Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 14-01-2007, 20:02   #161
jaminblack
Escaped Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
Glad you're all planning to watch. I'm actually a little nervous because after the first interview they said they wanted to film me again becasue 'I was so much more controversial than any of the other authors'.

I didn't think I was remotely controversial, so my 'I'm on telly' excitement is mixed with a healthy glob of paranoia.
Perhaps they said that to you all after the first bout of filming,
just so they could gauge the tone of the answers. I'm sure they
had more problems with the kids coming across controversially
than any of the other contributers.

fyi My younger brother prefers your books to Alex Rider books
but he's not read any of the Mcnab or young bond output.

Keep up the good work.
jaminblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 20:48   #162
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Actuall, the most controversial comment I made was about children's publishing being dominated by posh women who have no idea what 13 year old boys like.

Luckily they used a clip of Charlie Higson saying exactly the same thing.
bollecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 21:21   #163
Floop
Medium Sized Member

That point was bang on.

BTW is Horowitz the biggest seller of all of you? If so, I'm not sure why as I think his books are least interesting. Charlie Higson's books are excellent though. Who was the fifth author, who was all into Africa and shamanism? I have forgotten.
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 07:24   #164
Guest 1055
Redigested User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floop
Who was the fifth author, who was all into Africa and shamanism? I have forgotten.
IIRC, it was David Gilman
Guest 1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 20:33   #165
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
That point was bang on.

BTW is Horowitz the biggest seller of all of you? If so, I'm not sure why as I think his books are least interesting. Charlie Higson's books are excellent though. Who was the fifth author, who was all into Africa and shamanism? I have forgotten.
David Gilman was signed up by Puffin for big £££ and I think it was a bit of a coup for them getting him on the program when people like Chris Ryan who has been writing kids adventure series for longer than me didn't get asked.

Horowitz Neilsen Bookscan numbers for Ark Angel were over 250,000 in 2005. These numbers are based sales tracked through bookshops and probably equate to more like 500,000 actual books sold (Including bookclubs, supermarkets, export copies etc) just for this one title

Puffin gave Higson a huge promotional budget and his TV connections and the Bond link means he's sold at least 150,000 for each book.

My sales for The Recruit have been around 100,000 so far and 500,000 for the entire six book series, but the sales pattern is completely different to Charlie Higson as I was an unknown author who started off with a tiny promotion and marketing budget and miniscule sales.

My sales more than doubled last year and Hodder's target is to at least double again in 2007. Which means for the first time in my life I currently have quite a bit of dosh coming in...
Old 15-01-2007, 20:38   #166
RobDickinson
Trusted User

lend us a fiver then mate!

Well done, takes a while to get established, hard miles done!
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 20:58   #167
Floop
Medium Sized Member

That's really interesting.

I was trying to work out who of the set I believe are the best authors, and why. Trying to judge is really hard and obviously the result would only be based on my opinion, even though I attempted to be objective, but based on things like how well written (in terms of language) the books are, how approachable the books are for kids, how realistic and unpatronisingly they are written (e.g. plausibility not overstretched), and how gripping they are, my totals are:

Charlie Higson - 35 points - brilliantly written and only failed to score more points because of the refusal to pander to what is currently hip and trendy! This however is, to my mind, a bonus - but only discerning readers will realise how well written the books are. Hence why his sales figures are comparatively low even though he has the James Bond connection.

Robert Muchamore - 35 points - gripping, very approachable, enjoyably written for kids, and deals with issues that are relevant to kids in a way that isn't patronising. The only reason they have not sold more is that Horowitz got the big name first, so your books have entered a crowded marketplace at a difficult time. However, the numbers are building!!

J.K. Rowling - 33 points - Well written, approachable for kids and gripping, but slightly let down by being a bit too based in the fantasy world.

Anthony Horowitz - 26 points - Early to market so got a lot of success early on, but they are not particularly well written and are realy very implausible. At times they are quite humourless and dull, but can be approachable for kids. His new books (Power of Five) are more interesting than the Alex Rider novels.

Andy McNab - 26 points - Much is made of the supposedly realistic tone of the novels. In terms of death this is true but much of the technical stuff is either incredibly dull or pure gibberish (especially when talking about technology such as The Internet which it seems the author has never used). These books also lack a sense of humour or particularly likeable characters.

God I'm a geek.

P.S. Why did David Gilman get offered shedloads of cash? Is he established elsewhere, or did the publishers identify him as being 'the next big thing'? Because the people in Waterstones the next day didn't have a clue who he was... but then I forgot his name and could only describe his books vaguely about 'a kid and africa and shamanism'...

Last edited by Floop; 15-01-2007 at 21:00.
Old 15-01-2007, 21:01   #168
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,169 Posts
Quote:
My sales more than doubled last year and Hodder's target is to at least double again in 2007. Which means for the first time in my life I currently have quite a bit of dosh coming in...
Money for a few typed words, who would have thunk it?
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 21:12   #169
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Why did David Gilman get offered shedloads of cash? Is he established elsewhere, or did the publishers identify him as being 'the next big thing'? Because the people in Waterstones the next day didn't have a clue who he was... but then I forgot his name and could only describe his books vaguely about 'a kid and africa and shamanism'...
It's mainly hype that arises when publishers get into bidding wars with other publishers.

Hodder's big new author for 2004 was a fantasy writer called David Lee Stone (very nice guy acutally!). He got a 'high six figure advance' and loads of marketing budget.

I got a four figure advance and not much marketing at first (Hodder didn't even ask me to do a signing until book 3!) Three years later do an Amazon search of Hodder's bestselling booksand ask yourself if they spent their money wisely:

And apologies to the mods but I have no idea how to affiliate that link!
Amazon.co.uk

Last edited by Joober; 15-01-2007 at 22:40. Reason: affiliated :)
bollecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 22:00   #170
Floop
Medium Sized Member

Heh, that would be YOU in the top of Hodder's Children's bookselling list!!

Let me confirm something though. Say you got an advance of £8000 and a 5% royalty - and I've made these figures and percentages up - would this not mean that you get £8000 upfront and only start receiving more once your 5% royalties exceed the £8000 upfront. E.G. if the book sells for £5, you get 5% of this which is 25p per book, so after 32,000 copies at 25p per book, your 'advance' is paid off and you start receiving 25p per book thereafter which could turn into a comfortable life.

In which case I would hope you are receiving nice royalties on each book!!

David Lee Stone however may have bought a cushy house in Guadeloupe on his six figure advance, but has little likelihood of seeing any royalties beyond his advance.

This post sounds like a GCSE Maths question.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:30   #171
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

I'm sure a mod will be along to affiliate your link

Harry's just finished Man vs Beast and loved it. Well done Looking forward to the next one, so stop reading the forums and get writing!
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 10:33   #172
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Heh, that would be YOU in the top of Hodder's Children's bookselling list!!

Let me confirm something though. Say you got an advance of £8000 and a 5% royalty - and I've made these figures and percentages up - would this not mean that you get £8000 upfront and only start receiving more once your 5% royalties exceed the £8000 upfront. E.G. if the book sells for £5, you get 5% of this which is 25p per book, so after 32,000 copies at 25p per book, your 'advance' is paid off and you start receiving 25p per book thereafter which could turn into a comfortable life.

In which case I would hope you are receiving nice royalties on each book!!

David Lee Stone however may have bought a cushy house in Guadeloupe on his six figure advance, but has little likelihood of seeing any royalties beyond his advance.

This post sounds like a GCSE Maths question.

That's basically right. When you get royalties over and above your advance it's called 'earning out'. Apparently over 2/3rds of books never earn out.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:36   #173
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
That's basically right. When you get royalties over and above your advance it's called 'earning out'. Apparently over 2/3rds of books never earn out.
So if a book never earns out do you have to pay the "extra" advance back?
Old 16-01-2007, 10:51   #174
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175
So if a book never earns out do you have to pay the "extra" advance back?
No, advances are non-recoupable. Once you've got it, you never pay it back.

Some publishers try to make advances recoupable against a whole series (which helps them if a first book does well but the sequel flops, or vice versa) but most agents insist on what's called individual accounting where each title gets its own advance.
Old 26-02-2007, 18:11   #175
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Just to say that the new book The Fall is in most shops now for anyone interested.
Old 26-02-2007, 18:46   #176
Floop
Medium Sized Member

Thanks for the heads up...
Old 13-03-2007, 09:59   #177
Guest 26162
Trusted User

Well my daughter dragged me to town to buy it on Sunday morning once she realised that the Amazon reported publication date of 15 March was nonsense. She had finished it by the end of the day and my wife by the end of yesterday, I think they both enjoyed it and are already counting the days to October ;-)
Guest 26162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 11:30   #178
Guest 32699
Banned

read it and enjoyed it although i have to confess that it did feel a little bit "filler" compared to the other books.
Guest 32699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 21:21   #179
Guest 26162
Trusted User

Well daughter is now ridiculously excited at having spotted The CHERUB quiz event hosted by RM at Foyles on 11th April. She's hoping to be there.
Guest 26162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 09:38   #180
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazportico
Well daughter is now ridiculously excited at having spotted The CHERUB quiz event hosted by RM at Foyles on 11th April. She's hoping to be there.
If she wants to come I'd suggest e-mailing Foyles quite soon. It's only been on my website for about four days and 40 out of 130 tickets are gone already!

Be sure to say hi if you make it!