Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 17-10-2005, 14:52   #141
Guest 24292
My mind is scrambled!

Cool, gotta order them soon.

BTW, like you, lack of subtitles was deal breaker on old releases.
Guest 24292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 22:05   #142
Guest 48118
Trusted User

I recently got the first 5 Volumes of the new Farscape Starburst Editions and having checked all discs/sides on my computer I only found one disc that wouldnt read correctly.
The strange thing is though, on my computer the episode would freeze up and the program would crash but when I tried playing the same episode back on my dvd player it didnt even break up, it played normally like there was nothing wrong, any idea why this is? as if there was a big enough problem with the disc that it crashed on my computer, why not even picture breakup on my dvd player?
Guest 48118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 00:20   #143
Scottola
Plok!tastic

I'm quite intrigued in getting these Starburst Editions as I do love Farscape. I've go the complete boxsets for 1 and 2, so I'd have to sell those.

Is there a recommended place to get the Starburst Editions from?
Scottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 05:37   #144
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottola
Is there a recommended place to get the Starburst Editions from?
There certainly was, I got the first five from DVD Soon, but now I'd guess the best place to get them is DVD Pacific.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 08:45   #145
welshmatt
Rusted User

DVDsoon were selling them for less than £7 a go, now dvdpacific are the next cheapest but about £3 more!

And they have had trouble getting more stock of Starburst 2.3, but hopefully will have some in in a few days.
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 08:57   #146
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Try Amazon Marketplace for some good prices.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 22:10   #147
Scottola
Plok!tastic

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll have a look at Amazon Marketplace and Dvdpacific.

I'm a sucker for the commentaries, I found them really interesting.
Scottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 08:55   #148
Guest 10392
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79
First there were the single disc R1 ADV releases with 2 eps a disc and poor picture quality and some unique extras (commentaries, etc).

Then there were the R2 double disc boxsets with better pic quality but little extras (deleted scenes, interviews only).
Incorrect. The R2 double disc sets came out first, the ADV releases came out the following year.

I just had a look at the details of the Season 2 Starburst releases and I don't see anything new compared to the R2 complete boxsets.

Last edited by Medion; 28-10-2005 at 09:04.
Guest 10392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 12:31   #149
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion
I just had a look at the details of the Season 2 Starburst releases and I don't see anything new compared to the R2 complete boxsets.
Hmmm couple of dead links to reviews in that first post I see.....

Just looking at the back cover of 2.1 I can see these new features:

Farscape In The Raw - scenes from never-before-released director's cuts of every episode in this collection
NEW Audio Commentary for The Way We Weren't with Ben Browder & Claudia Black
"Listening In" with composer Guy Gross: The Way We Weren't
....and lots of new text based info provided by the show's creators.

And on 2.2:

"Building Zahn" - an in-depth 30min+ interview with Virginia Hey
Farscape In The Raw - "The Flax" & "Through The Looking Glass" scenes from never-before-released director's cuts of these episodes from Season 1
"Listening In" with composer Guy Gross: My Three Crichtons
Season 2 bloopers

From the press release for 2.3 (which I don't have yet):

Extras on the set include commentary for "Won't Get Fooled Again" by Writer Richard Manning and Director Rowan Woods; new commetary on "The Locket" with Ben Browder and Claudia Black; new commentary for "Die Me, Dichotomy with Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Writer David Kemper; Listening In with composer Guy Gross discussing his scores for "The Locket" and "Die Me, Dichotomy"; Deleted Scenes; The Farscape Chronicles; Alien Encounters; Cool Farscape facts; Farspeak: Swear Words and Terms of the Uncharted Territories; Character and Actor Biographies; Production Design Gallery.

......oh and then there's the substantial price diff of course

Starburst 3.1 -

Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.1 (SRP $24.98 DVD) is a DVD-only release including the first seven episodes of the third season and extensive special features on four DVDs, with audio presented in English 5.1 and stereo. Episodes in this collection: “Season of Death,” “Suns and Lovers,” “Self-Inflicted Wounds, Part I: Could’a, Would’a, Should’a,” “Self-Inflicted Wounds, Part II: Wait For the Wheel,” “Different Destinations,” “Eat Me,” and “Thanks For Sharing.” Each episode is subtitled for the hearing impaired.

Farscape Starburst Edition 3.1 is loaded with extensive extras fans will love. In fact, the fourth disc is exclusively devoted to extras! First off is a much-anticipated interview with actress Virginia Hey, who portrayed the beloved blue priestess Zhaan. In this intimate interview – filmed exclusively for this collection – Hey discusses her departure from the series. The collection also includes two more behind the scenes interviews – one with Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun), the other with Anthony Simcoe (Ka D’Argo). Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.1 celebrates the fantastic music of Farscape with three exciting extras featuring award-winning composer Guy Gross. There is an interview with Gross about the new Season 3 theme music, plus an insightful interview and full-length audio commentary about his score for the terrifying episode “Eat Me.” Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun) supplies an additional commentary for the heart-wrenching “Self-Inflicted Wounds, Part II: Wait For the Wheel.” Rounding out this packed collection are deleted scenes, the original Farscape TV promos, a special Season 3 promo created for the Television Critics Association, “Cool Farscape Facts” by Paul Simpson (author of Farscape: The Illustrated Companion), “Alien Encounters,” an extensive production design gallery, updated character histories, and previews of other coming attractions from ADV Films. Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.1 is the definitive edition of this amazing sci-fi series for new and established fans alike!
GPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 13:41   #150
Guest 48118
Trusted User

Anyone who still has the R2 Volume releases but is thinking about upgrading to the Starburst releases, you can get a good price for your R2 sets on eBay.
Only yesterday I sold my 5x Season 1 Volumes for £40 and my 5x Season 2 Volumes for £38.99 and considering I bought the Season 1 and 2 Starburst Editions for just under £55 I have made £20+ profit.
Old 28-10-2005, 17:41   #151
Scottola
Plok!tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones00
Anyone who still has the R2 Volume releases but is thinking about upgrading to the Starburst releases, you can get a good price for your R2 sets on eBay.
Only yesterday I sold my 5x Season 1 Volumes for £40 and my 5x Season 2 Volumes for £38.99 and considering I bought the Season 1 and 2 Starburst Editions for just under £55 I have made £20+ profit.
Whereabouts did you buy your Starbursts from IndianaJones00?
Old 29-10-2005, 10:13   #152
Guest 48118
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottola
Whereabouts did you buy your Starbursts from IndianaJones00?
I think I got lucky as I bought the first 3 volumes off eBay for £30 and then the seller offered me the first 2 volumes of Season 2 for an extra £8.50 so I snapped them up.
Old 29-10-2005, 11:00   #153
Walrus Man
Trusted User

All 7 volumes are available to order/pre-order on Pacific for $14.57 each.
I guess that should be around a tenner with shipping.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 20:05   #154
GPR79

Starburst 3.2 Release Info -

DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
The middle eight episodes of Farscape's third season on four discs: Green Eyed Monster, Losing Time, Relativity, Incubator, Meltdown, Scratch 'N' Sniff, Infinite Possibilities Part I: Daedalus Demands, and Infinite Possibilities Part II: Icarus Abides
Commentary by actor-writer Ben Browder and director Tony Tilse on Green Eyed Monster
Commentary by Lani Tupu (Captain Crais & the voice of Pilot) and director Peter Andrikidis on Relativity
Four cast interviews: Ben Browder (Crichton), Wayne Pygram (Scorpius), Gigi Edgley (Chiana), Paul Goddard (Stark)
Deleted scenes
The original Farscape TV promos
Cool Farscape Facts by Paul Simpson (author of Farscape: The Illustrated Companion)
Extensive production design gallery
Updated character histories
Old 20-03-2006, 20:06   #155
GPR79

Starburst 3.3 Release Info -
Quote:
FARSCAPE STARBURST EDITION 3.3

Ninth Volume in the Popular Starburst Series

ADV Films is pleased to announce the ninth installment of its wildly successful Farscape: Starburst Edition series, with an expanded and updated volume that takes us through to the season finale of the third season in the classic sci-fi series. Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.3 will be available everywhere DVDs are sold on April 11.

Farscape is an adventure as broad and weird as the universe – full of strange creatures, bizarre twists, irreverent humor, raucous action, passion, and romance! Produced in Australia by The Jim Henson Company and Hallmark Entertainment, Farscape has been called “The Best Sci-Fi on TV,” by TV Guide, and hailed as “TV’s Best Space Series” by USA Today. Farscape also received the Saturn Award for Best Syndicated/Cable Series three years in a row (2001, 2002, 2003).

Synopsis: Who is John Crichton? An astronaut. Good-looking, all-American, nice guy… lost somewhere in a crazy universe. A hero… who’s been probed, prodded, framed, frozen, and frelled by alien life forms more bizarre than anything in Captain Kirk’s wildest dreams. Who is John Crichton (Ben Browder)? Did we mention he’s in love with a beautiful ex-commando named Aeryn (Claudia Black)? Did we mention he’s been cloned? Two Crichtons… so identical even he can’t tell who’s the original. One Crichton gets the girl of his… er… their dreams. The other gets left behind. One Crichton dies. The other goes toe-to-toe against death itself, in the form of a sadistic military leader searching for a secret that will forever alter the balance of power in the universe. It’s hidden deep in Crichton’s impenetrable human subconscious, where even he can’t find it. Toss in a dysfunctional crew of quarreling alien ex-cons onboard a bio-mechanoid ship with a neurotic Pilot and you’ve got a hint of the incredible Farscape universe. But only a hint.

