Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 22-09-2011, 08:54   #161
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyG View Post
Blimey. You do your argument no favours. I think it's clear to everyone that the opening shot in ROTS is supposed to be an artistic trick of perspective, rather like a war film where one huge tank rolls into frame and then the camera tilts to show an entire battlefield. We all know the effect that is trying to be achieved. None of us feel personally insulted or betrayed by the idea of what we're watching.

I agree it's not totally convincing. If you want the geography of the scene to make total literal sense, it's a bit jarring. The concept somewhat fails in execution.

But my God, man... why do you argue the way you do? You describe this issue as though the evil monster George Satan Lucas and his team of evil VFX demons are lurking behind that Star Destroyer rubbing their hands together with glee and going, "Bwa-ha-ha! We are literally defecating into the mouths of our fans by presenting a shot that doesn't literally make geographic sense! Hahaha!!"

Get a grip.

Edit: you know what's distracting when you notice it? In ANH, only half of the Millennium Falcon is built in the hangar bay. It literally looks like half the ship stood against a wall. EVIL George Lucas, mocking the fans with such an INCOMPETENT failed shot! The geography doesn't make sense AT ALL!
If you recall, I brought it up to show that RedLetterMedia's style of 'nitpicking' was different on their Sith review. As something he didn't mention, but probably would have done in the way he reviews I & II.

And it's used as an example, in my opinion, of both a) George's comtempt for his audience and b) the fact that his ILM team don't question anything he does.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 09:12   #162
orac
information is restricted

got the original trilogy set... PQ is far better than I was expecting...

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 15:47   #163
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
It is fun picking holes in Star Wars, though, but the biggest, as I see it, is the Death Star managing to track the Falcon to the rebel base, halfway accross the galaxy, and then positioning itself where it has to wait 30 minutes for the moon to come into range. It's like the driving section is managed by Transport for London.
Forget about that. They're in a planet-destroying space station, right? So why not, y'know, BLOW UP YAVIN instead of orbiting the planet to get the rebel moon on the far side? And if the tractor beam is powerful enough to ensare the Falcon, why not turn it back on and bring in all the rebel fighters when they attack? It's not like Obi-Wan destroyed the beam, he just turned it off. (The tractor beam problem also applies to the end of ROTJ, too.) And where does the seeker droid come from in the training scene on the Falcon? Seems a bit useless for Solo to use, and it seems to be a bit big for Ben to carry around in his pocket. And I love that goofy helmet with the ginormous blastshield that's never ever seen again in any of the other movies. It couldn't have been there just to facilitate the plot in a very obvious way, surely?

How's that for an "insightful critique"? Or is that all mere nitpicking? Depends on what agenda needs serving best, I suppose.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:22   #164
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Forget about that. They're in a planet-destroying space station, right? So why not, y'know, BLOW UP YAVIN instead of orbiting the planet to get the rebel moon on the far side? And if the tractor beam is powerful enough to ensare the Falcon, why not turn it back on and bring in all the rebel fighters when they attack? It's not like Obi-Wan destroyed the beam, he just turned it off. (The tractor beam problem also applies to the end of ROTJ, too.) And where does the seeker droid come from in the training scene on the Falcon? Seems a bit useless for Solo to use, and it seems to be a bit big for Ben to carry around in his pocket. And I love that goofy helmet with the ginormous blastshield that's never ever seen again in any of the other movies. It couldn't have been there just to facilitate the plot in a very obvious way, surely?

How's that for an "insightful critique"? Or is that all mere nitpicking? Depends on what agenda needs serving best, I suppose.
The helmet is is AOTC, the kids are wearing them. (Shudders)

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:22   #165
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
The helmet is is AOTC, the kids are wearing them. (Shudders)
When? The ones that the children are wearing in AOTC looks nothing like the one seen in a new hope.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 17:33   #166
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
When? The ones that the children are wearing in AOTC looks nothing like the one seen in a new hope.
Correctamundo. At least they're wearing proper little buckets on their heads in that bit, which is, incidentally, another scene that comes under the extraordinarily inane scrutiny of RLM.
Old 24-09-2011, 20:08   #167
Steve1977
Citizen Erased

Quote:

Nice post
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 00:35   #168
Niceguygeoff

Well, it's not to say that the prequels don't have obvious problems, because they've got a shedload. But if anyone wants to apply an RLM-style "critique" to the originals they'll find plenty of similar problems.

I forgot to mention the Stormtroopers who are said to be "precise" in their marksmanship by Ben Kenobi, but in reality they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Because it's in the OT, it's dismissed as a typical action movie cliche. Yet if you put a similar cliche like, I dunno, visible poison gas in the prequels it becomes exhibit A in the case of George Lucas vs the fanboys. Red Letter Media can suck my balls.

Where the OT scores big is the sense of out-and-out fun, the spiky characters and the simple, propulsive narrative which carries all three movies along. Lucas thought he could tell a grander story with the PT which still retained that stiff, goofy serial style, but he underestimated his audience on a massive scale. Having characters who are dull as dishwater is what really killed the prequels. We're so invested in the OT characters that all the ENORMOUS plot holes become mere irrelevances.
Old 25-09-2011, 01:42   #169
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

I think RLM is supposed to be comedy and not an actual 'critique' isn't it?
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 04:00   #170
bibmcfeck

I thought something was off about the Coruscant chase in AOTC when I watched it last week. Reading theforce.net forums it seems that the editing has been tweaked, specifically the "Power couplings" exchange. I need to watch it again to see for myself. Apparently there have been slight editing changes made to the Yoda/Dooku sabre battle too.

"Will this never end?!"
bibmcfeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 08:10   #171
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Quote:
Well, it's not to say that the prequels don't have obvious problems, because they've got a shedload. But if anyone wants to apply an RLM-style "critique" to the originals they'll find plenty of similar problems.

I forgot to mention the Stormtroopers who are said to be "precise" in their marksmanship by Ben Kenobi, but in reality they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Because it's in the OT, it's dismissed as a typical action movie cliche. Yet if you put a similar cliche like, I dunno, visible poison gas in the prequels it becomes exhibit A in the case of George Lucas vs the fanboys. Red Letter Media can suck my balls.

Where the OT scores big is the sense of out-and-out fun, the spiky characters and the simple, propulsive narrative which carries all three movies along. Lucas thought he could tell a grander story with the PT which still retained that stiff, goofy serial style, but he underestimated his audience on a massive scale. Having characters who are dull as dishwater is what really killed the prequels. We're so invested in the OT characters that all the ENORMOUS plot holes become mere irrelevances.
Yes, the failings are there in all 6 films. The originals get away with it and it adds to the ambiance of the films.
Complete oposite for the prequels. May they rest in piece..
Old 25-09-2011, 09:27   #172
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post
It's a way for some aspiring filmmakers to get themselves noticed off the back of George Lucas work. Let's put it that way.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:26   #173
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post
It's half and half IMO. Trouble is people get so caught up in it - "Look at how they mercilessly dissect the prequels! Lucas is such a TOOL! HAHAHHAHAHAHA!" - that they treat every word as gospel and stop thinking for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibmcfeck View Post
I thought something was off about the Coruscant chase in AOTC when I watched it last week. Reading theforce.net forums it seems that the editing has been tweaked, specifically the "Power couplings" exchange. I need to watch it again to see for myself. Apparently there have been slight editing changes made to the Yoda/Dooku sabre battle too.

"Will this never end?!"
Yep, those scenes have been rearranged slightly. As is typical of Lucas they've been done in a very hamfisted way, disrupting the flow of the (already butchered) music score even more. What makes these gammy edits so annoying is that I can see what Lucas is trying to do, but they're executed in such a half-arsed fashion it only makes the scene worse.
Old 25-09-2011, 14:28   #174
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Thought it was quite neat that the player-generated subs for the bits spoken in Hutteese throughout the films now matches the same font and positioning as they did theatrically. Bizarrely, this doesn't carry forward onto the hard-of-hearing subs (which are just in the same boring, default font).
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 14:36   #175
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
It's a way for some aspiring filmmakers to get themselves noticed off the back of George Lucas work. Let's put it that way.

Raging dickheads.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:46   #176
midgetman
Trusted User

What exactly has been changed on clones and am i right empire is untouched from the dvd version... Also on the empire subject... Why did Lucas change the dialogue on Han about "getting the shelter up" & Luke when r2 is spat and he says " u were lucky to get out of there" the original u were lucky u never tasted very good was much better
midgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:51   #177
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

You're asking why Lucas made a certain change because the original version was better? In 2011?
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:56   #178
thescrounger
Trusted User

He's been making changes with different versions of scenes and things before the SEs of course. I remember watching Star Wars IV on Sky Movies in the early 90s & I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when some of Aunt Beru's lines sounded a bit different. I knew the audio by heart from whichever version I'd grown up with on video in the 80s.
Old 25-09-2011, 17:11   #179
Guest 136
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
He's been making changes with different versions of scenes and things before the SEs of course. I remember watching Star Wars IV on Sky Movies in the early 90s & I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when some of Aunt Beru's lines sounded a bit different. I knew the audio by heart from whichever version I'd grown up with on video in the 80s.
Timeline of changes: http://geektwins.blogspot.com/2011/0...f-changes.html The tweaking of Aunt Beru's lines were done in 1977.

Last edited by Chris; 25-09-2011 at 17:11.
Guest 136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 19:37   #180
thescrounger
Trusted User

1977 was the year the film was released.