Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 17-03-2007, 12:44   #41
Guest 7445
Trusted User

Hammond was lying about not playing the bass too, he definately does, could tell just by watching him play
Guest 7445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 13:51   #42
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader
Apparently it went on until 4.30am. They must have found another Catherine Tate and/or Little Britain Live dvd to play wholesale.
My Sky+ stopped recording it as well despite it being a manual recording.

Could be bothered to stay up and watch the Pegg and Frost stuff "live" - but Sky+ didn't record it
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 14:08   #43
ac
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsharp192
Hammond was lying about not playing the bass too, he definately does, could tell just by watching him play
I thought he said he does play, but hasn't really practised for a few (4?) years. Certainly seemed comfortable with it.
ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 15:15   #44
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ia__1d_rM

the full Ricky Gervais sketch - quality
the thing with no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 15:22   #45
ascender
Trusted User

Catherine Tate is one of the only comedians I just don't find funny. Her sketch show just seems to be really basic stuff, with everything trying to be a new "Best Catchphrase Ever" sort of sketch which gets repeated ad infinitum. We've tried to watch her show a few times but it just doesn't make me laugh and given the wide range of comedians I do like, I really find her popularity strange.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:02   #46
Guest 1987
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by ascender
Catherine Tate is one of the only comedians I just don't find funny. Her sketch show just seems to be really basic stuff, with everything trying to be a new "Best Catchphrase Ever" sort of sketch which gets repeated ad infinitum. We've tried to watch her show a few times but it just doesn't make me laugh and given the wide range of comedians I do like, I really find her popularity strange.
Comedy is subjective and therefore you are always going to get people who like a particular type of comedy and others who just can't fathom why people find it so funny. Personally I like Catherine Tate, think she's a very good comedienne and also a pretty good actress too, but I don't like "Mitchell and Webb" (well not their BBC2 show last year anyway, Peep Show was good though) but there are probably quite a few who do like them.
Guest 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:07   #47
Guest 7482
Trusted User

from what I watched the best of the evening was Gervais, Borat & Peter Kay with the Proclaimers.
Guest 7482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:15   #48
Guest 10041
Trusted User

Brian Potter, Andy Pipkin & The Proclaimers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEMYYNLbEtw
Guest 10041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:19   #49
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeè

I hate Tate, but her sketch with Blair had me in stitches.
Gervais / Merchant were definitely the kings of the night (maybe even CR history?).

Is it worth trying to obtain the Pegg / Frost footage from lost night? Were they good?
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 16:31   #50
pico_uk
Trusted User

Probably the first time I've watched comic relief all the way through and thought that this years was very good apart from the uncomofrtable silence in the studio of the mitchell and webb snooker sketch.

Gervais and co was absolutely class and TG was a good laugh, amazed by hammonds bass playing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig
I hate Tate, but her sketch with Blair had me in stitches.
Gervais / Merchant were definitely the kings of the night (maybe even CR history?).

Is it worth trying to obtain the Pegg / Frost footage from lost night? Were they good?
The Pegg and Frost stuff was more of a highlight segment doing a countdown of the best comic relief moments ever. They will probablby show something similar again in the next few days/week as they do every year.
pico_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 17:05   #51
Jim2k
Trusted User

"bobby davro......bobby davro..." Had me in stitches, but then I was very drunk! excellant show I thought.

"Oh..I love the welsh!"

Last edited by Jim2k; 17-03-2007 at 17:06.
Jim2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 17:29   #52
Joffy
Proper nawty geezer

The Mitchell and Webb sketches were awful, glad I never got round to watching them before.

I do like Catherine Tates gran character though. Her on Deal or No Deal was good

Last edited by Joffy; 17-03-2007 at 17:29.
Joffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 17:42   #53
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac
I thought he said he does play, but hasn't really practised for a few (4?) years. Certainly seemed comfortable with it.

Indeed, he seemed very proficient, unlike Clarkson who was awful!! But credit to him for having a go.

I usually dislike Tate intensely, now I might be in the minority here, but I thought the Blair bit was funny.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 00:04   #54
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader
Ha ha this Proclaimers sketch is great. How they have managed to get QUITE so many has beens (e.g. Cannon And Ball, Bobby Davro, Gary Wilmot etc) and genuine stars of yesteryear (e.g. Johnny Ball) in one room is amazing. Good effort.
That so should have been the official Comic Relief song, shouldn't it?

Last edited by Boink!; 18-03-2007 at 00:06.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 01:27   #55
swanny
RIP

Clarkson's Times column has his thoughts on the Top gear of the Pops show:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1529872.ece

When the BBC asked if I’d become involved in the Comic Relief extravaganza, obviously my initial reaction was “no”. I saw no reason to give up my time so a couple of African dictators could buy bigger Mercs.

But then I was told the Comic Relief money doesn’t actually buy cars or bigger power tools with which Mr Mugabe can drill into his opponents’ heads. It buys useful stuff such as ambulances and help for the mentally ill of Britain.

And anyway, saying no to the Comic Relief team is a bit like saying no to the man at the Tube station with the stack of Big Issues. In fact it’s even harder because you can’t smile and say: “It’s all right, I’ve already got one.”

So what did they want me to do? Wear a leotard and flail about on an ice rink? Sing? Stand in a school playground while children rubbed lumps of elephant dung into my hair?

It turned out the offer was even worse. Would the three Top Gear presenters like to appear on a humorous celebrity version of A Question of Sport?

As I’d rather have spent the afternoon sitting on a ham slicer, I came up with another idea. What about Top Gear of the Pops? It’d be like Top Gear, only instead of cars we’d have music. And then, I said jovially, we could finish with a tune from the Top Gear band.

The Comic Relief people loved this, and commissioned it immediately. And that was great, except for one teeny weeny detail. There was no such thing as the band.

Yes, Richard Hammond used to play bass with a band 20 years ago but gave up when, in a fit of temper, he broke his guitar over the singer’s head. And sure, James May is an accomplished harpsichord player with a degree in the science of music. But while he’d be good at Brahms and Chopin, he’s not so good when it comes to what he calls “pop”.

And that leaves me. I took up the drums about six months ago and have had seven lessons. I practise infrequently and have become to the world of sticksmanship what Germany is to the world of cricket.

In my heart, I fondly imagined that one day, many years from now, when I’d become more proficient, I might team up with the some like-minded souls and perhaps play a small gig to a few close friends in a pub. But here I was, volunteering to make my debut, in a week’s time, in a studio full of 700 people, to a television audience of maybe five million.

There’s no medical term for what I was going through. Doctors call it simply “******** yourself”.

And it became worse when we turned up, a day before the studio recording, to practise for the very first time.

I’d selected Billy Ocean’s Red Light Spells Danger, partly because it’s a good happy pop song ideal for ending a feelgood Comic Relief show. But mostly because there are only a couple of twiddly bits for the drummer. The rest, though fast, is all fairly straightforward.

Except it isn’t. Not when you put other instruments into the mix. I’d always thought the drums are a sort of noise that go on in the background of a song, but it turns out the drummer is the engine room. The man who keeps time. The single most vital piece of the entire ensemble.

Unaware of this, I did my first twiddly bit and sort of picked up with the beat where I’d left off. Much to my surprise, the rest of the band stopped playing, lowered their shoulders and turned to stare at me.

Actually Hammond sort of glared. There was a very real sense that if I did that again he’d kill me. And since I didn’t know what I’d done wrong this was worrying.

When you’re behind a drum kit, bashing away as though you’re in a cage, trying to get out, you can’t hear any of the other instruments. You kind of assume they’re playing the tune and all is well.

But no, rock music is not the anarchy I’d always assumed. It’s actually pure maths. I had to hit the snare at the precise moment Hammond was hitting some aspect of his guitar, and no, he couldn’t just “miss a bit out to catch up”. When I suggested this, he became even more angry.

To make matters worse I was supposed to be achieving 180 beats per minute. And I was . . . some of the time. Everyone shouted at me a lot for this.

And when I said: “Oh well. It’s for Comic Relief. Perhaps people will find my inability to keep time funny,” they shouted even more.

Eventually our singer, Justin Hawkins, formerly of the Darkness, turned up. He was a bit amazed to find the drummer and the bassist squaring up to one another, but after a couple of run-throughs said: “That’s as good as it’s going to get,” took over my drum kit and spent the rest of the day jamming with Hammond and May while I ate crisps.

And so the next day, after seven lessons and two run-throughs, we took to the stage and did our song. And afterwards everyone was very kind to me, in the same way you’re very kind to a four-year-old who’s painted a picture of some flowers. Even though they look like dogs.

The finished product was transmitted on Friday night at 10 o’clock. I hope you were all in bed and missed it.

Last edited by swanny; 18-03-2007 at 01:27.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote