Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 13:22   #1081
avid fan
Trusted User

As already said many times, those two episodes were a good summary of everything that’s wrong with RTD.

Completely nonsensical plot, jumping from one half thought out idea to the next, which seemed to be put together one afternoon when the execs got around the table to brainstorm. They take one road, then turn 180 degrees as if they scrub the blackboard (case in point – the Master shows Bond that he’s turned everyone into himself, so he waves his fist and undoes everything!!!!)

As noted above, the resolution of the 4 knocks was one of the few nice points in there – it reminded me of the moment in LOTR when you see the expression on Ian McKellen’s face when Frodo volunteers to take the ring.

One other effect I did like was the gradual emergence of the timelords, when you could see them almost through a heat haze. Other than that, it was complete balls – particularly the shaking heads when everyone turned into the master – they used that in InnerSpace back in the eighties!!.

Out of interest, I ws wondering how the media etc have reviewed the episode?? – I pray they think the same, but previously I’ve read them after many cruddy episodes and they’re just effusive about how Dr Who makes them behave like kids again

I agree that he seems to have deliberately stymied other future ‘owners’ of the show uin terms of how they depict Gallifrey/ other timelords etc. I don’t know vintage Who that well though – can anyone tell me how much, if any, is mentioned about them in previous incarnations??? Sems like something that is treated with great reverence, but without any background story to back it up?

By the way, that's some jaw on the new Dr - I'm sure I saw him behind bars in Tango & Cash
Old 05-01-2010, 13:37   #1082
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,057 Times in 528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Hmmm

I mean fair play to the time and effort, but......

Well this might pee off a lot of you, but Murray Gold is back for Series "1"(5).
From HOT OF THE PRESS:
Hmmm disappointing, but as other have said, he does some good stuff. I really like Martha's theme...

Hopefully his crap action music will be scaled back or properly mixed now those others aren't running the show.
Old 05-01-2010, 17:00   #1083
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

This piece is rather lovely too (particularly from 3 mins in).

(from a Moffat ep of course )
Old 05-01-2010, 18:02   #1084
Harsin

Anyone seen that old Tommy Cooper lego advert that they're showing again on TV at the moment. It reminds me an alarming amount of RTDs plotting style.
Old 05-01-2010, 18:34   #1085
Guest 2951
Trusted User

Just remembered what you're on about with the radiation bit from Smith and Jones. RTD really doesn't bother thinking through his own work does he...

Quite looking forward to new bloke as Tennant had kind of taken over from the concept but still could've put up with him with more from Moffat. Girl in the fireplace is still a stand out episode for me and his performance was very good. Even with the Banana bits.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:17   #1086
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin View Post
Anyone seen that old Tommy Cooper lego advert that they're showing again on TV at the moment. It reminds me an alarming amount of RTDs plotting style.
Yes!

Also, that ad's so old it seems unlikely they even make Lego like that, given all the pieces they make that are bespoke to a certain design.
Old 05-01-2010, 21:36   #1087
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirok1 View Post
Just remembered what you're on about with the radiation bit from Smith and Jones. RTD really doesn't bother thinking through his own work does he....
That episode was actually very specific about him being able to absorb and eliminate Röntgen radiation, which is used for X-rays - This was a totally different type of radiation - so it was consistent.

Dramatically it wouldn't make sense in this episode for the doctor to go into a spiel about there being some forms of radiation he can withstand and some he can't just to satisfy a thought a very small percentage of the viewers would barely even consider. There's been lots of times the Doctor has been in mortal danger due to radiation in the old series - he's regenerated because of it before...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27   #1088
new
Sand Dab

Digi spy have a regeneration article up:
Quote:
Ch-ch-ch-changes, to quote David Bowie. That's exactly what the good Doctor himself has been through plenty of times during his 906 years, with the latest regeneration taking place in front of millions of weepy viewers on New Year's Day. (Despite rumours, David Tennant didn't morph into the frontman from Rage Against The Machine, but Matt Smith instead). The first and last words of a new or departing Doctor are always fascinating, so here's a look at The Doctor's rises and demises since the show started in 1963...

THE FIRST DOCTOR

First words: "What are you doing here?"

A battle against the Cybermen in the South Pole took its toll on the increasingly frail Time Lord, who lapsed in and out of consciousness while trying to fend off the Mondasian threat. He was taken captive by the Cybermen and held inside their spaceship, but had enough presence of mind to allow the invaders to drain too much power from the Earth and destroy their home planet.

In front of companions Ben and Polly, the grouchy white-haired time traveller collapsed inside the Tardis and transformed from the ailing William Hartnell into the endearing cosmic hobo Patrick Troughton.

Last words: "'It's all over'. That's what you said. No, but it isn't. It's far from being all over. I must get back to the Tardis immediately! I must go now… I must go at once. [Ben passes a cloak to The Doctor] Ah yes, thank you. Keep warm."

THE SECOND DOCTOR
First words: "Araagh, slower! Concentrate on one thing! One thing!"

Recent adventures have displayed The Doctor's fondness for his Time Lord race, but they didn't do his second incarnation many favours. In fact, they found him guilty of interfering in the affairs on other planets and exiled him on Earth - along with forcing a regeneration upon him. The last moments of Patrick Troughton were as a disembodied head floating away in a dark void. The next time we saw The Doctor - in glorious colour - was when Jon Pertwee stumbled out of the Tardis and collapsed.

Last words: "Is this some sort of joke? No, I refuse to be treated in... What are you doing? No! Stop! You're making me giddy! No! You can't do this to me. No! No! No! No! No! No! No!"

THE THIRD DOCTOR
First words: "Shoes, must find my shoes. Unhand me, Madam!"

Big spiders send shivers down the spines of many folks, but rarely do they make anyone regenerate. The Doctor's indirect destruction of angry arachnid 'The Great One' on Metebelis 3 caused a huge wave of radiation to fill its cave after it was tricked into using a crystal for its evil purposes. This radiation weakened The Doctor and affected his cells, although he made it back to UNIT headquarters. He regenerated in front of the Brigadier, Sarah Jane and Harry Sullivan, before quickly bounding around with a radically eccentric personality and jelly baby fetish.

Last words: "A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's..."

THE FOURTH DOCTOR

First words: "Stop Linx... the course of human history... I tell you, Brigadier - there's nothing to worry about. The Brontosaurus is large and placid."

Video killed the radio star, but it was a radio telescope that curtailed the Fourth Doctor's reign. A bid to unplug a power cable and prevent The Master from sending out a universal message from the telescope caused The Doctor's mortal foe to tilt the big satellite dish and leave him dangling high above the ground. Intensely staring straight ahead, The Doctor kept hanging on while experiencing visions of old enemies like the Daleks urging him to die. Then, suddenly, he lost his grip and fell to the ground.

Out of nowhere, the mysterious figure of The Watcher moved over to The Doctor, merged bodies with him and transformed into the younger Peter Davison. Bafflingly, it transpired that The Watcher was the future Doctor all along.

Last words: "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for."

THE FIFTH DOCTOR
First words: "Ah, you've come to help me find the Zero Room. Welcome aboard. I'm The Doctor, or will be if this regeneration works out."

Everything seemed to be going well for this youthful and sprightly incarnation until he paid a major price by saving the life of his dying companion Peri. They were both suffering from spectrox toxaemia, and the only cure was bat's milk located in an oxygen-free cave deep down in the planet Androzani. It's certainly not something you can pick up at your local Tesco. Sadly, there was only enough milk for Peri and she could only look on as her friend collapsed on the Tardis floor.

In a memorably tense scene, The Doctor experienced hallucinations featuring a range of former friends and foes, who either implored him to survive or die. The Master was particularly vocal in his desire for The Doctor to push up the daisies, but suddenly our hero's head jolted up from the Tardis floor - complete with blond afro and an inconspicuous blink.

Last words: "Going soon. It's time to say goodbye. Might regenerate, I don't know. Feels different this time. Adric?"

THE SIXTH DOCTOR
First words: "You were expecting someone else?"

After Colin Baker was harshly sacked from the role and refused to return for a regeneration scene, Sylvester McCoy had to wear a curly blond wig and be filmed from behind wearing the multicoloured Sixth Doctor outfit. Not exactly the most dignified start to a new era on the show, but at least his previous incarnation's final words were a rant against his companion Mel's fondness for vegetable juice.

An attack on the Tardis by a Time Lady called The Rani forced the vessel to crash land and The Doctor to regenerate from the resulting injuries.

Last words: "Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice."

THE SEVENTH DOCTOR
First words: "That was a nice nap. Now, down to business."

It wasn't any monsters from outer space that did it for The Doc - it was his beloved human race! He emerged from the Tardis in San Francisco and was immediately pelted with a volley of bullets from some angry Triads. Welcome back to Earth. To make matters worse, The Master was on the loose and Dr Grace Holloway ignored the Time Lord's protests and tried to operate on him despite his distinctly non-human internal organs. Two hearts beating together certainly weren't in Grace's medical textbooks.

Her efforts failed and the seemingly deceased man was locked away in a morgue, only to regenerate into a floppy haired and housewife-pleasing younger persona with a Jesus Christ complex and dubious fashion taste.

Last words: "Got to stop him."

THE EIGHTH DOCTOR
First words: "Who am I? WHO AM I?"

The exact circumstances regarding his regeneration are unknown, although it is strongly believed that he perished during the epic Time War. Evidence suggests that the Eighth Doctor regenerated shortly before his successor encountered the Autons and a certain chavette companion called Rose, as he notably comments on his new features when looking in the mirror at Jackie Tyler's flat. Yes - we know that Christopher Eccleston was the Ninth Doctor not the Eighth.

Last words: "Right, where to next? Now, where was I? [Record starts skipping in the Tardis] Oh no, not again!"

THE NINTH DOCTOR
First words: "Run!"

A short-lived and undoubtedly 'fantastic' stint was brought to an end after The Doctor sacrificed himself, just like his fifth incarnation, to save his companion. Cellular degeneration and regeneration into Barcelona-bound David Tennant ensued once he sucked out and absorbed the Time Vortex from Rose Tyler's mouth. Has anyone else ever found a better pretext for a sloppy snog?

Last words: "Rose, before I go I just want to tell you you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Do you know what? So was I."

THE TENTH DOCTOR
First words: "Hello. OK, mmm. New teeth. That's weird. So where was I? That's right. Barcelona."

The four knocks of the seemingly harmless old soldier Wilfred Mott signalled the end for the Tenth Doctor, as he sacrificed himself to save his companion by absorbing loads of nuclear energy. Hang on, is anyone getting a slight bit of déjà-vu here? Still, at least he didn't actually snog Wilf, instead trading places with him in a glass chamber.

After reaping his ‘reward’ and helping some old friends, The Doctor's body finally gave up the fight and the Ood mourned his passing with a bit of a sing-song (sadly not 'For He's A Jolly Good Fellow'). The change into Matt Smith occurred once The Doctor clambered back inside his Tardis after visiting Rose back in 2005.

Last words: "I don't want to go!"

THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR
First words: "Aaargh! Legs! I've still got legs. Good. Arms, hands, ooh fingers, lots of fingers. Ears, eyes, nose, I've had worse. Chin, blimey. Hair! I'm a girl! No! No, I'm not a girl… and still not ginger! There's something important, I'm… I'm… crashing! Haha! Woohoo! Geronimooooo!"

We'll have to wait until spring to see what delights the new era of Doctor Who has in store for us. But as with every regeneration, the end is just the beginning…
Best last words for me 3rd & 9th Doctors.
First words wise have to say I quite like the 11th's when compared to all the rest
Old 06-01-2010, 09:53   #1089
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

That Digi-Spy article is rubbish, without the actual names of the Doctor's I lost track of who played the character.

Roy@Flickr
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26   #1090
General Zod
Kryptonian

In order: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:50   #1091
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

so we never saw the 8th doctor then?
Old 06-01-2010, 13:09   #1092
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
so we never saw the 8th doctor then?
eh ? never saw him what ? We never saw him regenerate into Nine as he only appeared in the TV movie - is this what you meant ?
Old 06-01-2010, 13:13   #1093
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Regenerate? No. He was only on screen for the TV movie, and sailed off quite happily at the end of that. He presumably met his demise while/after escaping the Time War, immediately prior to Rose; this period was RTD's to expand on if he wanted to (and it was often rumoured that he would), but I guess he chose not to bother.

There are assorted audios and books about the eighth, but I have no idea if any of those touch on the subject. Maybe Moffat will pick up on it at some point, but for now he's more likely to get a bit of distance from the last few years rather that rummage around in RTD's leftovers.
Old 06-01-2010, 13:25   #1094
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post
Regenerate? No. He was only on screen for the TV movie, and sailed off quite happily at the end of that. He presumably met his demise while/after escaping the Time War, immediately prior to Rose; this period was RTD's to expand on if he wanted to (and it was often rumoured that he would), but I guess he chose not to bother.

There are assorted audios and books about the eighth, but I have no idea if any of those touch on the subject. Maybe Moffat will pick up on it at some point, but for now he's more likely to get a bit of distance from the last few years rather that rummage around in RTD's leftovers.
Yeah, we could hope to see McGann in a plot that returned Gallifrey I guess. I had hoped we'd see him in these specials via a flashback of some sort. I assume Ecclestone would never come back even just to film a small regeneration scene.
Old 06-01-2010, 17:55   #1095
Guest 586
Meldrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Hmmm disappointing, but as other have said, [Murray Gold] does some good stuff. I really like Martha's theme...
Ditto. The "Doctor Forever" is another favourite of mine.

I never thought that much of Gold's work until I heard a stack of it live at the Doctor Who Prom, where it blew me away (the sight of the Albert Hall Gallery featuring actors suffocating in Ood suits had a similar effect ). I'm not sure that much needs changing, if anything: the problems lie in the mixing and volume-to-eleven overuse, not the score itself. Music that had annoyed me in the series sounded fine in isolation ("All the Strange, Strange Creatures" was another Who Prom highlight).
Old 06-01-2010, 20:11   #1096
mullethead
Hold the S, I am an ain't

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
In order: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith.

Old 07-01-2010, 23:04   #1097
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Anti-Ginger
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sho...nger_Remarks__
Old 07-01-2010, 23:12   #1098
thescrounger
Trusted User

"This was a reprise of the line in the Christmas Invasion episode in 2005, when David Tennant discovers that he's not ginger, and here he is, missing out again - disappointed he's still not ginger."

Probably not the best idea to carry on a joke that nobody remembers from 5 years ago anyway, or wasn't even funny the first time.
Old 07-01-2010, 23:30   #1099
Guest 586
Meldrew

Thought it was a good joke, especially when they turned it on its head with the Doc's next line.

Our American counterparts must be baffled when they read about this! (Unless they've been following Eric Cartman's lead of late.)
Old 07-01-2010, 23:31   #1100
Guest 586
Meldrew

And does Doctor Who get accused of sexism for No.11's "I'm a girl?!" panic? I demand equal opportunity outrage.
Closed Thread