Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 21:34   #1
Summerisle
Trusted User

WarGames (Broderick) coming to BD in August

Fox/MGM in the U.S. have set John Badham's WarGames, with Matthew Broderick, for release on Blu-ray on August 21st

Last edited by Summerisle; 12-06-2012 at 21:37.
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 10:46   #2
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco It is just not worth it

Wargames was never a big budget blockbuster with big fx so the added detail of Blue Ray will add nothing, Nor do I think there will be many extra features so as I have this brilliant film on DVD I really doubt I'll spend my money on this one, again.
Old 14-06-2012, 19:27   #3
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

What now? It'll be great to see all those old computers and the missile command NORAD whatever it was place in HD.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 23:57   #4
nwgarratt
Trusted User

MY DVD is non anamorphic so that makes it worth it.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 00:17   #5
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roborob View Post
Wargames was never a big budget blockbuster with big fx so the added detail of Blue Ray will add nothing
Oh for ***** sake.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 01:52   #6
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Wargames was never a big budget blockbuster with big fx so the added detail of Blue Ray will add nothing, Nor do I think there will be many extra features so as I have this brilliant film on DVD I really doubt I'll spend my money on this one, again.
That's a ******* weird post!
You think it's a "brilliant" film yet you don't want it in the best quality and highest resolution possible? You're either being an idiot or a **** stirrer.
A film doesn't need "big fx" or be a "big budget blockbuster" to benefit from an HD presentation. It's that kind of attitude (from supposed film fans nevermind Joe Bloggs) that leads studios to NOT release their back catalogue titles on BD in the UK.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:16   #7
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco The Blue ray will add nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
That's a ******* weird post!
You think it's a "brilliant" film yet you don't want it in the best quality and highest resolution possible? You're either being an idiot or a **** stirrer.
A film doesn't need "big fx" or be a "big budget blockbuster" to benefit from an HD presentation. It's that kind of attitude (from supposed film fans nevermind Joe Bloggs) that leads studios to NOT release their back catalogue titles on BD in the UK.
I realy hope some of you have not been conned into thinking Blue ray adds to all pictures, Some like Wargames are limited by the film they were shot in and so improvement may not be automatically possible. So to automatically assume that mearly converting to blue ray wil add quality is missplaced.

Mind you if you really wanted quality pictures you would not have a flat screen rather a old fashioned Tube TV which had better pictures than even blue rays. But not the connections of coolnesss.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:21   #8
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

Quote:
Mind you if you really wanted quality pictures you would not have a flat screen rather a old fashioned Tube TV which had better pictures than even blue rays. But not the connections of coolnesss.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:37   #9
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Oh dear oh dear, Roborob! You're okay cutting and pasting wikipages but you do tend to fall apart on original sentences, don't you.

Keep trying though - you never fail to entertain.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 15:25   #10
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
I realy hope some of you have not been conned into thinking Blue ray adds to all pictures, Some like Wargames are limited by the film they were shot in and so improvement may not be automatically possible. So to automatically assume that mearly converting to blue ray wil add quality is missplaced.

I can't with you.
Old 22-06-2012, 13:57   #11
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Holy crap!
Old 22-06-2012, 14:41   #12
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I saw wargames in HD the other day. The last 30mins in the war-room benefited greatly from a HD presentation. All the displays where pin sharp and clear (and it was in tact with it's over dramatic epileptic inducing flashing )
Old 22-06-2012, 15:04   #13
Just Passing Through
Trusted User

Quote:

Y'know. Oddly enough, this one I kind of agree with.

Not that we should be watching 20 year old CRTs instead of modern energy efficient large, flat panel displays, but that I wish that they had continued CRT technology into the HD age. They may weigh a ton, but no one ever asked how black the blacks were on a CRT, or worried about input lag or refresh rates. 50Hz or 100Hz, they all looked good for the purpose they were meant for, and by the end of the CRT cycle, image quality was pretty good across the board.

I cannot afford a flat panel good enough to match a decent CRT at the same kind of price point. I paid £700 for a Sony Trinitron back in the day and it's still going strong. I paid something similar last year for a Panasonic LCD panel, and it's beautiful for HD, but SD on it looks just about bearable. I have to run it with all the processing options off, and in game mode to get a refresh rate bearable enough to watch DVDs and Blu-rays on, and I do admit that for movie DVDs and Blu-rays, it blows the CRT out of the water in terms of clarity and just plain size.

I still don't like the refresh rate on it, and there are uneveness issues with the LCD screen that bug me at times. I'm sure if I had gone with Plasma, there would have been less of these issues, but more of others.

Right now, if I want to watch movie DVDs, and of course Blu-rays, and HD broadcasts. there's no contest. I'll take the HD panel any day. But if it's SD content from Freeview or Freesat, old SD TV shows, especially the old standards converted US video sourced shows like the old TNG DVDs, then I will still watch it on my old CRT, and I pray that it outlasts the flat panel TV.

I do wish that they'd kept on developing CRT sets for home usage. I think Samsung brought out a 720p HD set, and other than that, there was nothing else for the HD CRT market. Of course for studios and professional editing suites, I think they still have the option.

If you've seen the anime movie Summer Wars, they have this scene where they actually use an HD CRT monitor for its clarity and refresh rate. I once looked up how much something like that would cost, and it was around £60,000.

I think that if you want a modern TV that approaches what a midrange CRT could do, but at HD resolution, you're going to have to go Plasma, and you need to be looking at £2000 minimum, which is a hell of a lot compared to what a £600 CRT could deliver back in the 90s.
Just Passing Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 18:24   #14
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I paid £800 for a 32" widescreen CRT and it was plagued with problems. The geometry was all over the shop and nothing could be done about it, even with the mystical 'service menu' options. It was just something you had to put up with said Panasonic. And screen buzz whenever the screen had any white on it. It really put me off DVD collecting at the time. As for no-one complaining about refresh rates and so in, that's nonsense. Everyone used to complain about something with tellies esp refresh rate.

As for Roborob. Well, new eyes, had better get thinking but...

Quote:
I realy hope some of you have not been conned into thinking Blue ray adds to all pictures, Some like Wargames are limited by the film they were shot in and so improvement may not be automatically possible. :
I'm tempted to have this as my motto.

And as for 'the coolness' of flat screens, I know roborob probably hasn't been out for a while, but try buying a telly with a fat back nowadays.

Last edited by KRW; 22-06-2012 at 19:27.
Old 23-06-2012, 07:05   #15
Aardvark_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I paid £800 for a 32" widescreen CRT and it was plagued with problems. The geometry was all over the shop and nothing could be done about it, even with the mystical 'service menu' options. It was just something you had to put up with said Panasonic. And screen buzz whenever the screen had any white on it.
Yep. Not to mention the massive overscan that most CRTs had. And some CRTs had pronounced phosphor lag.

The idea that CRT technology is free of problems is just so, so wrong.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:10   #16
Just Passing Through
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark_DK View Post
Yep. Not to mention the massive overscan that most CRTs had. And some CRTs had pronounced phosphor lag.

The idea that CRT technology is free of problems is just so, so wrong.
The difference being that CRTs had been around for 70-odd years, and that's a lot of technological advancement and refinement they have gone through which has just been lost.

In comparison, LCD technology is around 25 years old, Plasma around 20, and both are really at the start of their development cycles, with Plasma really only in the past few years addressing the screen burn problems.

I don't contest that CRTs had their problems, but most of them had been ironed out by the end of their lifetimes, with only a few nightmare sets getting through the cracks.

Yes, overscan was an issue, but many DVDs addressed this, although that in return led to complaints from modern flat panel owners about windowboxed Ghibli DVDs and the like. As mentioned, I've been recently rewatching the TNG DVDs again, and I tried a few on the flat panel display, where I leave overscan off as a matter of course. The number of scenes that had boom mikes, stage marks, and studio crew drifting into the edge or top and bottom of the screen is surprising, as well as the number of effects shots which ended before the edge of the screen, and I had to turn overscan back on to appreciate the show. It's no surprise the image is being reframed as well as remastered for the Blu-rays.

The biggest driving force in the change over from CRT to LCD has been money of course. I've got a 20 year old plus Trinitron set, and JVC 4:3 set pushing 30 years, and both are still going strong, never been repaired. That was the quality of the technology at the end there. TV manufacturers don't make money if no one buys new sets, so when the HD revolution comes, it benefits them more to develop new technologies with a quicker upgrade cycle. Who now realistically expects a flat panel screen to live long past five years?

The other side of the money argument is that it is cheaper for them to develop a new technology, rather than keep pushing the boundaries of an old tech. It's the law of diminishing returns, you have to put more and more money in to get ever smaller improvements, especially where people demand larger screens, and thinner displays.

With newer technologies, smaller and indeed cheaper improvements, you can radically revolutionise emerging technologies again and again, especially in a digital medium where there can be as big as an improvement in something ethereal as software, as there is an improvement in hardware.

I'm not denying the emergent superiority of modern display technologies, I'm just questioning the need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I wish that CRTs could have remained a third option while LCD, and Plasma get all the kinks ironed out. They're good, but I don't believe they are there yet. I think CRTs would have been a decent option for sub 32" screens a while yet.

The truth of the matter is that Joe Public is still blissfully ignorant of the issues around modern TVs, and few people even go to the length of figuring out how to set them up and calibrate them. They just get them from the shop, plug them in, and start watching. And most of what they watch is SD material, either broadcast or DVD. Their TVs aren't at their best, and what they are watching isn't suited for that technology. All this great, high definition technology, and they're watching smeary, blurry, low res pictures (even worse now that Analogue is being switched off, and everything's going digital. You should see some of the complaints about bandwidth compression of terrestrial and satellite transmissions on Digital Spy Forums). No wonder DVDs still outstrip Blu-rays in the supermarket.

People will only really become aware of the capabilities, and limitations of LCDs and Plasmas once SD transmissions become a minority, and the majority of TV broadcasts become HD. Then maybe we'll see the TV manufacturers begin to address the underlying technology, rather than stuffing their sets to the gills with Smart technology, and superfluous image processing. Maybe we'll get decent audio onboard TVs again, instead of having to rely on home cinema systems to pick up the slack.
Just Passing Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 05:50   #17
Aardvark_DK

I'm not sure I understand the point of your rant. "Joe Public doesn't appreciate picture quality." No, and he didn't back in the CRT days either (do you know a lot of people who had their CRTs calibrated?), so what? If you're really into quality, you'd get a projector/screen setup anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passing Through View Post
The difference being that CRTs had been around for 70-odd years, and that's a lot of technological advancement and refinement they have gone through which has just been lost.
They still had wonky geometry, they still had massive overscan, they were still bulky as hell, many of them had pronounced phosphor lag - yeah, that's some real refinement there.
Quote:
As mentioned, I've been recently rewatching the TNG DVDs again, and I tried a few on the flat panel display, where I leave overscan off as a matter of course. The number of scenes that had boom mikes, stage marks, and studio crew drifting into the edge or top and bottom of the screen is surprising, as well as the number of effects shots which ended before the edge of the screen, and I had to turn overscan back on to appreciate the show. It's no surprise the image is being reframed as well as remastered for the Blu-rays.
Oh no! This one TV show was designed with overscan in mind! Let's all lose 10-15% of all movies to compensate.
Quote:
Who now realistically expects a flat panel screen to live long past five years?
How many people here have a five year old flat panel?

Actually, I do. It's five years old now. Still works fine. Obviously I've no idea if it will last another 15. And despite the mediocre black level, I'd take it over my old Sony Trinitron any day. That TVs flickering gave me a headache. And the jump from 28" to 42" makes a huge difference.
Quote:
The other side of the money argument is that it is cheaper for them to develop a new technology, rather than keep pushing the boundaries of an old tech.
I seriously doubt that. But it's probably a lot easier to sell new tech, sure.
Old 24-06-2012, 06:46   #18
Richie
Trusted User

It was the wonky geometry and overscan that was the most annoying thing with CRTs.
As for the coolness factor (which is a retarded statement to say the least but it is Roborob so we have to make allowances) I'll bet there are hipster ***** in Shoreditch who will only watch their CRTs because they're ironically retro.
Old 24-06-2012, 07:49   #19
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passing Through View Post
. Maybe we'll get decent audio onboard TVs again, instead of having to rely on home cinema systems to pick up the slack.
TV speakers have never been a viable option for Home Cinema, ever. One of the reasons I stopped bothering with Home Cinema in the late 90s/early 00s was that on one hand you could create excellent 5.1 and pro-logic systems but then it was tied to a 32" screen which tended to look stupid- its just a loud telly. My last CRT was 32" and was plagued with design faults. I used to buy Home Cinema Choice monthly looking for a new set but they all seemed to have flaws. I was seriously looking into back projection sets as the way forward before losing interest in the whole thing.

As for overscan, yes it was a terrible issue, as you point out, leading to windowboxing and all sorts of things. It's nice its no longer an issue.

My plasma is coming up to its 5 year birthday. Looks as good as the day I bought it. I hope never to replace it.

Last edited by KRW; 24-06-2012 at 07:58.
Old 24-06-2012, 08:05   #20
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

I have a plasma bought on boxing day....2007