Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 31-03-2005, 07:51   #41
Guest 2295
Filmmaker

In terms of number of stories, he'll still beat both Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy who did 11 and 12 respectively. Ok, so his screen-time will be a lot less, and he will have only had a single year in the role, but it's still a respectable run.

"Fear of being typecast". Too late!!! hehehe....
Guest 2295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 07:52   #42
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daglor
Maybe... just maybe...

Eccie agrees to do Dr.Who as a favour to RTD, saying he'll only do one but will work his little cotton socks off to make sure it is watched.

RTD already has David Tennant up his sleeve.

Thus the BBC Publicity Dept has a way of keeping Dr.Who in the news for several weeks.

Dr.Who is massive once more.

Dr.Who Xmas Special is the smash Xmas hit (thus becoming the 'Morcambe & Wise' of Xmas for the next ten years).

But most importantly; Kids in the playground are arguing over which of them is the Doctor and who wants to be a dalek (and of course the fat kid complaining that he doesn't want to be Rose).
I think you're really grasping at straws there...

Actor finds out writer mate is doing big new series and actively pursues part.

Gets part and finds schedule hectic, publicity appearences painful and is freaked out by the weird fans.

Quits.

Last edited by Harsin; 31-03-2005 at 07:53.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:07   #43
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Well originally they were going to wait for 6 or 7 episodes to decide whether to commision a new series but instead they announce it after one.

It could be that he is being offered a new series without any real data to say if this series is a hit or just a one off curiousity thing. He's being asked to sign up before a second episode has aired which will be the true marker of a hit.

I'm not sure I would sign up as he could spend the next few years in a low rated sci-fi show and suffer the humiliation of being beaten by Ant and Dec every week in the ratings.

Clearly the BBC is hedging its bets by trying to sign up the stars to more episodes assuming that it will be a hit and they've scared the star into refusing.

They should have waited a few episodes, offered more money and they could have had him no trouble

Rik
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:19   #44
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Just noticed that Choices have some DVDs from the new series up for pre-order, has this been mentioned yet?
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:36   #45
Guest 17522
Can barely read or tpye !

Location: (sky of blue) ... (sea of green) ... (in our yellow) ... (submarine)
Him - quitting and saying so now - is a complete 'downer' for the rest of the run and very odd timing after the first ep has aired. Recent interviews gave no hint of his intentions did they ? Granted, he's an actor...

Something just 'aint right here

Mike.
Guest 17522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:37   #46
Dan
Passed away :(

I'm still getting over his role in Gone In 60 Seconds.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:45   #47
Guest 31673
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman
In terms of number of stories, he'll still beat both Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy who did 11 and 12 respectively. Ok, so his screen-time will be a lot less, and he will have only had a single year in the role, but it's still a respectable run.

"Fear of being typecast". Too late!!! hehehe....
There's 2 two-parters in the series so he will only be in 11 stories plus the Christmas special if that's confirmed.

Last edited by Andrew WK; 31-03-2005 at 08:46.
Guest 31673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:31   #48
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin
I think you're really grasping at straws there...

Actor finds out writer mate is doing big new series and actively pursues part.

Gets part and finds schedule hectic, publicity appearences painful and is freaked out by the weird fans.

Quits.
I think you hit the nail smack bang on the head there m8

Because he was "not a fan of the show" he had absoulty no idea what he was really getting him self into.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:34   #49
Guest 28082
Trusted User

The backlash has started!

TBH, I think RTD should leave as well. All the reports seem to hint that the best episodes aren't written by him, and he really has made some jaw-droppingly bad choices.
Guest 28082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:38   #50
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant
Well originally they were going to wait for 6 or 7 episodes to decide whether to commision a new series but instead they announce it after one.
I suspect The Sun forced things and knowing what they were about to print the BBC decided to announce the 2nd series was going to be commisioned to ensure it doesn't get dropped, and then a few hours later decided to confirm Chris is leaving as most of the papers had picked up on it by then.

Going by the rumours of the last episode I think this was always on the cards but he was probably going to leave it open until then, and we'd have a shock ending and a new series with a new actor. Would have been quite a stunt, but sadly The Sun has spoilt it.

It certainly explains though why he's been nervous during interviews and not confirming much about his long term commitment to the role. In some interviews (Blue Peter and Johnathon Ross in particular) he seemed to be a little overwhelmed by it all especially when Ross brought out the toy figure of him.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:45   #51
Guest 18276
Too old for Hamlet

I'm amazed Russell Davies didnt have him on a contract that allowed the option of signing him up for a second series. Which does kind of suggest to me at least that it was only ever intended to be a one series gig to hype up the return of the series then get a longer term less well known actor in.

Eccleston did looked very stunned by the toy that Wossy gave him though. Back to the drawing board with that one!

I'd like to see Tony Head doing it.
Guest 18276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:47   #52
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

It'll be interesting to see all the people who after one episode said "Eccleston is amazing" now saying how bad he is etc etc
the thing with no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 09:57   #53
Guest 993
Trusted User

Thing is Russell Davies wasn't even considering Eccleston when the series was first announced. Eccleston asked Davies to put his name down as he wanted to work with him, but Eccleston himself has admitted he wasn't a fan of the show as a kid.

Seems to me he did it for reasons other than wanting to be the new Doctor, and it was perhaps a mistake for Davies to take him on if he didn't have the commitment.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:59   #54
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Howie
He was my original choice however I think I'd prefer someone like Patrick Stewart, someone theatrical at least.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 10:22   #55
Guest 48579
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thing with no name
It'll be interesting to see all the people who after one episode said "Eccleston is amazing" now saying how bad he is etc etc
eh?

Why?

I thought Ecclestone was amazing, and was the main reason I watched it!

I think hes a bit of an idiot for dropping it so quickly but as long as the writing is up to scratch, then I am sure that the series will continue sucessfully.
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 10:23   #56
Guest 18269
Awaiting his new t25

Quote:

As much as i like him i just cant see him playing the doctor, he isn't excentric enough for the role.
Guest 18269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 10:45   #57
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
No, no, no, stop it with this Buffy stuff!

Next thing people will be wanting Sarah Michelle Gellar as the assistant and then there will be a campaign to rename the show to Buffy.

Sorry if Buffy has finished, but tough. Why does everyone want it to be Buffy?! Doctor Who never was, never should be and never will be, god damn Buffy!!

Old 31-03-2005, 10:58   #58
Harsin

People are probaly picking up on the Buffy thing because the writer of Doctor Who kept banging on and on about Buffy in the lead up to this show.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 11:12   #59
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

I doubt he signed for more than one season. I can't understand why they'd pick a complete unknown to replace him though - sounds like rubbish that has been picked up because he's in another Davies show. Unless they want to make it cheaper....

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 11:13   #60
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
No, no, no, stop it with this Buffy stuff!

Next thing people will be wanting Sarah Michelle Gellar as the assistant and then there will be a campaign to rename the show to Buffy.

Sorry if Buffy has finished, but tough. Why does everyone want it to be Buffy?! Doctor Who never was, never should be and never will be, god damn Buffy!!

So what exactly are you trying to say here

new is offline   Reply With Quote