) but not sure where to start, was hoping someone else has already figured it out ?
Guest 1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:33   #2
Guest 6079
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
I'm presuming it must be some ports getting blocked on my router (Netgear) but not sure where to start, was hoping someone else has already figured it out ?
Router ports shouldn't come into it as your on a lan. However ports may be closed off if youre using a software firewall.

Failing that I did hear a rumor that it would only work if connected from a Windows MCE PC, Don't know if that's true or not.
Guest 6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57   #3
dvdric
WARRIC ON XBOX LIVE/PSN

Ive been trying aswell always fails on last test connecting to windows xp pc. if i cant get it to work i will wait till some one makes a third party bit of software that lets movies streaming aswell on a windows xp it will happen.
dvdric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02   #4
Guest 1694
Special Agent

Some people have got it working straight off the bat with no problems so it does work.

The router is the default gateway for all devices on the network so everything passes through that, I suspect it may need some UDP/TCP ports opening.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:07   #5
Guest 22987
Trusted User

I've been able to get mine working ok - look a few tries - read somewhere to try running the software when the xbox is on and at the dashboard - that seemed to work for me. Really cool to be able to stream all my music downstairs to my living room - cool setting up soundtracks then playing slideshows of my photos.

Assume a patch will come out to stream video soon - stupid that you have to have a media centre PC to stream video - obviously nothing to do with piracy if the functionality is there - just seems like a ploy to push media centre
Guest 22987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26   #6
MarcusUK
Trusted User

I had no problems getting my pc to connect. I did assign an IP address etc, but that was so I could set a rule in my pc's firewall software (sygate personal firewall) to allow the 360 to connect.
MarcusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26   #7
Guest 32046
Trusted User

Didn't have any problems with the setup but viewing images isn't great. It doesn't seem to keep the directory structure of the PC, instead it puts all folders on one level. So you might have "Digital Camera > Birthdays > Images" and "Another Dir > Images" and it will show all 5 directories at the same level.

Streaming music is great though and works flawlessly from PC or Ipod.
Guest 32046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44   #8
dvdric
WARRIC ON XBOX LIVE/PSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusUK
I had no problems getting my pc to connect. I did assign an IP address etc, but that was so I could set a rule in my pc's firewall software (sygate personal firewall) to allow the 360 to connect.
Hi mate mine works when i turn off sygate how do you set a rule up to allow access if you could tell me i would be gratefull thankyou
dvdric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:09   #9
Guest 10381
Trusted User

I'm using Zone Alarm and had to add the 360 IP address as a trusted zone. Then it worked no probs.
Guest 10381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:21   #10
MarcusUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdric
Hi mate mine works when i turn off sygate how do you set a rule up to allow access if you could tell me i would be gratefull thankyou
Open up sygate from the icon in the system tray.

Tools -> Advanced Rules

Click add. Give the rule a name and selct allow traffic, then click on the hosts tab.
I specified the IP of my 360 as I've assigned one manually. Or you could do the MAC address of the 360, but I'm not sure where that info is.. Not had a look though to be honest.

Any probs though, just post back on here

XBL: iammarcoos
MarcusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:35   #11
Dave h-j
Suitable for vegetarians

Quote:
Some people have got it working straight off the bat with no problems so it does work.

The router is the default gateway for all devices on the network so everything passes through that, I suspect it may need some UDP/TCP ports opening.
You only need to open ports when going from LAN to WAN (i.e. local to internet). All traffic between the 360 and the PC will be LAN traffic and therefore opening a port will have zero impact - but by all means give it a go....

The problem is more likely to be with the PC firewall - I'd turn it off to test.
Dave h-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 19:20   #12
dancleary1
gamertag= kinapak

Mine worked first time no problems, and I have ZA firewall installed. The streaming music feature is so cool, listening to Audioslave blasting over PGR 3 was very nice.
Old 04-12-2005, 19:28   #13
Guest 1694
Special Agent

Cheers for the suggestions chaps, was indeed the software firewall, added my local subnet as a trusted zone and works a treat straight off.

Dissapointingly even after downloading the AAC file for iPOD usage you cant stream an AAC iTunes collection across your network..
Old 04-12-2005, 19:34   #14
Scottola
Plok!tastic

Mine worked fine, but my music is all over the place.

I think it may be because normally I use itunes and there's all the artist folders and on compilation albums, each will have a folder for that album in it.

So if I choose albums on the Xbox, I might get say 20 of the same album appear. I'm not really sure I want to start rearraning it all around.
Scottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 19:37   #15
Guest 6079
Trusted User

Quote:
Cheers for the suggestions chaps, was indeed the software firewall, added my local subnet as a trusted zone and works a treat straight off.
I knew it
Guest 6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 19:47   #16
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Just tried my iPod, did wonder if it'd work ok as it's mac formatted but was
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote