Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 31-03-2005, 14:45   #81
Andrew70
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear
Is this not an early April fools joke then......or was that the first episode
I saw you'd posted in this thead and thought you'd popped in to suggest Bernie Ecclestone for the role

A.
Andrew70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 14:54   #82
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,536 Times in 501 Posts
Nah, you can't have a 3ft Doctor!! He'd make Billie look lanky!
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 14:55   #83
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Do you really expect the 12 Doctors thing to be an issue? It was mentioned once because it was a big number back in the day when they never thought they'd get close to that.

Chances are they'll come up with a story around it if they ever get to the last Dr

Rik
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 15:03   #84
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant
Do you really expect the 12 Doctors thing to be an issue? It was mentioned once because it was a big number back in the day when they never thought they'd get close to that.

Chances are they'll come up with a story around it if they ever get to the last Dr

Rik
I dimly recall a sequence in one of the early episodes in which the Doctor's previous incarnations - previous to Hartnell - flashed before him; so we are well past 12 already...

If this is simply a piece of clever media manipulation by the Beeb, then I take my hat off to them, the sly dogs, and good luck to 'em.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 15:07   #85
Guest 2295
Filmmaker

Plus there's a story back in the Tom Baker years where Romana regenerates herself several times in the space of a few minutes, just to "try out" a few bodies! So I don't think this "12" thing is written in stone...
Guest 2295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 15:29   #86
thescrounger
Trusted User

How could anybody forget the Timelords offering The Master a new life cycle?
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 15:54   #87
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I dimly recall a sequence in one of the early episodes in which the Doctor's previous incarnations - previous to Hartnell - flashed before him; so we are well past 12 already...
That would be The Brain of Morbius, and there's been a lot of argument about that. Generally it's believed the images were actually those of Morbius's previous incarnations though it's misleading. The previous incarnations don't look very Doctor-ish anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger
How could anybody forget the Timelords offering The Master a new life cycle?
I didn't... a page back

Last edited by DeadKenny; 31-03-2005 at 16:00.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:11   #88
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
That would be The Brain of Morbius, and there's been a lot of argument about that. Generally it's believed the images were actually those of Morbius's previous incarnations though it's misleading. The previous incarnations don't look very Doctor-ish anyway.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:16   #89
Guest 993
Trusted User

It's really getting worrying what I'm picking up watching those UK Gold repeats
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:21   #90
thescrounger
Trusted User

The previous Doctors in Brain of Morbius were, the director, the producer, camera men etc.
Old 31-03-2005, 16:31   #91
Guest 17635
Trusted User

During the Five Doctors the Master was offered a new regenerative cycle. So it is obviously possible to recharge a timelord.
Guest 17635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 16:34   #92
Guest 6138
An Honest Yank

Casanova star David Tennant might take over the role....

This article was on scifi.com:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30754

Who Star Quits Abruptly

Christopher Eccleston has quit the title role of the BBC's new Doctor Who series after just one episode of the new series aired, the BBC reported. Eccleston, whose first appearance as the ninth Time Lord attracted around 10 million viewers in its premiere on March 26, feared being typecast, the network said.

Talks are taking place to replace him with Casanova star David Tennant.

The surprise news followed earlier reports that the BBC, buoyed by Doctor Who's huge audience, had ordered up a second season after just one episode had hit British airwaves. Russell T. Davies will again write the show, which is produced by BBC Wales.

Billie Piper, who plays Doctor Who's assistant, Rose, is expected to star again.

Eccleston's last appearance is expected to be in a Christmas special. He said that he is planning new projects and that he found filming the series gruelling, the BBC reported.
Guest 6138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 17:49   #93
Guest 2795
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
)
The producer at the time Philip Hinchcliffe has admitted that they inserted those additonal faces to try and muddy the waters over the doctors history and to imply that William Hartnell wasn't necessarliy the first incarnation of the doctor.

Last edited by fccabs; 31-03-2005 at 17:50.
Guest 2795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 17:51   #94
Guest 2883
Trusted User

Quote:
Bill Nighy and Chiwetel Ejoifor are both up for the lead
Had to look him up in IMDB because the name isn't familiar, but I see he was in Melinda & Melinda; I saw it a couple of weeks ago and he was pretty good in it, although he was playing an American so it's hard to picture him as the Doctor without having heard his natural voice. Also he's in Serenity; I'm sure the Whedon stamp of approval carries a lot of weight with RTD

~~stu
Guest 2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 18:50   #95
Guest 2728
Trusted User

"I doubt he signed for more than one season. I can't understand why they'd pick a complete unknown to replace him though - sounds like rubbish that has been picked up because he's in another Davies show. Unless they want to make it cheaper...."

Tennant won't be an unknown for much longer - he is very much a young actor on the rise and has a key role in the next instalment of the Harry Potter money train, i'd be happy with the choice.
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 19:05   #96
thescrounger
Trusted User

I doubt they'll cast anybody over the age of 45. RTD said that the shooting schedule was so unhealthy it would probably kill an older actor. Rules out people like Bill Nighy, David Warner etc.

Last edited by thescrounger; 31-03-2005 at 19:10.
Old 31-03-2005, 19:23   #97
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Quote:
Oh dear didn't take long for the conspiracy theories to start.
Thats it! We need David Icke as Dr. Who!!

Eccelston was one of the reasons why I watched it really. He's a good actor who was doing his best to cover up laughable dialogue in the first episode. It did show promise though.

Why couldnt Billie have left instead?
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 19:31   #98
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
"I doubt he signed for more than one season. I can't understand why they'd pick a complete unknown to replace him though - sounds like rubbish that has been picked up because he's in another Davies show. Unless they want to make it cheaper...."

Tennant won't be an unknown for much longer - he is very much a young actor on the rise and has a key role in the next instalment of the Harry Potter money train, i'd be happy with the choice.
He's also an unashamed self confessed Doctor Who fan.
Old 31-03-2005, 19:56   #99
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySymbian

I wonder if Tom Baker could be tempted back??
Hes far to fat for a come back now.. But how about a lady Doc!!!
You heard it here 1st!!!!!
Old 31-03-2005, 20:15   #100
MrSynner
Fear the puppet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety
During the Five Doctors the Master was offered a new regenerative cycle. So it is obviously possible to recharge a timelord.
(Dons anorak) At the time the Master was offered a complete new life cycle (to quote the phrase used in the story) he was a Trakenite, NOT a Time Lord.

However, if they can retro-fit alien races with regenerative abilities, it seems more than possible they can do the same to the Doctor. Failing that, there's always the old brain / mind swap thing, where they could put the Doctor's brain in another, new (perhaps cloned?) body.

In what episode was it established that thirteen was the limit for regenerations? Was it Deadly Assassin? I know it HAS been explicitly stated at some point - and that the Doctor has (as of the episode 'Rose') regenerated eight times. (He's the NINTH Doctor, but only the EIGHTH regeneration. See 'Five Doctors' - where Davison identifies himself as the FOURTH regeneration to the original Doctor)

(Unzips and removes anorak)

Or perhaps the christmas special opens with Rose waking up in her room in the TARDIS, getting up and going into the console room.....

"Doctor, I just had a very strange dream."

"Oh? Tell me all about it" says Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor.

Of the names being chucked about on the BBC news today, I got a little excited at the mention of Bill Nighy, said 'Who?' when they mentioned Tennant, but nearly needed fresh underwear when they suggested Richard E Grant. YES! Perfect choice - and he's even played the role twice before (superbly too)
MrSynner is offline   Reply With Quote