Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 21-09-2005, 11:59   #381
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

The full making-of "Psycho" is available on R2 already in the Psycho Collection boxset so I imagine it will also be on any future release.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 12:25   #382
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow
Somewhere customs-friendly...
Does anyone have any recommendations? I usually use DVD Pacific, but recently most of my £17+ orders have been delayed by Mount Pleasant.

I don't mind paying the import charge, but for the "Masterpiece" box set I'm keen to get it as soon as possible after the release date and would prefer it not to held up.
Guest 18933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 19:24   #383
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Region 2 news on Psycho SE/The Hitchcock Collection at DVD Times. It could, of course, be as good as the R1 'Masterpiece' set in terms of quality (but like DaveP I doubt it); but why do R2 releases sound so much duller than their R1 counterparts?

I don't quite know what to do about this set; I own quite a few of the titles already, so although a purchase is likely, I'm not diving in until I see some reviews. And nowhere - especially nowhere that isn't going to get busted by customs - is especially cheap (though I'm quite aware it represents decent VFM as it stands). If I really, really trusted Deep Discount DVD - and my dealings with them haven't been happy - I'd wait for their 20% off sale...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 07:18   #384
Guest 18933
Trusted User

The only thing the press release seems to clear up is that the edited versions of "Masters of Cinema" and "AFI Salute" (with up to 56 minutes of the original broadcast footage removed!) are destined for the Psycho DVD.

It doesn't even confirm that a) the excellent "Making of Psycho" will also be an extra, and b) a better transfer will be used. The two previous transfers that have graced R2 DVDs have both been inferior to the non-anamorphic widescreen R1 DVD released six years ago.

Both "Topaz" and "Suspicion" are absent from the list of titles - is this an error in the press release or do Universal UK no longer have the rights? The latter might be true for "Suspicion" as Sony are releasing a DVD in Italy this month.

"The Hitchcock Collection" again raises more questions - why only 14 titles from the 17 that Universal have previously released in the UK? Are those 14 the same as the ones that appear in the US "Masterpiece Collection"? If so, will they have the new transfers? Will the bonus 15th disc contain the same extras?

Finally, why no mention of "Hitchcock Presents" when we know that the season 1 episodes are being submitted for classification with the BBFC? In fact, the BBFC seems to be a better source of information that Universal at the moment

Come on Universal - give us a decent press release with proper information!!!
Old 22-09-2005, 11:34   #385
smithy20
Trusted User

Details HAVE been released for the region 2 "presents" collection see here ( scroll down a little ) http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/news/news.asp?Section=3

smithy20
smithy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 18:19   #386
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Cheers for that Smithy20!

Yikes - the UK RRP for Hitchcock Presents is almost double the US price!
Old 22-09-2005, 18:42   #387
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips4tnt
Does anyone have any recommendations? I usually use DVD Pacific, but recently most of my £17+ orders have been delayed by Mount Pleasant.

I don't mind paying the import charge, but for the "Masterpiece" box set I'm keen to get it as soon as possible after the release date and would prefer it not to held up.
It's £64.99 delivered at www.axelmusic.com - seems quite expensive, but no chance of customs, and they are an excellent company

Last edited by LouBarlow; 22-09-2005 at 18:43.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 19:05   #388
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Masterpiece Collection is £57.99 @ Loaded247.com

Customs safe I believe.

Very tempted myself but I have all of the films already - a mixture of R1 & R2 releases. I would like the R1 of Vertigo as I believe it's a better transfer than the R2 that I have, plus a good anamorphic print of Psycho would be great. The Birds could do with remastering too IMHO.

I'm going to hold back until I read some reviews to see if these are all new transfers and if they do improve on the versions I already own.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 06:58   #389
new
Sand Dab

That will do for me, good spot CrazyHorse

I sold all my region 1's as soon as there was a whiff of this set during the summer for more than this costs, so Im still quids in

EDIT - these are all new transfers as well m8.

Go on double dip, you know you want too

Last edited by new; 23-09-2005 at 06:59.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 13:25   #390
Guest 41062
Trusted User

As I don't own any of the DVDs (only Vertigo, Psycho and Rear Window VHS) I went and ordered the box set from Loaded247. Thanks, Crazyhorse. That's a fantastic price, and having used them before I can trust them. The only thing is, they get their stuff from Canada, so if it turns out that the Canadian set lacks something the US one did, like the booklet (as was the case with my previous order, West Wing Season 4), we'll be stuck with the booklet-less ones.
Guest 41062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 02:05   #391
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Well, I've got it, and am beginning to take a test run. So far, I'll only say that visually the couple that I've checked so far I would have to classify as disappointing, which I'll explain when I've gone through a few more.

The best news, which I'll impart right now so that John can go post it at the HTF and teach those ninnies not to start crying until they actually know the story - Vertigo has its mono track. When you hear the sound efx for the opening, I think you will be rather astonished at the really awful job that was done in creating the 5.1 track.

Last edited by haineshisway; 25-09-2005 at 02:06.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 02:19   #392
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Good news about the mono track on Vertigo.

Really interested to hear your views on the set and the new transfers as I'm still undecided if I should buy this or not - your "disappointing" comment sounds ominous!

The big three that may influence a purchase for me are Vertigo, Psycho & The Birds - how do the new transfers compare to the original discs?
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 08:30   #393
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
The best news, which I'll impart right now so that John can go post it at the HTF and teach those ninnies not to start crying until they actually know the story...
It's what they do best; I'm not going to be the bearer of the news, however. I'll let someone who actually owns the set do that. I'm still on the fence, although, I'll be off it no doubt, once you post a little more here...
Old 25-09-2005, 09:25   #394
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Why wouldn't you be the bearer of the mono news. Doesn't hurt to post it so they know, no?

In any case, before I drag my weary bones off to bed, here is one person's opinion after a cursory glance at both old and new releases. I have no agendas, I don't care about Universal one way or another, and I don't make pronouncements. I will be interested to see what Mr. Harris' few words will be - since he raved about Mockingbird and The Sting, both less-than-stellar transfers, I'll be ever so curious how he feels about Vertigo and Psycho. So, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Starting with Vertigo and Psycho. Great to finally have them enhanced for widescreen TVs. Both are disappointments. They are both better than the non-anamorphic versions. Vertigo is a bit brighter, a good thing, as it was too dark before. The best news for Vertigo lovers is the inclusion of the original mono track. Want to hear how truly wrong-headed the remix is - just compare them. It will shock you. The bad news is that the Vertigo colors still are on the brownish side and do not represent in any way, shape, or form what the 35mm IB Tech prints of this film looked like (I know this intimately - I had one). It's also not sharp enough. Psycho is excessively grainy, as if they used whatever they used for the previous transfer to create this new one, rather than going from the negative. It's not a disaster, but it's nowhere near what it should be.

The good news: Topaz, Torn Curtain, The Trouble With Harry, Marnie and The Birds are all improved, at least to my eyes. Torn Curtain's color is much truer, it's much sharper and I couldn't be more pleased. Topaz seems sharper, brighter, and with slightly better colors. The Trouble With Harry looks sharper and the color seems a bit more saturated, as it should be. The Birds seems quite an improvement - the old DVD was dark and muddy-looking, this one is brighter, sharper, and has better color, and it seems to have been cleaned up the most (especially during the Main Titles). Marnie also looks sharper and has better color.

The Man Who Knew Too Much: The good - the Paramount and VistaVision logos have finally been restored to the head of the film. The transfer is a bit brighter. The bad - there's something wrong with the transfer and I can't put my finger on what it is. It's some sort of weirdness, which is very apparent in the restaurant scene in the first third of the film. The transfer is not quite as sharp as the previous DVD, even though I prefer the slightly brighter image on the new disc. Disappointing.

Rope seems to be the same transfer, or very similar.

Rear Window seems slightly improved, a bit sharper. However, I really did not like the "restoration" on the film and it could look a lot better with some crack telecine work done on it. The colors are simply not what they were in IB Tech and the whole thing has no life to it. A shame Lowry didn't work on these.

That's what I've looked at thus far - still to come, Frenzy, Family Plot, Saboteur, and Shadow of a Doubt.

Packaging is very nice indeed.

Menus and chapter stops are exactly the same as the old set. Extras appear to be exactly the same. Haven't looked at the extra disc yet.

So, the decision to upgrade will be purely based on whether one needs the improvements, such as they are, or not. I'm happy to have the new set, but will be keeping the old The Man Who Knew Too Much just to have it. Much easier to store, and I'm really happy to have Torn Curtain and The Birds looking better.

I do wish that Universal had gone the extra mile with this set - they didn't. I do feel it's better than the previous release, but it could have been majorly better with some bucks and some TLC from a company like Lowry.
Old 25-09-2005, 09:37   #395
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Puzzled why you can't haul your weary bones over there and post the news yourself; however, let's at least drag some of them over here to this forum shall we?

EDIT; informative (and possibly amusing), to see how the news is received starting from this page...

Last edited by John Hodson; 25-09-2005 at 16:36.
Old 25-09-2005, 10:47   #396
Guest 2575
Trusted User

Thanks haineshisway, i wouldn't be too bothered about most of those improvements so you've saved me some cash. Ta.
Guest 2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 10:50   #397
Guest 29917
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
The best news, which I'll impart right now so that John can go post it at the HTF and teach those ninnies not to start crying until they actually know the story - Vertigo has its mono track.

Excellent! Good enough for me, I couldn't stand watching the film with that remix.

Last edited by Quinnsey; 07-04-2013 at 08:19.
Guest 29917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 13:23   #398
Guest 1472
Trusted User

I have all the old releases but will upgrade. Vertigo with mono track and an anamorphic Psycho; I can't resist that.

Quote:
a company like Lowry.
Universal seems to have used Cinesite for digital restoration. At least they have done restoration work on a number of Universal titles over the past 5 years. And I liked what Cinesite did with The Sting, so ... .
Guest 1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 13:34   #399
Step away from the console
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips4tnt
Just to change the subject - did Hitchcock make a second cameo in North by Northwest dressed as a woman?

http://www.daveyp.com/hitchcock/misc/hitchnbnw.html

Kudos to Nextren to noticing it!

I'm up to 70% convinced it's Hitch - what does everyone else think?
For those with the R2 DVD, the scene is near the end of chapter 16, after the train leaves the station. Hitch made many cameos where you could not identify him with certainty, were it not for the fact that you expect him, e.g. Suspicion, Rope, Under Capricorn, I Confess, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), Psycho.

It is possible for an elderly lady to have those hands and feet. The face shape, eyes, forehead, lips, chin, jowls and neck look appropriately Hitchcockian to me and the earrings look as if they could be hanging from the director's large lobes. The facial expressions are the clincher. I'm almost certain it is him, making this a startling discovery after 46 years! I look forward to higher resolution images and would love to know what his daughter or anyone who was on the set has to say.
Step away from the console is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 16:54   #400
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I used to post at the HTF a long time ago, but got weary of Ronald and the boys always threatening because I had an opinion and I occasionally had the temerity to express it (especially regarding certain studios and certain individuals who work there). I got tired of it one fine day and I took Ronald on and that was that.

The responses are most amusing, especially the one that seems to imply I'm watching a region 2 set. I am, of course, watching a region 1 set. Someone asked if each film was in its own slipcase - no, there are four DVDs to a case - you know, two on each side overlapping. Not my favorite sort of case. They also seem to think that Psycho should look grainy because that makes it film-like. Not THIS grainy, baby. Again, I owned a 35mm print of the film and it didn't look nearly as grainy as this DVD does. It had grain, of course, but it was normal grain. This looks just a few too many generations away from the camera neg. I'm sure if Mr. Harris pronounces it perfection they'll all agree and be happy with it. And if he pronounces Vertigo perfection (he won't - he didn't have anything to do with it and I'm sure that rankles him just a wee bit) I'll send over a therapist to his home.

I'm just baffled by The Man Who Knew Too Much - some of it is fine and looks as good as the other DVD, and, as I said, is a bit brighter, but some of it has a problem, almost as if the image is phasing somehow. Don't know what it is, but it's weird. Great to have the Par logo back, though.

Last edited by haineshisway; 25-09-2005 at 16:55.