Praised by TV Guide as one of the “25 Top Cult Shows Ever,” Farscape is an adventure as broad and weird as the universe – full of strange creatures, bizarre twists, irreverent humor, raucous action, passion, and romance! Produced in Australia with the incredible talents of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, Farscape is the fantasy-scifi-drama-romance-comedy-adventure you will always remember!

The dream series of every sci-fi fan continues with the release of Farscape: The Starburst Edition 3.3. (SRP $24.98 DVD). Farscape: The Starburst Edition 3.3. is a DVD-only release including the final seven episodes of Farscapes exciting third season, complemented by extensive special features on four DVDs. Episodes in this collection: “Revenging Angel,” “The Choice,” “Fractures,” “I-Yensch, You-Yensch,” “Into The Lion’s Den, Part I: Lambs To The Slaughter,” “Into The Lion’s Den, Part II: Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing” and “Dog With Two Bones.” Audio is presented in English 5.1 and stereo. Each episode is subtitled for the hearing impaired.

With almost six hours of the three-time Saturn Award-winning Farscape, this collection is one of the hottest entertainment bargains anywhere!

Farscape: The Starburst Edition 3.3 is loaded with all the extensive, behind-the-scenes special features sci-fi fans want. In fact, the fourth disc is exclusively devoted to extras! Join Executive Producer David Kemper for “Season 3: A Look Back.” There are two cast interviews – Claudia Black (Aeryn), Anthony Simcoe (D’Argo). Four full-length audio commentaries enhance this edition. Two Commentaries for “The Choice” with actress: Claudia Black (Aeryn) and the filmmakers: Director Rowan Woods and Writer Justin Monjo. The episode “Into The Lion’s Den, Part II: Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing” has a new commentary with Writer/Series Creator Rockne S. O’Bannon and Executive Producer David Kemper. The season finale “Dog With Two Bones” also has a new commentary featuring Ben Browder (Crichton) and Claudia Black (Aeryn). Rounding out this packed collection are deleted scenes, the original Farscape TV promos, “Cool Farscape Facts” by Paul Simpson (author of Farscape: The Illustrated Companion), “Alien Encounters,” an extensive production design gallery, updated character histories, and previews of other coming attractions from ADV Films. Farscape: Starburst Edition 3.3 is the definitive edition of this amazing sci-fi series for new and established fans alike!
Old 20-03-2006, 21:44   #156
Guest 48118
Trusted User

I have been putting off upgrading my Season 3 UK Volumes to the Starburst releases until they were all available but with 3.3 only afew weeks away now I have just ordered 3.1 and 3.2 from Amazon Marketplace for a total of £19.88 delivered which works out at £9.94 each which is a bargain
Old 21-03-2006, 18:25   #157
GPR79

I'm sooo pleased these Starburst releases have been released so regularly and haven't deteriorated in terms of new extras and quality, roll on series 4 and then a revamped Peacekeeper Wars set with any luck!
Old 22-03-2006, 09:57   #158
Guest 11651
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79
I'm sooo pleased these Starburst releases have been released so regularly and haven't deteriorated in terms of new extras and quality, roll on series 4 and then a revamped Peacekeeper Wars set with any luck!
The Peacekeeper Wars was released by Lionsgate, not ADV, in R1 so a re-release is unlikely. You're better off picking up the R2 UK if you want a good release of that.
Guest 11651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:52   #159
Richie
Trusted User

Has anyone got an opinion on which release has the overall better picture quality, the R2 complete season sets or the R1 Starburst releases?

Also does anyone know about the re-issue of the previously released double-sided Starburst volumes as 4 disc single sided releases?

Last edited by Richie; 12-04-2006 at 11:02.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:35   #160
Guest 48118
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Has anyone got an opinion on which release has the overall better picture quality, the R2 complete season sets or the R1 Starburst releases?

Also does anyone know about the re-issue of the previously released double-sided Starburst volumes as 4 disc single sided releases?
I originally bought the R2 UK Volume releases of Seasons 1-4 and have since replaced Seasons 1 & 2 with the Starburst Editions and overall I would say the quality is about the same if not slightly better on the R1 releases.

As for them re-releasing the first 6 Starburst Editions as 4x DVD9's I havent heard anything about this, just that from 3.1 onwards they would be 4x DVD9's instead of 2x DVD18's