Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 07-04-2005, 17:17   #261
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybhoy
Buffy and Angel used to sell for £80 in the shops and £60 online. As I said, it is all about gouging a dedicated fanbase and once that has dried up, bring the prices down to get "normal" sales.

This is why so many excellent shows sell their seasons between £15 and £40 - they don't have "dedicated fans" to gouge.
Bang on! They know full well that the people with homemade Cybermen costumes will pay over the odds and will want it on release. I have no doubt that's it's price will go down quicker than Paris Hilton in front of a camcorder a month or so after release when that (small) market has dried up (which is when I'll pick it up, permitting I enjoy the series enough of course).
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 17:36   #262
Guest 2795
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny

P.S. Want a TARDIS to stick all your DVDs in?...

http://www.gallifreyone.com/picview....=tardisbox.jpg

Is now the time to confess that i bought a Tardis Video cabinet about 10 years ago. Typically the shelves aren't deep enough to hold DVD's. Also GBP 300 to hold 28 DVDs, you;re going to need a whole fleet of them to store all the DVDs once they're finally released.

With regards to the half human issue ( a few posts back now i know) the Doctor catorgorically states in Pyramids of Mars circa 1975 that he is NOT human. So if this can be completely ignored by the Movie 21 years later then i think its more than acceptable for the new seires to ignore the Movie. (and anything else it wants to.)

Just also wanted to say that i had very very grave fears for this new series and i'm so happy to say that i've been completey blown away by it. Its not Who as we know it but who knows what the show would have been like by now had it kept going. Bravo to RTD and BBC Wales. All we need to do now is just convince them to do all 2 part stories (45 mins is too short i my opinion).
Guest 2795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 18:38   #263
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

I'm such a fanboy, I'll probably buy the vanilla releases and the boxset.

Anyway, has anyone notice/mentioned the announcement made by the steward "Would the owner of the blue box in private gallery 15 please report to the stewards office immediately. Guests are reminded that use of teleportation devices is strictly forbidden under peace treaty 5.4/cup/16. Thank you."

Hmmm, peace treaty = end of some sort of war ... hmmm.

Last edited by Refrenz; 07-04-2005 at 18:39.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 19:01   #264
Kal El
SuperMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJedi
Quick comparison.

Doctor Who season 1/27 - 13 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £69.99.
West Wing season 1 - 22 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £59.99.
Smallville season 1 - 21 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £54.99.
Battlestar Galactica season 1 - 13 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £49.99.
ER season 1 - 26 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £44.99.
The Shield season 1 - 13 episodes. R2 DVD RRP £34.99.

It's twice the price of some comparable length series. It's more expensive than some full-length series. Only the Star Trek releases come close to obscene prices on this scale.

Possibility of me buying this before it appears massively discounted in a sale: zero.
The region 2 release of Las Vegas can be picked up for £23 from ASDA with 6 discs containing 23 episodes (new release, not in the sale).
This is the price point I think TV series should be aiming for!
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 19:26   #265
Guest 2728
Trusted User

Heads up - it's possible the broadcast of Saturdays' episode may be pushed back from 7 to 8p.m. due to coverage of the Royal Wedding / Grand National. Not definite but watch those schedules over the next few days. If you're out set your video/DVD recorder for an extra hour to be on the safe side!
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 19:27   #266
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
Anyway, has anyone notice/mentioned the announcement made by the steward "...Guests are reminded that use of teleportation devices is strictly forbidden under peace treaty 5.4/cup/16. Thank you."

Hmmm, peace treaty = end of some sort of war ... hmmm.
Also, what year did the Doctor tell Rose it was, it sounded strange?
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 19:37   #267
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
Heads up - it's possible the broadcast of Saturdays' episode may be pushed back from 7 to 8p.m. due to coverage of the Royal Wedding / Grand National. Not definite but watch those schedules over the next few days. If you're out set your video/DVD recorder for an extra hour to be on the safe side!
Cheers. There's always the repeat on BBC3 Sunday 7pm as a back up.

P.S. You forgot TiVo and Sky+

Talking of TiVo, I set mine to start 2 mins early and finish 2 mins late as BBC started it early on the first showing.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 19:54   #268
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Is there a price out for the Tardis DVD holder. Gota have one!!
Spooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 20:30   #269
Guest 1661
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
Anyway, has anyone notice/mentioned the announcement made by the steward "Would the owner of the blue box in private gallery 15 please report to the stewards office immediately. Guests are reminded that use of teleportation devices is strictly forbidden under peace treaty 5.4/cup/16. Thank you."
Doesn't that outlaw TARDIS's as well, since they are teleportation devices.
Guest 1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 21:48   #270
BlackJedi
Children's author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccabs
Is now the time to confess that i bought a Tardis Video cabinet about 10 years ago. Typically the shelves aren't deep enough to hold DVD's. Also GBP 300 to hold 28 DVDs, you;re going to need a whole fleet of them to store all the DVDs once they're finally released.
When I was at uni I knew people who had a full-sized TARDIS. Stick a few shelves inside, and they could have stored thousands of DVDs.

(Here follows a story of student shenanigans and Whovian obsessives that may be skipped by most people as uninteresting.)

At St. Andrews, they have this tradition called "academic families", where first-years are "adopted" by third- or fourth-years as a sort of mentoring programme. Once a year, on "Raisin Sunday", the academic children give their "parents" a pound of raisins (or more likely a bottle of wine) as a gesture of thanks. The parents then dress the children in fancy dress, and provide a receipt for the raisins/wine. The children have to carry the receipt about for the whole day.

And this is where the fun really starts. Receipts can be written on anything - the larger, bulkier and more embarassing the better.

Some of my friends were Whovians. Obsessive Whovians.

They built the aforementioned full-size TARDIS out of plywood and attached the receipt to it. So their poor academic children had to drag an eight-foot blue box around town for the entire day. Fortunately, it was on castors.
BlackJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 23:12   #271
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJedi
... They built the aforementioned full-size TARDIS out of plywood and attached the receipt to it. So their poor academic children had to drag an eight-foot blue box around town for the entire day. Fortunately, it was on castors.
You see, I would have found that smart to have a TARDIS for the day.
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 20:47   #272
Guest 28082
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nope. A tardis isn't a matter transmitter.

IIRC it's a physical representation of a 5 dimensional mathematical equation, or something.

Also, the Tardis doesn't go anywhere, its shell does...
Guest 28082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 20:55   #273
andybhoy
Trusted User

Semantics, Chris, Semantics. To all intents AND purposes, there was no difference between the tardis and cassandra's teleportation device.

Still, it's nice to know that the future of home made tardis' is in safe hands
andybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote