Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 29-06-2007, 19:29   #201
Guest 1532
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks View Post
We don't mind too much becasue we only offer The Book People the older titles in the series.

To the previous poster, I'd say my books are more like 10+ than 7+. There's a bit of snogging, mild swearing and quite a lot of violence in them. I occasionaly meet readers aged 8 or 9 at events, they're usually wildly enthuiastic (and because of the length of my books much brighter than average) but I do wonder if parents know what their kids are actually reading!
It's a really tricky one. I hate the idea of censoring kids reading but I agree.. not sure I'ld want my 8 year old reading them...

I went to a seminar at the Education Show where they talked about 'lad lit' and yours actually got the thumbs up ( along with Anthony Horowitz ) we were warned about the evils of Charlie Higson though... which was maybe some kind of subversive marketing tactic as I then went out and bought them... still not got around to reading them mind! Any good?
Guest 1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 20:30   #202
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Mmm I'm intrigued why the Higson books would cause a problem. I've only read the first one. It seemed fairly innocuous and my only qualm would be that I found the plot dragged in places.
Old 29-06-2007, 21:03   #203
teabag
Green eyes

Generally if children are not 'ready' for certain written material they will actually find the material boring and will not continue or want to continue reading. If they are 'ready' then they will continue reading. This is not always the case mind but is just a general rule.

The same applies to questions. If you get an 'embarrassing' question from a child it is usually because they already know the answer and are just looking for verification from their parents.

The only time I've had a problem with the content of a childrens book was with a recent children's carnegie award nominee, Finding JJ, which dealt fairly graphically with child abuse and child murder (as in a child killing another child).
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:12   #204
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

I definitely agree that nothing in one of my book is gonna blow and eight year olds mind.

Parents are a different matter, I've recently had a complaint from a woman who said my books were unsuitable for her fifteen year old!

I strongly suspect she's from some previously unknown mock-Tudor enclave where everyone reads the Daily Mail.
Old 29-06-2007, 21:40   #205
redvers
Member? FNARR!

Quote:
To the previous poster, I'd say my books are more like 10+ than 7+. There's a bit of snogging, mild swearing and quite a lot of violence in them. I occasionaly meet readers aged 8 or 9 at events, they're usually wildly enthuiastic (and because of the length of my books much brighter than average) but I do wonder if parents know what their kids are actually reading!
For my own son, if he's anything like his dad he'll have a very advanced reading age - I was basically 2 or 3 years ahead in my first year of primary school (7ish?). As to mild swearing, I'm sure he'll hear worse at home/school/out and about whatever we do to protect him from that 99% of the time.

Regarding my nephew, as English is either his 3rd or his 4th language (and yes he's 7 next month). He's a Filipino, and over where he is the local language is #1 with the national language #2. The school he is at is a Chinese school so he also gets to learn Chinese as well as English, I just don't know which order they are in! He'll likely need something that captures his imagination and entertains as well as improving his English, so a book like this that is in theory "too old" for him should do just that - and he won't understand the swearing anyway

So... do you give a discount if I buy the books direct for cash, no questions asked?
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 09:40   #206
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvers View Post

So... do you give a discount if I buy the books direct for cash, no questions asked?
Since the Royal Mail introduced their size based postage system the cost of posting a book has gone up from around 60p to about £1.50.

I can't compete with Amazon or Play on price, but if you'd like signed copies for £5 delivered drop me an e-mail: mail@cherubcampus.com
Old 30-06-2007, 15:13   #207
Guest 1532
goldfish

Robert any chance of a graphic novel? Have just purchased the first Anthony Horowitz one and have Point Blanc & Artemis Fowl on pre-order. Trying to get my school to buy some at the moment as they are great for EAL and reluctant readers.
Guest 1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 16:09   #208
Guest 8216
Looking for love

Quote:
Since the Royal Mail introduced their size based postage system the cost of posting a book has gone up from around 60p to about £1.50.

I can't compete with Amazon or Play on price, but if you'd like signed copies for £5 delivered drop me an e-mail: mail@cherubcampus.com
First time i have seen this and would like to say congratulations

Also if the offer is still open i would like to buy the first 4 books, signed if possible please. Have sent you mail

Look forward to reading them.
Guest 8216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 17:35   #209
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Robert any chance of a graphic novel? Have just purchased the first Anthony Horowitz one and have Point Blanc & Artemis Fowl on pre-order. Trying to get my school to buy some at the moment as they are great for EAL and reluctant readers.
This is a new trend. It's actually much more a French trend where Manga type books sell in huge numbers. If CHERUB is a success in France (only released in Feb so too soon to say) there's a chance of a graphic novel.

It's unlikely to be out for a couple of years though.
Old 02-07-2007, 22:05   #210
RobDickinson
Trusted User

bollecks - found your book sin the local Boarders (chch, NZ) and you had almost 3 shelves which I thought quite good

Then saw Paolini had 5 shelves, and only 2 books out, how hyped....
Old 03-07-2007, 09:00   #211
GregB
Stagger Lee

The publishers probably paid more for the extra shelf space.
GregB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45   #212
Guest 8216
Looking for love

Got the books today Bollecks,Super fast delivery!!! many thanks. Gonna take them to Devon with me at the weekend so will get through them all I expect over the week we are away. Looking forward to them going by the reviews on here.
Guest 8216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:22   #213
Guest 2858
Jedi Master

Quote:
what about the audio books? and are they unabridged?
Guest 2858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48   #214
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
what about the audio books? and are they unabridged?
Sadly not.

yaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 13:13   #215
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
The publishers probably paid more for the extra shelf space.
It’s not that simple. You can pay for promotional slots like 3 for 2s, book of the month or chart positions, but most shops only hold a minimum stock enabling them to stock as many titles as possible.

There’s been a bit of fuss about this recently and people seem to miss the fact that all the major publishers are making record profits, while retailers big and small are closing down and cutting floorspace.

If there’s three shelves of a couple of books, it’s either a very fast selling title or a very inneficient bookshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy25 View Post
Got the books today Bollecks,Super fast delivery!!! many thanks. Gonna take them to Devon with me at the weekend so will get through them all I expect over the week we are away. Looking forward to them going by the reviews on here.
Glad they arrived safely. Hope you enjoy reading them!
Old 03-07-2007, 15:03   #216
teabag
Green eyes

And very expensive and corrupt it is too... The only true guides seem to be the 'staff picks' at Waterstones or Borders.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle669160.ece

Quote:
The WH Smith scheme is the most expensive in a range of confidential deals being operated by retailers to promote lists that consumers believe are based on independent assessments of a book’s quality.

No authors appear on recommended lists unless their publishers pay the fees, and those refusing to pay may not even find their titles stocked.

Other big booksellers which charge for places on schemes such as “book of the week” or “recommended” are Waterstone’s and Borders, which owns Books Etc. The most expensive is WH Smith’s “adult gold” scheme, which is currently being presented to publishers who are expected to pay £50,000 a week per book for a place.

This guarantees a prominent position in the store’s 542 high street shops and inclusion in catalogues and other advertising. For the critical four-week Christmas sales period, it would cost a publisher at least £200,000 per book.

With WH Smith selling between 30% and 40% of the most popular books in the run-up to Christmas, titles securing a place on the scheme are assured a successful sale.

The schemes were first exposed by The Sunday Times five years ago but, with fees having risen as much as ten-fold, publishers say that it is getting “out of hand”.

A director of one leading publisher said: “If you pay this fee in December your book will be a bestseller. But only a handful of the biggest publishers can now afford the fees so the book charts are totally skewed.”

WH Smith is understood to run up to 25 different endorsement schemes at any one time in its stores. These include charging £15,000 for a book to be named “read of the week” during the year and recommended tags on certain titles.

For example, last week Londonstani by Gautam Maltani was described as a “must-have novel . . . compulsive, page-turning”, while Getting Out of the House by Isla Dewar was a “delicious and unputdownable read”.

Waterstone’s charges £10,000 for its “book of the week” and offers a range of recommendation schemes. Its stores are peppered with tags which boast “we highly recommend” or “we love this book” with mini-reviews.

Borders also charges fees for a range of recommendation schemes including “fiction buyer’s favourite” and the “new in” range. However, in both Waterstone’s and Borders local “staff picks” are not thought to be paid for.

One publisher claimed yesterday that he had books “recommended” and positively reviewed in marketing literature by bookshops before the books had even been read.

A spokeswoman for WH Smith confirmed last week that publishers paid for endorsements. “The publishers present their books to us and we present our packages,” she said. “The purpose is to drive sales for customers. We negotiate who takes the places in the adult gold scheme which is over- subscribed. This is standard across the book industry.”

A spokeswoman for Waterstone’s, which also charges fees for inclusion in its “three-for-two” deals and to be named as “book of the month”, said: “Publishers come to us with books they think are worthy of book of the week or book of the month. Our buying team then select the titles from those put forward. I can’t give you details of the costs.”

Yesterday shoppers in central London expressed surprise over the schemes. Jennifer Hewitt, a 54-year-old civil servant, said: “I’m shocked. That information should be disclosed to readers. You trust bookshops but now they seem to be behaving like supermarkets.”

Last week leading publishers confirmed that over the past few years they had quietly built up multi-million-pound warchests to pay the bookshops. Their disquiet has emerged in evidence submitted to competition authorities.

The Publishers Association, a trade body, said that 70% of promotional budgets were now spent on the so-called “below-the-line” schemes operated by bookshops rather than the more traditional advertising and posters.

The chief executive of one medium-sized publisher said: “You have to pay heavily and you pay for visibility and better positions in the stores. But we’ve got to play by the rules because we need them. The stores say that they’re doing you a favour if they offer you these slots.”

Another medium-sized publisher, Profile Books, which publishes titles by Alan Bennett and Lynne Truss, said that it was “suicidal” to turn down the bookshops’ demands for recommendation fees.

Its bestselling book Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Truss was initially ignored by the leading bookshop chains and was offered promotional paid-for slots only after selling well in smaller stores.

Stephen Brough, a director of Profile Books, said: “We, the small independent publishers, simply do not have access to the resources to fund the marketing budgets, and it is therefore even less likely that we will have our books promoted and sold.”
p.s. How did you enjoy yesterday morning? My youngest came up to the library to say hello but was too shy to introduce himself.

Last edited by teabag; 03-07-2007 at 15:04.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:14   #217
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Farnborough was nice, pity your son didn't say hello!

I don't really see what the fuss is over payments for display. If you wanted a supermarket to stock your washing powder, or you were a farmer selling them fruit you'd have to buy shelfspace, pay a marketing fee or offer free produce for buy one get one frees etc.

I think the only difference is that people tend to imagine that the book trade is some sort of antiquated and noble trade. The reality is that it's a business with the same practices as music, DVDs or any other branch of the entertainment industry.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:25   #218
teabag
Green eyes

I don't see any problems with 'pay for display' or other promotions, only in the use of lists that try to imply a book is good quality based on independent review when clearly it is not. That's why I now generally pick books based on reviews in the papers or personal recommendations rather than some 'bestseller' list. There have been cases of books being listed as bestsellers when only 80 copies have been sold!
Good books often sell well because of word of mouth rather than promotions anyway.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:46   #219
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Yeah, the first CHERUB book only got into one Ottakars promotion. The second got into none whatsoever.

It was only when Maximum Security came out that things picked up. Now they get into promotions in all the stores. The Fall was Waterstone's teenage book of the month and WHS had cardboard bins of my books in quite a few shops.

If I was a new author or a small publisher I'd be far more worried about the Waterstones/Ottakars merger than anything else. Ottakars got behind CHERUB from the start and pushed the books in quite a big way, Waterstones are great now, but their buyers weren't so keen early on.

Nowdays, you've got to get Waterstones on your side from the start or you're going to have a very hard time building an audience. Smiths and the supermarkets are also important, but the number of titles they take by new authors is tiny comparred to a speciallist like Waterstones.
Old 03-07-2007, 23:07   #220
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

You are getting around the schools route mate. Visited City of London School for Boys today and there you were in pride of place in the library. I'm not your stalker btw How often are you out and about in schools and how well does it help with the book sales?
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote