Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 06-04-2005, 14:09   #1
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

West Wing now to transmit on More4

From Digital Spy:

More4 to premiere 'West Wing' episodes

Political drama The West Wing is moving from E4 to Channel 4's new factual station More4.

Writing in a piece for The Guardian today, More4 controller Peter Dale confirmed that the show would premiere each week in a "regular peak-time slot."

Dale, who is set to launch the channel this October, is due to meet with independent producers this week to discuss ideas for original programmes. "We will be asking [them] to come to us with even more ideas which have a modern, questioning original take on the world," he said.

Once a month More4 will air a piece of "event television" which embodies the core values of C4, "independence of thought, a delight in taking risks and a passion for the new." He added: "We are already under way with some big pieces which you could not imagine coming from any other broadcaster and which, for a digital channel, are handsomely funded."

Also in the schedule will be a daily news bulletin aiming to "capitalise on the strengths" of Channel 4 News. "Its brief will be to question the day's stories in more depth and often through a different prism," Dale explained.

As expected, More4 will feature repeats of Channel 4 shows such as Brat Camp, Dispatches, Body Shock and Jamie's School Dinners. "It is unheard of in the digital world to pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into a programme only to show it once," Dale reasoned. "On More4 we will make a feature of showing the best of current C4 factual output because we are very proud of it."
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:11   #2
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

No chance of More4 being a Freeview channel is there?
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:11   #3
Guest 43206
Isn't it?

Very wordy there, could be good. Is this 'more4' (silly name) going to be free-to-air?
Guest 43206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:22   #4
GregB
Stagger Lee

Sounds interesting. It would be nice if C4 showed Season 5 before this new channel shows Season 6 so my girlfriend can catch up but somehow I doubt it. Good job the DVDs are out soon
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:27   #5
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohood
Very wordy there, could be good. Is this 'more4' (silly name) going to be free-to-air?
A quick search found this:

Quote:
From Digital Spy:

Channel 4's new factual station More4 will go live in October across all digital platforms, the network has announced.
Which now I re-read it answers Arthur Fowler's question not yours but YES is also said it will be Free-to-air.

Last edited by T4V; 06-04-2005 at 14:31.
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:35   #6
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V
A quick search found this:

Which now I re-read it answers Arthur Fowler's question not yours but YES is also said it will be Free-to-air.
Sounds excellent! Thanks
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:36   #7
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

More 4's long been planned for Freeview and c4 have just got the rights to a new freeview space.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:39   #8
Soprano
Walking the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_Tabasco
As expected, More4 will feature repeats of Channel 4 shows such as Brat Camp, Dispatches, Body Shock and Jamie's School Dinners. "It is unheard of in the digital world to pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into a programme only to show it once," Dale reasoned. "On More4 we will make a feature of showing the best of current C4 factual output because we are very proud of it."
Why not call it More-of-the-same4?
Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:45   #9
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano
Why not call it More-of-the-same4?
Or in the case of The West Wing, Even-More-out-of-the-way4
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 15:49   #10
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler
No chance of More4 being a Freeview channel is there?
More4 is currently due to launch on multiplex 2 on Freeview.
This is the one ITV and C4 own.
ITV have 4 slots on this (ITV1, 2, 3 and News)
and C4 have 3 (C4, empty slot for More4 and E4 currently broadcasting as pay TV via Topuptv).

The More4 slot was freed up when they moved Pricedrop.tv who had been renting the empty space over to multiplex A (was used for Film4 in ITV Digital days).
C4 have also said there long term aim is to make E4 free but there are issues with this (see threads on digitalspy for more info).

The slot ITV have won on multiplex C is to be used for ITV4 (male orientated rebrand of men & motors). C4 are rumoured to have won the slot on multiplex D but have not got a channel firmed up although rumour is one of those stupid quiz channels.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 16:02   #11
Littc
Trusted User

Going OT a bit, but does nayone know why when i took my freeview box to University it picked up most of the channels but not the ITV channels or C4 channels. I know it's not down to the box becuase it works fine at home but it's really irritating for us to always have to swap the arial back into the tv to be able to get ITv or C4. Are there somekind of regional hotspots for freeview where some channels don't get transmitted.
Littc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 19:48   #12
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littc
Going OT a bit, but does nayone know why when i took my freeview box to University it picked up most of the channels but not the ITV channels or C4 channels. I know it's not down to the box becuase it works fine at home but it's really irritating for us to always have to swap the arial back into the tv to be able to get ITv or C4. Are there somekind of regional hotspots for freeview where some channels don't get transmitted.
In some areas you need a 'wide band' aerial to get all the channels. In my area, if you have the old style narrow band aerial you cannot receive the BBC multiplex.

Also, some multiplexes in certain areas will transmit on lower power than others

See http://www.kswindells.34sp.com/freev...hp/out_of_band
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 20:53   #13
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,229 Times in 871 Posts
Excellent news that some free channel will be showing the excellent West Wing!

Season 5 is out on DVD in a few weeks so I'm just glad that future seasons will be available

Rik
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote