Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-07-2003, 01:20   #1
bibmcfeck

Question Rambo and the BBC

I was intending to watch First Blood last Saturday as I've never watched any of the Rambo films (in fact i used to avoid them like the plague) but missed the start. I did however manage to tape Rambo II tonight so I might give it a go.

However it dawned on me today that these were being shown on BBC1 (I suspect Rambo III will follow next Saturday).

My question is: When did the Beeb lift their "ban" on showing the Rambo movies that they imposed after many of the tabloids placed the blame for the Hungerford tragedy squarely on the fact that either Rambo 1 or 2 had been screened not long before it happened?

Did they make any statement or did they just finally realise the futility of such a decision after 15 years?

Also can anyone familiar with the films state whether the Beeb's screenings have been cut at all? I'm told Rambo III is pretty violent so it may suffer the most
bibmcfeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 01:36   #2
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I believe at one stage Rambo III held a mention in the Guiness book of records, for the most violent acts in a movie....ever.

...or was it most f-words ? Can't remember.

It was bad though
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 08:14   #3
Guest 45
Trusted User

Re: Rambo and the BBC

Quote:
Originally posted by bibmcfeck
My question is: When did the Beeb lift their "ban" on showing the Rambo movies that they imposed after many of the tabloids placed the blame for the Hungerford tragedy squarely on the fact that either Rambo 1 or 2 had been screened not long before it happened?

Did they make any statement or did they just finally realise the futility of such a decision after 15 years?
I doubt very much any kind of formal "ban" was imposed - but I'm not surprised they didn't show the film in the late 1980s, at a time when the Thatcher government's attitude towards the BBC ran along similar lines to the Blair government's now: there wouldn't have been much point in giving them a hostage to fortune by screening a film that in any case was easily obtainable on video.

And I also doubt any formal announcement was made - what usually happens when a broadcaster decides to show a controversial film is that they just show it and deal with the fallout later (if there is any, and if there isn't, there's no problem).

Stating in advance that "we're going to show this incredibly controversial film that the tabloids think was responsible for at least one real-life massacre" is guaranteed to attract deeply unwanted and unnecessary attention from people who otherwise might not notice it was on, which is why it's not the BBC's style!
Guest 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 10:53   #4

The BBC didn't ban it... Channel 5 had the rights and have broadcast the film a few times. It's just that being on 5 you didn't notice.
Old 27-07-2003, 15:12   #5
bibmcfeck

Quote:
Originally posted by Arch Stanton
The BBC didn't ban it... Channel 5 had the rights and have broadcast the film a few times. It's just that being on 5 you didn't notice.
Don't C5 and the BBC hold the rights to a lot of films at the same time though? I can think of a few that they both seem to screen pretty close to each other (Face Off, Con Air, Braveheart...)

And I'm aware that the BBC never said they were "banning" it, but this is still as far as I'm aware the first time they have screened any of them since Hungerford. They may not have held the rights for a while but I doubt it
Old 27-07-2003, 15:27   #6
Guest 24708
Banned

>When did the Beeb lift their "ban" on showing the Rambo movies that they imposed after many of the tabloids placed the blame for the Hungerford tragedy squarely on the fact that either Rambo 1 or 2 had been screened not long before it happened?

I don't remember any official statement although they came close during the 80's. There was a bit of tabloid excitement one Xmas when 'First Blood' was scheduled during the Xmas period (it might have been the 'big' Boxing Day film, actually). I can't remember now whether they actually screened it or not but there was definitely some hand-wringing by the BBC afterwards. Anyway, as last night's showing indicates, it's all been forgotten now.
Guest 24708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2003, 15:31   #7
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

The most F's in a film went to Goodfellasat about 252, Rambo 3 was cut because of a few horses were hurt during the last few scenes infact one died.
Also the ammount of Knife time was cut and trimmed from all 3, the first about a few seconds, the third the most.
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2003, 11:32   #8
dean richardson
Trusted User

i think the record you remember is the number of kills in rambo 2,
i remember watching rambo 2 & commando as i had read somewhere that these 2 films were going for the most kills on screen record.
dean richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2003, 16:13   #9
bibmcfeck

Quote:
Originally posted by dean richardson
i think the record you remember is the number of kills in rambo 2,
i remember watching rambo 2 & commando as i had read somewhere that these 2 films were going for the most kills on screen record.
A bizarre record to try to achieve Shirley?

I don't think the film makers would have advertised the fact, even if they did try