Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 23:06   #61
Floop
Medium Sized Member

Well I really enjoyed it! I loved the originals (I was about 20 when they aired) and now I'm about 30... it felt like revisiting old friends!! The only weak moment was "I thought I'd lost you babe" in my opinion.

I thought it was brilliant the way they clicked back into the same characters, 10 years on.
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 23:35   #62
Guest 3546
Trusted User

I liked it. Some quite funny moments and an amazing house..!
Guest 3546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 23:57   #63
Richie
Trusted User

Okay so it was nice to have 'em back but that's about the most positive thing I can say really.

It was all far too 'The Big Chill'/'Peter's Friends' (as I feared it would be), hell it even had a few of the very same plot points nicked wholesale from those!

The entire thing was too melodramatic with so much (dramatically anaemic) incidence happening over a single weekend. It actually could've worked as a six part series with the same overall arc but not set in one location and with time to flesh it out properly and believably but the reality of the actors' schedules would never have allowed it (apparently).

So yes in a lot of ways watching this was just like real life reunion experiences; you meet up with people you used to be close to for a short period of time, realise that you actually don't really like them, haven't got anything in common with them and can't for the life of you understand why you were ever "mates" in the first place!

'This Life' RIP.

Last edited by Richie; 03-01-2007 at 00:04.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 23:57   #64
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Really enjoyed it aswell.

Egg just hasn't changed at all.

Was good to catch up with them again, but like others have said, a shame none of the side characters were featured.

When's the new Series... ?

Outstanding!
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 00:03   #65
jan08
Emm You Eff See

Those that liked it and say they are the same age must have been watching a different original 2 series that I watched. Why did we need the staged, awful reflections on todays politics? As I recall, this is not what This Life was. There was absolutely none of the chemistry between characters compared to the original series, none of the comedy. I probably look back with rose tinted specs, but this wasn't in the same league as that show that I tell everyone "best show ever made".

Last edited by jan08; 03-01-2007 at 00:04.
jan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08   #66
Floop
Medium Sized Member

None of the chemistry and comedy? Oh gosh, I disagree with you hugely! That was what I found so engaging, the fact that they had resurrected things so utterley; I could well believe the characters from 10 years previous behaving and conversing in exactly the way they did in the show!

As for the politics - it was meant to be awful, thirty-something armchair politics that doesn't solve anything. It certainly wasn't meant to make us 'think' about the world, only about the way that people can yabber on about big issues and set the world to rights!

Each to their own though!
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42   #67
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floop
It certainly wasn't meant to make us 'think' about the world, only about the way that people can yabber on about big issues and set the world to rights!
Isn't that what drunken post-pub/club conversations at University are for though? By your 30s, who really gives a toss anymore?! Egg's suddenly massive overreaction to Miles' (obvious) voting habits just made him look like a tit (not to mention a bad actor)!

The biggest problem this 80 minute film had was that there were several long scenes that built-up to nothing; Warren flouncing off with Milly in tow, the entire horse / falling off a horse sequence, pointless scenes that did nothing except pad out the already meager running time. We didn't learn anything about Warren when he went off in a huff and a taxi so that was a waste of 10 minutes nor did we get any sense that Milly was (please hit me with an obvious metaphor) "letting go" when she tried something unknown to her.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56   #68
kohoutec
Slanted and Enchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Egg's suddenly massive overreaction to Miles' (obvious) voting habits just made him look like a tit (not to mention a bad actor)!
Overall I didnt think it was that bad, but I totally agree with you on this, Egg's rant came out of nowhere and looked totally out of place, as well as forced.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:12   #69
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

they were all drunk though and on edge. so seemed okay to me.

i wanted to know of the other people, joe, kira and blonde girl. and when did miles's marriage end. i assumed they would do warren had cancer/aids at one point but luckily they didn't.
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:55   #70
Guest 10415
Trusted User

Anyone know if this is being repeated? I missed it last night...
Guest 10415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:36   #71
Guest 17192
Trusted User

No repeats in the next couple of weeks.

If you can't source it elsewhere I read somewhere that the DVD is out in late February.
Guest 17192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:39   #72
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by karellen
No repeats in the next couple of weeks.

If you can't source it elsewhere I read somewhere that the DVD is out in late February.
Listed at Play.com for Ł12 released 26th Feb.

I'll give it a miss I think!
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 13:02   #73
Guest 16589
Banned

Shoot it was on last night, why no repeats??? Grrrr

Last edited by bradavon; 03-01-2007 at 13:03.
Guest 16589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 13:16   #74
SPB
Balding Member

Thought this was OK too. Not brilliant like the original series but an interesting window into what happened.

The biggest problem for me was that things worked out totally different from how I imagined it following the wedding in Apocolipse Wow. I wd have like a bit of fill as to how they all got to where they were in their lives.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 15:53   #75
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Wasn't really expecting much, they should have left it alone. No word on what happened to Ferdy other than he died, how?, What about the Scottish bloke he was with and not warren when he went away. Also what happened with Jo, Claire, O'Donnel, Kira, etc. Disapointed, turned it off after 1hr 20, so what did I miss after that other than This Life +20/30 etc.?
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 16:43   #76
Steviey
You'll float too Georgie.

Very disappointing. This is a proven example of why "updates" rarely work. It was nice to see the crowd back together but I found myself being critical of how they looked rather than why I watched it in the first place.
Steviey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 17:18   #77
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

It would have been nice at the time to have a 3rd series, however as time goes by I'm thankful that such classics are left alone as remakes/updates tend to be nothing like the originals.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 17:39   #78
beaky
Omnipresent

I have watched This Life for the first time over the last couple of months (I'm 26 - my parents wouldn't have let me watch it the first time round - too much swearing ) and really enjoyed it. But this was drivel. The original series worked so well because nothing really out of the ordinary happened. Just normal problems and scenarios most of us face in our 20's. That's what made it great to watch - the scripting and acting carried it along, without major plots.

This was over dramatic, lacked any substance, or script IMO.

A real disappointment.
beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 18:48   #79
Guest 5611
Trusted User

watched it just now and overall i liked it.

the documentary maker was a kind of pale imitation of the bitch from series 2, and there were a few other bits that didnt work, but overall i liked it.

over 2 series it mingled in major storylines without them feeling forced - thats much harder to do in a one off. and over 2 series they could afford to dwell on the non events that were so enjoyable.

it certainly wasnt perfect and the scenario in a way couldnt help being antithesis to the original, but i found it a likeable reminder.
Guest 5611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 00:47   #80
stu_69
prohibido

I thought it was ******. I went through phases of liking/hating the original. Sometimes I would watch it and hate all the characters and want to kill them sometimes I would really enjoy it.

I watched this last night and thought it was drivel. The plot was all over the shop, we had a self made millionaire go broke and decide to travel the world, a marriage break up and get back together, a mental break down and a bit of sunset beach thrown in for good measure. It was a waste of time.

This life worked because a lot of people could relate to it in their twenties this had nothing to relate to (unless everyone went off and became vacuous ******* in their thirties )
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote