Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 30-11-2019, 20:44   #2821
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
IF you decide you need to clean install on the same machine then you simply do just that. You don't need a serial. It will install without, and will activate once online on any equipment that has previously had Win10 activated.
As to the taskbar - is there nothing in
right-click on the taskbar itself > taskbar settings that will work for you?
No I can't see any settings that would be locking my taskbar into Aways On Top mode, every option is turned OFF except for the last two options, the ones about command prompt and show badges. Switching these off makes no difference.

EDIT: Ran a scan in poweshell as admin, clean bill of health!

Last edited by Shingster; 30-11-2019 at 20:49.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20   #2822
Shingster
Trusted User

Just want to add: Safe Mode still works perfectly fine for me, no issue with my taskbar at all. Something very specific is causing this, could it be a virus? Malwarebytes and avast give me a clean bill of health.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:34   #2823
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,057 Times in 528 Posts
If it's ok in safe mode and all the system files check out. Then it's a driver problem, not a windows problem. Most likely GPU.

What GPU have you got? What driver version? Any other weird hardware? What's your motherboard?

- GPU driver update. If it is up to date already and it's still doing this, remove it completely using the Nvidia/AMD uninstaller and choose 'remove completely/clean uninstall'.. and then let windows update install what it thinks the driver should be.
- Audio driver. Realtek ones are usually terrible. They had to release some Windows 10 1809 specific ones back for that build of windows because of compatibility issues... make sure you got that.
- Update your Intel/AMD chipset drivers.

If that's all done, start removing bits...
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35   #2824
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,105 Times in 897 Posts
Driver Easy is great ... I even went pro for $30 (annual, 3 devices).

Free version is fully functional, but manual installs. Worth a try just for the scan, imo, and it's very fast.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55   #2825
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,057 Times in 528 Posts
Pay for what Windows does itself?

The only drivers you need are NIC, GPU, Audio, chipset... if you play games on computer, then update the GPU regularly by using the auto updating software from Nvidia and AMD. Then Intel and AMD auto updaters will do the NIC and chipset.. then audio can sit there, as long as it works, it's fine.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55   #2826
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,105 Times in 897 Posts
Sure, but some of us have had (still have) driver issues. At least on our 2 laptops, Driver Easy found plenty of outdated drivers that weren't being updated by Windows. ymmv.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 16:07   #2827
Shingster
Trusted User

I have a Geforce 980ti graphics card, just uninstalled the driver to see if going dirver less fixes the issue, and it doesn't, then I manually installed the latest driver and that doesn't fix the issue. Before today windows itself updated my driver about 48hrs ago, and that didn't fix the issue, so I think it's safe to rule out my graphics driver.

If it's an issue with my motherboard driver then I am truly ******. I made the mistake of buying an ASUS motherboard and they can't be arsed to release new drivers for their products. I think my board is a Maximum Hero VII. It's definitely one of the Maxmimum Heroes anyway.

Looking at this page then I should have the latest Audio and Chipset drivers installed, not sure about NIC, I see no mention of an NIC driver on the page.

This is basically the reason I'm absolutely dreading having to format and reinstall windows: ASUS drivers. I know something is going to go horribly wrong when the time comes to **** around with those god damn ASUS drivers and utilities. Then there's the everday programs I use that are now bundled with OpenCandy or some other form of Adware. It's becoming a real minefield these days imo!

Last edited by Shingster; 01-12-2019 at 16:16.
Old 01-12-2019, 16:19   #2828
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,967 Posts
Unless its a laptop (which its not) you generally don't want to be using the motherboard manufacturers drives anyway - precisely for that reason. You generally want to be getting them from the chipset/nic/audio manufacturer - making sure they are for the models used on your board.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:43   #2829
Shingster
Trusted User

Ah right, never would have crossed my mind to seek out manufacturer drivers! So which drivers do I need specifically: NIC, Audio, Chipset. How do I check the manufacturers of each element? Will they be listed in my motherboard manual?

Turns out my motherboard is a littler older than I thought, I own the ASUS Maximus VI Hero.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:55   #2830
Shingster
Trusted User

OK so I've figured out the culprit for my Taskbar being stuck in Always on Top!! Bloody Firefox! Somewhere tonight in my internet travels just browsing on "taskbar stuck on always on top" issues where someone pointed out that having Firefox and also possibly Google Chrome pinned to their taskbar was causing this issue for them, so I rebooted into safe mode so I could right click on these icons and unpin them from the taskbar and hey presto: Taskbar isn't always on top anymore! I've now just this second pinned Firefox to my taskbar and the problem as resurfaced.

I still can't right-click on any icon pinned to my taskbar, but at least I can watch a bleedin' video and play a game in peace now!

EDIT: Just checked and adding Google Chrome to my taskbar does indeed also cause the issue. Opera is perfectly fine though!

OK, so now I only have one annoying issue! The most annoying issue for me was this "always on top" problem, so I'm pretty chuffed that's been resolved. For now!

Last edited by Shingster; 02-12-2019 at 04:04.
Thanked 2 times by:
ColinD (02-12-2019), driver8 (02-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 23:55   #2831
Shingster
Trusted User

The "always on top" taskbar problem keeps resurfacing for some reason, resetting fixes it but the longer I go between resetting/rebooting the more likely it is to kick in at random. I've got no clue as to why because all web browsers are gone from my taskbar.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:20   #2832
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

have you tired creating a new user account and see if these issues are prevalent there? Sounds more like your profile has got a bit screwed up.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17   #2833
LV426
Trusted User

Do you have >1 Windows PC on whch you use the same MS logon credentials? Is it possible that, on another machine(s) you have different settings? MS has a feature whereby certain settings are cloud-stored and then used in your next logon, even if at a different machine. It can be disabled.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:13   #2834
Shingster
Trusted User

Nah I've only ever installed Windows 10 on this PC, no other devices. Only ever had the one account either and never entered my MS logon credentials anywhere else. I don't even have a microsoft onedrive account.

I'll try setting up a new user account on the PC and see what happens.
EDIT: Yeah same problem on the new account, couldn;t right click on taskbar apps and the taskbar was always on top.

IMO this has a good chance of being a driver issue, but how the hell do I figure out which one?

Last edited by Shingster; 07-12-2019 at 03:26.
Old Yesterday, 07:21   #2835
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Nah I've only ever installed Windows 10 on this PC, no other devices. Only ever had the one account either and never entered my MS logon credentials anywhere else. I don't even have a microsoft onedrive account.

I'll try setting up a new user account on the PC and see what happens.
EDIT: Yeah same problem on the new account, couldn;t right click on taskbar apps and the taskbar was always on top.

IMO this has a good chance of being a driver issue, but how the hell do I figure out which one?
To me that doesn't sound like a driver issue tbh, sounds more like something is corrupt somewhere, possibly in the registry or something. If a new user is having the same thing.

The amount of time you are spending on this, it really would be more cost efficient time wise to spend that time re-installing.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24   #2836
Shingster
Trusted User

I've not actually been dedicating that much time to it really. That's kinda the problem: It's christmas and I've got a million other things to be sorting out, so I basically come back to this at the end of the day when I'm on the PC browsing, etc. I faff about with it and get nowhere, but I've not really dedicated a good portion of any day to it really.

There are two reasons why I'm hesitant about reinstalling and seem to be fighting tooth-and-nail to solve the issue without resorting to starting from scratch:

1. ASUS haven't updated my motherboard drivers and the extremely vital AISuite software that I absolutely need to manage the fans on my PC, since I got the bleeding motherboard! So with re-installing I've got the headache of having to figure out which drivers and which version of AiSuite is actually stable with the current version of windows. I know members here have told me to download the individual manufacturer's drivers, but without PC tech knowledge they might as well have told me to fly to the moon for TESLA. I know the areas I need to install drivers for, but I don't know what a MEI Chipset driver is from adam, let alone how to recognise the latest version that is applicable for my hardware.

2. I have THE WORST luck in the world when it comes to reinstalling windows, the chances that Windows 10 will freeze during reinstall (as plenty of people online have reported windws 10 as doing) for me personally is basically 90% because windows hates me and always does whatever it can to **** me. Every damn time. I've never had Windows fail then I do a simple format/reinstall and it just works, I usually end up with a myriad of problems and have to format/reinstall at least four times, taking about a week or more of my personal time just to get back to where I was before windows update broke my operating system.

See that's the problem I've got to contend with: If I reinstall I will have no choice but to sit down and deal with the fallout that always comes with that, and it's just a crap time of the year for that.

Last edited by Shingster; Today at 04:41.
Old Today, 04:45   #2837
Shingster
Trusted User

I think I've discovered what the actual reason for my taskbar locking up is, because as it turns out, I don;t think Firefox/Chrome were behind it. Basically if I right click on any icon on my takbar, nothing happens obviously other than the little "loading" circle that appears when you click on something in windows, and it seems that's what activates the locking of my taskbar into "always on top" mode.

Since the problems stated I'd been right clicking on icons immediately after my PC restarted to test if the problem had gone (also it's habit, I still find myself right clicking on the Explorer folder icon to bring up my Quick Start pop up menu), but I guess when I tested the removal of the Firefox/Chrome icons I didn't right click on anything beforehand.

Last edited by Shingster; Today at 04:47.