Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 26-12-2006, 23:49   #21
MartinC
Trusted User

never had a problem with Digiguide *******... finds everything I want.. and all those obscure favourites & things. (odd I have a Muse search also!).

searching for just Liverpool or Liverpool FC under sport programmes is probably fine.

I have this expression though... (and this finds nearly everything).

Liverpool and Premiership NOT highlights) or (Liverpool and Champions) or (Liverpool and UEFA) or (Liverpool and FA cup) or (Liverpool and worthington cup) or (Liverpool and Live Ford)
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 00:05   #22
Guest 48579
Banned

Cheers mate - as I said it had found them, just hadn't realised the My TV guide only showed the day. It found me a nice little 15 minute highlight package of a classic Liverpool v. Newcastle game that I would never have known otherwise.

I also did a printout to use with my sky+ and was most impressed. Out of interest what do you use for Muse? I know the MTV2 concert is on again soon.......
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 10:18   #23
MartinC
Trusted User

the joys of ESPN classic sports I presume? they have some good games on there. Roma V Liverpoool 1984 tomorrow for example.

I have the Liverpool one above as a marker (not a favourite) and it catches everything... you just add to the expression if there is something it doesn't catch.

Ditto the same for Muse, I have a general find me my favourite music artists rather than individual ones- (Muse or Arcade Fire or whatever).
You could restrict this to music only category but you'll miss someone if they're on a chat show or arts programme... (like when Tom Waits was on the Late Show a few weeks ago.. major bonus ).

anyway, Digiguide works a treat for me and has done for a good few years.

doing a search on my future music things shows me..
Muse are on on the 30th @ 18.30 and 3rd at 22.00.

Digiguide is also great if you're a Sky HD owner and trying to find decent content.

Last edited by MartinC; 27-12-2006 at 10:19.
Old 28-12-2006, 13:41   #24
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Markers are cool. I think you've figured it out now. I just do

Live AND (Liverpool OR Tottenham OR Spurs)

as my marker (naturally you'd leave the spurs part out) and it picks up everything just fine, CL, UEFA and Prem. The only thing is it'll catch things that are have live and livepool in which is usually nothing but every xmas it highlights the choir service from Liverpool cathedral
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 14:03   #25
Guest 48579
Banned

Still got to get used to the program - somehow managed to miss Dracula tonight (didn't even though the Beeb were doing one). But I'm getting there, and am very grateful to everyone for their help.
Old 29-12-2006, 22:13   #26
jroadley
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
Still got to get used to the program - somehow managed to miss Dracula tonight (didn't even though the Beeb were doing one). But I'm getting there, and am very grateful to everyone for their help.
You didn't miss much
Old 30-12-2006, 21:53   #27
Guest 48579
Banned

So I hear. I didn't even bother to watch it after reading the thread.

I am loving this program now. It really is so useful. I forgot I still had the Radiohead marker on and it has just popped up to tell me there is a TOTP 2 on UKTVG2 tomorrow with Radiohead on it. Would NEVER have noticed it otherwise.

Another feature it has which I really like is that I had three programs on at the same time I wanted to watch the other night - so something had to give. One of them was Derren Brown - Something Wicked This Way comes. As I had no burning desire to watch this, then I just didn't bother.

However, Digiguide has just popped up and told me it is repeated tomorrow on E4. Again, something I never would have noticed with a listings mag. Superb stuff and worth every penny of it's £9!
Old 30-12-2006, 23:55   #28
MartinC
Trusted User

yeah its dead handy (films especially) and want to know the next showing or repeat - especially with 6-8 weeks of schedules on film channels and some of the others.

you can also right click on any programme past or future and do a "Find me all programmes called X" or matching your particular marker or actors.
Old 31-12-2006, 02:20   #29
Hex
Chemical Member

A convert

not that i had much doubt, it's a great program.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 20:31   #30
jroadley
Trusted User

Forgot to record Wind In The Willows, but digiguide popped up and told me its on again Thursday in glorious HD !
Old 04-01-2007, 22:13   #31
Guest 48579
Banned

Could someone advise me on something? One thing I am finding is that if I want to mark one programme as my favourite it does every program in the series which is a bit annoying. I would like to highlight individual episodes I haven't seen of the Simpsons but it goes and puts every bloody episode into My TV. Any solution would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2007, 22:22   #32
Hex
Chemical Member

You could set up a marker, if you know what episodes they are you could do it using:

'series xx and episode yy or episode zz or ...' etc

as the expression, i so something similar for series 17

edit: if it's a whole series, like mine for series 17, you could use the series link function.

Last edited by Hex; 04-01-2007 at 22:25.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 22:45   #33
MartinC
Trusted User

you can use the series link as Hex suggests, doesn't help much if you don't know a new series is starting on an obscure channel.

maybe not exactly for the Simpsons like you describe, but for things like new series of Law & Order and CSI, I mark them as a favourite then once that series has finished I stick an exclude in the expression field ..something like NOT (Series 1 or Series 2).

works lovely for me.

also remember you can exclude particular channels so you might prefer the Simpsons on C4 or Sky, and at particular times of day also so you don't get loads of repeats per day (maybe 6pm-8pm say).

Last edited by MartinC; 04-01-2007 at 22:53.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23   #34
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
I've been playing around with markers but having real problems. I tried to create one to alert me when Liverpool FC matches were on. I asked it to search for "Liverpool" or "Liverpool FC" and "Live".

It showed up Liverpool v. Newcastle on Sky Sports Classics tonight (not live by any stretch of the imagination)
I haven't used DigiGuide for a few months, but I think it would match against words which contained your search terms (not just the exact word) -- so every Liverpool game would match "Live". I could be wrong; try a manual search for "Live" and see if they show up anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
Freeguide is ace. I found Digiguide unnecessarily complicated (I didn't renew my subscription because of this), and found Freeguide to be less cluttered ...

[pretty picture]
That looks great -- much nicer than my installation of FreeGuide looks. But then, my FreeGuide seems broken: searches never find anything and it often hangs when updating. Maybe I need a new JVM.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote