Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Notices

Old 16-10-2019, 10:35   #1
mburton2
Trusted User

Anybody on "Three" network use wifi-calling?

Hi,
I'm about to ditch o2 after MANY years of using them, & In a nut-shell, because the promised solution of "wifi-Calling", just doesnt work. (OK, It does, but its even less robust that the old "TuGo" App, & that was pretty dire.

Now, it seems if I want to use Wifi-calling I need to go to one of the bigger players, & not a Virtual-Net work (Although I seem to remember seeing somewhere that one of the piggy-back companies HAS started to offer wifi calling)....
Long & short of it is, I *THINK* I'm going to go to the Three network....but just want to ask the question, does THEIR wifi-calling work robustly?
Old 16-10-2019, 11:07   #2
Bravoman
Trusted User

Hi.

I’m probably not the best person to answer but I’ve been with 3 for a few years now. I haven’t deliberately opted for wi fi calling but I’ve noticed when I make and receive calls it says wi fi calling and I’ve never had a problem since I noticed.

Perhaps somebody with a more technical knowledge will be able to advise better.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:35   #3
mburton2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Hi.

I’m probably not the best person to answer but I’ve been with 3 for a few years now. I haven’t deliberately opted for wi fi calling but I’ve noticed when I make and receive calls it says wi fi calling and I’ve never had a problem since I noticed.

Perhaps somebody with a more technical knowledge will be able to advise better.
Well, If it works without you noticing, then its doing its job well!
I'm often at home, wanting to make a call with no (GSM) Signal, Good Wifi connection & unable to make/receive a call (Except using WhatsAp/Skype/other VoiP). Rebooting the Phone, Turning wifi-calling on/off doesnt make any difference....then all of a sudden it will start to work.

ANOTHER reason to move away from o2, is Wifi-calling only works for calls....not text...& with the secondary-security becoming common place, being able to get text with confirmation codes when ordering stuff on-line, text by wifi calling is now a must (& apparently text come through via wifi, on Three?)

Last edited by mburton2; 16-10-2019 at 11:50. Reason: Added a bit
mburton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:56   #4
aliman5000
Clown X

I am on Three and ergo use wifi calling on the iphone...which works fine most of the time. The only issues I have is sometimes wifi calling just disappears for a bit and then comes back even if I haven't dropped off the wifi network. But never enough of an issue to consider leaving.

That said...the best solution I ever had was a Three home signal booster. A small box that plugged into your router via ethernet and essentially used a portion of your broadband to boost your phone signal. The beauty of this was that the phone treated it as signal rather than a wifi connection, and so as you describe it was perfect for functions outside of calling, like text messages etc.

I don't know if Three still supply these in the advent of wifi calling but they might. And you can probably find one on ebay. They sent me mine free of charge after a few calls to them moaning about signal.
Old 17-10-2019, 06:09   #5
mburton2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
The only issues I have is sometimes wifi calling just disappears for a bit and then comes back even if I haven't dropped off the wifi network. But never enough of an issue to consider leaving.
Thats the bit that concerns me....but with o2, it the other way around...SOMETIMES it'll work, but most of the time not.

Quote:
That said...the best solution I ever had was a Three home signal booster.
a femtocell? (Or whatever its called) I dont *THINK* they do them anymore....but google/ebay is your (my) friend....

Thanks to all for your input thus far.
Old 17-10-2019, 07:08   #6
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,053 Times in 525 Posts
What phone do you have? Any internet chatter about that particular model having issues?

Have been on EE for last decade and have had wifi calling turned on for the last couple of phones, Nexus 6P, Samsung S8... no problems. Some corporate guest and other public wifi will block any unusual traffic.. so it fails there.. but at home it's fine. Now on BT (which is EE) and it's no different to regular EE.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:28   #7
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburton2 View Post
Thats the bit that concerns me....but with o2, it the other way around...SOMETIMES it'll work, but most of the time not.

a femtocell? (Or whatever its called) I dont *THINK* they do them anymore....but google/ebay is your (my) friend....

Thanks to all for your input thus far.

Had a quick check, apparently Three do still offer them and they’re about Ł20 on eBay
Old 17-10-2019, 08:09   #8
mburton2
Trusted User

Quote:
Had a quick check, apparently Three do still offer them and they’re about Ł20 on eBay

I have 4 weeks left on o2....then over to Three (I think) ...
If their wifi-calling works well, Great.....if Not, eBay here I come.....

EDIT

Great timing!...
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50080876

Last edited by mburton2; 17-10-2019 at 08:26. Reason: See "EDIT"
mburton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:17   #9
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburton2 View Post

I have 4 weeks left on o2....then over to Three (I think) ...
If their wifi-calling works well, Great.....if Not, eBay here I come.....

EDIT

Great timing!...
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50080876
Mines still working perfectly. Don’t think it’s a national issue.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:30   #10
mburton2
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
What phone do you have? Any internet chatter about that particular model having issues?

Have been on EE for last decade and have had wifi calling turned on for the last couple of phones, Nexus 6P, Samsung S8... no problems. Some corporate guest and other public wifi will block any unusual traffic.. so it fails there.. but at home it's fine. Now on BT (which is EE) and it's no different to regular EE.
Galaxy S7....no particular issue that I've stumbled upon....
Old 14-11-2019, 14:56   #11
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Im on Three, have one of their signal booster boxes, but still have issues calling the signal is pretty poor and the WiFi calling doesn't seem to be reliable...

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 08:45   #12
hxbro
Trusted User

Can't say I've ever noticed any issues with wifi calling on 3 (using a S8)
hxbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 08:48   #13
mburton2
Trusted User

Thanks Guys....ITs given me a little Hope....I'm sure it cant be any worse than the wifi-calling from o2...
Can you confirm that you can get text's via wifi too?....as required for alot of internet purchases now (onr-time confirmation code)....Thats a MAJOR oversight from o2...