Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 16-05-2003, 23:39   #61
earl_roberts2002

Thanks, I'll look that book up.
Has anybody read Janet Leigh's book on the making of Psycho? Is it better/worse?
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2003, 15:25   #62
Guest 10492
Trusted User

Just putting a quick message that I caught 'Hitchcock Blonde' at the Royal Court theatre last night in Sloane Square and thought it was excellent (although the ending was a bit confused). It closes on Saturday (West end transfer I think), but is well worth catching (if only for the impeccable impression of Hitchcock himself).
Guest 10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2003, 19:39   #63
Guest 45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by f_drew
Just putting a quick message that I caught 'Hitchcock Blonde' at the Royal Court theatre last night in Sloane Square and thought it was excellent (although the ending was a bit confused). It closes on Saturday (West end transfer I think), but is well worth catching (if only for the impeccable impression of Hitchcock himself).
Tippi Hedren saw it recently, and commended William Hootkins - she said his performance was uncannily accurate.
Guest 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 11:52   #64
Guest 243
XBL: Wolfgang Winkle

I watched Rope the other night (r2) ... having seen a bit of it a few years back I'm pleased to have finally got round to seeing the whole film (although I acknowledge I won't have actually seen the whole film if its pan and scan ). You can definitely see the play in the movie ... with the action almost entirely centred on one room. Still, it never came across as being confined. There were some very tense bits in it too, which were accentuated by Hitchcock's direction. All in all, if you've not seen it I would recommend giving it a look.
Guest 243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 14:41   #65
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Well (starts blowing his own trumpet), now you can check here:

http://daveyp.dns2go.com/hitchcock/films/rope.html

Everyone who offered to help out with setting up a web site for comparing all the Hitchcock DVD's, get ready because Yonathan and myself will start taking you up on your offers for help real soon!

I've got a (hopefully) complete list of Hitchcock films here:

http://daveyp.dns2go.com/hitchcock/

...and I've added details of all my DVD's, along with all the others that I could find details for. The look & feel of the site is still pretty rough at the moment because we're concentrating on the content. Once we've finished mucking about with the content and made it look pretty, Yonathan will probably be hosting the site on his web space.

I'd be really grateful if you could check to see if you have any DVD's that aren't in the database, and also to check to see if the details match up with DVD's that you do have. Some of the DVD's in there only have sketchy details at the moment, while others have loads of details.

If you fancy starting right away, then we've got a text file here that you can download, fill in and then email back to us. If you've just a little bit of extra info, or you've spotted a mistake, then feel free to let us know via email.

Once we've got a full database, we'll be able to come up with simple comparisons between the various releases of each film.

Also, we're wanting people to submit their own scores and reviews - either of the film itself, or of a particular Hitchcock DVD. If you fancy doing a review, then feel free to start right away! Don't forget if you're reviewing a DVD, please make sure you cover the standard things (image quality, audio quality, extras, etc)

Cheers!
Guest 18933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 17:05   #66
Budge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by sideshowbob
I watched Rope the other night (r2) ... having seen a bit of it a few years back I'm pleased to have finally got round to seeing the whole film (although I acknowledge I won't have actually seen the whole film if its pan and scan ). You can definitely see the play in the movie ... with the action almost entirely centred on one room. Still, it never came across as being confined. There were some very tense bits in it too, which were accentuated by Hitchcock's direction. All in all, if you've not seen it I would recommend giving it a look.
I wholeheartedly agree. Rope (and Dial M for murder) both, in my opinion, get unfair criticism for their obvious origins in the theatre.
The fact that both films are based almost completely in one room just makes the suspense even greater, and both films are now Hitchcock favourites of mine.

P.S: Was Dial M ever released theatrically in 3d-o-vision (or whatever it was called!), and has anyone seen it?
Budge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 17:13   #67
Guest 18933
Trusted User

According to IMDB:

Quote:
Filmed in 3D, which explains the prevalence of low-angle shots with lamps and other objects between us and the cast members. There was only a brief original release in 3D, followed by a conventional, "flat" release; the 3D version was reissued in 1980.
...I love the fact that the finger and telephone dial at the beginning of the film were in fact huge props
Old 21-05-2003, 23:06   #68
MartinC
Trusted User

Shadow of a Doubt is now out on R2 but not listed, as per http://www.playserver2.com/play247.a...R2&title=93027

the site isn't bad at all... pretty good for a first go.

Last edited by MartinC; 21-05-2003 at 23:08.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 23:43   #69
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by tips4tnt

I'd be really grateful if you could check to see if you have any DVD's that aren't in the database
I don't have it myself but there's a German DVD of Blackmail available that includes both the silent and sound version. As an extra it has a screentest of Anny Ondra.
Jamaica Inn is also available on R2 in Germany.

Not a Hitchcock movie but also available on DVD on R1:
A Talk With Hitchcock (50 minute interview filmed on the set of Marnie)
There's also four discs available on R1 of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" with all the episodes he directed himself. Note, the discs can only be bought if you buy the four R1 Universal boxsets.
In Japan, two 2-disc sets with "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episodes have recently been released. No idea which episodes are on the sets. Two more 2-disc sets will be released at the end of June.
Guest 1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 09:26   #70
Guest 993
Trusted User

I've got a bunch of R4s that I can fill in details for, and many others (several Criterions). I'll check the site out when I get home and compare with my collection.

Don't forget the other "Hitch" thread with region comparions...

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=104603

Quite a bit of info in there.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 17:01   #71
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Ta v much everyone!

I added a few more discs at work, along with quite a few web links, but forgot to bring the additions home to add to the site (d'oh!). I've also changed the scripting so that it also generates a single page for each film with all the releases, which makes it a bit easier to compare the DVD's.

HitchFan - that sounds like the Sound Test for Blackmail that I spotted on the IMDB, but didn't add to the list. I decided not to include the Alfred Hitchcock Present's stuff for a couple of reasons - a) there are so many episodes and b) Hitch only directed a handful of them. Maybe once all the film DVD's are present and correct, we could include the episodes?

MartinC - can't remember if I added that today or not, but thanks for the heads up!

DeadKenny - quite a few of mine were bought from Aus, some of them were marked as R4 only, and others were R2/R4. As far as I could tell, there were all exactly the same as the previous bunch of R2 releases (the ones before the latest two tone covers).

Does anyone know if there are any R3, R5 or R6 releases? I had a quick look around but couldn't spot any.
Old 22-05-2003, 17:55   #72
Guest 9043
Green Trader

as tips4tnt said, thanks people for contriuting, I for one am really excited about having this site launched as a sort of "deifniteive hitchcock on dvd" site.... it should be pretty cool and even if it takes some time to completely fill it all in, we can do it eventually
Guest 9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 19:50   #73

Quote:
Originally posted by Yonathan Gal
tips4tnt.... I have www.the900thdimension.com which aint been update din months etc, but we could host it there and eventually i;ll get round to re doing the site all film orientated etc... u wanna do this together? email me!
I have plenty of webspace on my PIPEX account. I dont use any of it, so I'm happy to host it for you

Great thread by the way!! Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do on all the Hitchcock films I havent seen yet.
Old 22-05-2003, 22:04   #74
Guest 9043
Green Trader

zaheerm, thanks but we are gonna stick with the 900th, it's a great opportunity to revive the site. thanks anyway, but I'd really like to use the900th's for this
Guest 9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 23:36   #75
earl_roberts2002

Could you add a poll to the site so people could vote for their best Hitch film?
PLEASE???
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003, 06:22   #76
Guest 18933
Trusted User

earl_roberts2002 - definitely I was thinking of have one poll for the best film and another for the best DVD.
Old 23-05-2003, 06:25   #77

Quote:
earl_roberts2002 - definitely I was thinking of have one poll for the best film and another for the best DVD.

Spot on
Old 23-05-2003, 09:17   #78
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some confirmation about the following DVDs:

Could anyone with the R2 "Shadow of a Doubt" confirm that it's exactly the same as the R4 version?

Could anyone with the R2 "North by Northwest" confirm that it has the same extras as the R1 version?

Can anyone with the latest R2 release of Vertigo (the one with the two colour cover) confirm that it has the same extras and specs as the previous R2 release?

Can anyone with the R2 release of To Catch a Thief confirm what the extras are? (they might be the same as the region 4 release)

Finally, can anyone with either of the Universal R2 releases of The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) confirm that the extras are the same as the region 4 release?

Ta very much!!!!
Old 23-05-2003, 11:32   #79
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Could anyone with the R2 "North by Northwest" confirm that it has the same extras as the R1 version?
I don't have the R1, but I do have the R4 and I believe the R2 is the same as the R4 (except R4 has a nice Amaray case ).

As far as I know, the R1 has the bonus of the extra Hitchcock trailer.

Some say the trailer alone is worth it for the R1, but I'd say that I'd probably only watch the trailer once and I'd rather have a PAL version with an Amaray case instead.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003, 11:51   #80
MartinC
Trusted User

tips4nt, I notice the man who knew too much 1930s version is listed as not available..

its available on r1 through various firms & r2 through carlton

see http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu...manknew34.html

Last edited by MartinC; 23-05-2003 at 11:52.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote