Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 28-10-2019, 12:23   #41
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

more polished and stable than any Bethesda RPG

thats a low bar

This game does not have the same levels of polish and character animation as a game at the same price. Which is fine as the game is great and feels like a RPG game that players actually wants (not some dumbed down fallout 4 experience)

It will be interesting to see the sequel with MS' budget behind it
Old 28-10-2019, 13:12   #42
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Yeah, thatís fair! Theyíre not even pretending that this isnít a Fallout clone, so I was actually kinda taken aback by how smooth it runs and how good it looks in comparison.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 13:39   #43
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

It uses the unreal engine and not the horrible gamebyro/creation engine, so it has big advantage

There is bug in OW, that crashes the game on the last mission, I just had to kill the guy and not talk to the man in there and got passed the crash. Common crash it seems judging by internet search
Old 28-10-2019, 16:08   #44
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Hard mode is tough, once you get to the 1st city, you really have to pick and choose which fights you get into as the pistol is rubbish on hard against a few enemies.

Its always the same, normal is easy but the next difficulty up is like massive step up when ALL the devs do is ramp up the damage you take
Old 28-10-2019, 17:16   #45
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Hard mode is tough, once you get to the 1st city, you really have to pick and choose which fights you get into as the pistol is rubbish on hard against a few enemies.

Its always the same, normal is easy but the next difficulty up is like massive step up when ALL the devs do is ramp up the damage you take
Hardly died at all on hard mode and just reached level 9
You should have dozens of weapons with just a short amount of exploration. By time I competed the main quest in the first city I felt rather op
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:25   #46
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Hardly died at all on hard mode and just reached level 9
You should have dozens of weapons with just a short amount of exploration. By time I competed the main quest in the first city I felt rather op
didn't find any heavier armour or the light machine gun until I got to the power plant as i was getting pistols, melee weapons and clothing

Also I leave this here

Old 29-10-2019, 08:36   #47
ourmatetone

Quote:
It uses the unreal engine and not the horrible gamebyro/creation engine, so it has big advantage

That would explain the occasional texture popping Iíve seen. I was wondering what engine it was using...
Old 01-11-2019, 16:18   #48
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Iím about 20hrs in now & the initial good storytelling & polish has worn off & Iím losing interest fast. Doing all the side missions & getting all the good weapons & making the right story decisions makes combat way too easy on regular difficulty. And as mentioned, switching to Hard goes too far...
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 22:37   #49
ourmatetone

Iím still enjoying it. Biggest problem is the way some of side quests (particularly the companion quests) are spread out throughout the world. Itís pretty much a case of travel to another planet, long loading screen, fast travel to a particular location, long loading screen, complete a very brief task, fast travel back to ship, long loading screen, travel to another planet, long loading screen, etc, etc.

Playing on an Xbox One X too, so imagine itís worse on the standard console.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:57   #50
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
I’m still enjoying it. Biggest problem is the way some of side quests (particularly the companion quests) are spread out throughout the world. It’s pretty much a case of travel to another planet, long loading screen, fast travel to a particular location, long loading screen, complete a very brief task, fast travel back to ship, long loading screen, travel to another planet, long loading screen, etc, etc.

Playing on an Xbox One X too, so imagine it’s worse on the standard console.
Sums up my experience. I’m playing on hard
I’m very much a “leave the main quest til last” player with an RPG and as such have not really done much of the main quest. But I have just reached level 21 and just feel like I’m going through the motions

Levelling up seems to make no difference now.
I’ve never met a lock / hack /dialogue challenge I can not beat. I have more money than can spend and I have an assault rifle that has around 2000 dps and puts down most enemies in a couple of shots

I did find the game a bit challenging when I arrived at monarch and died a fair few times to start with but then found the better weapons and armour and feel rather op

I now have all the companions and working through their quests but think I’m going to max out my level way before the end and even when I do level up it makes very little difference

Last edited by dunkle; 04-11-2019 at 10:07.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30   #51
alsemail
Bibble....

I binned my companions in a bid to make it more challenging and upped the level to hard.

It's still not that much of a challenge though.

I'm overall liking the game but they've misjudged a lot of it IMO.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:14   #52
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Sums up my experience. Iím playing on hard
Iím very much a ďleave the main quest til lastĒ player with an RPG and as such have not really done much of the main quest. But I have just reached level 21 and just feel like Iím going through the motions

Levelling up seems to make no difference now.
Iíve never met a lock / hack /dialogue challenge I can not beat. I have more money than can spend and I have an assault rifle that has around 2000 dps and puts down most enemies in a couple of shots

I did find the game a bit challenging when I arrived at monarch and died a fair few times to start with but then found the better weapons and armour and feel rather op

I now have all the companions and working through their quests but think Iím going to max out my level way before the end and even when I do level up it makes very little difference

Iím only playing it on normal, but itís definitely too easy. Iím level 24, and my companions are still using level 10 gear (itís too much faff to constantly switch out and upgrade). Still breezing through any combat encounter I come across, so it clearly makes no difference.

Iím also going the same approach in primarily focusing on side quests, which is probably why Iím over-levelled.

Despite these quibbles though, itís probably still my game of the year so far (although thatís not saying much, as 2019 has been pretty poor for gaming).
Old 04-11-2019, 20:38   #53
ourmatetone

The Outer Worlds (Multi-format)

Finished it now. Logged playtime was about 23 hours, which is fine as it was beginning to outstay its welcome.

Out of nowhere, the final mission is rock hard. I ended up dying almost immediately. I sunk my 40,000 remaining bits into tinkering my equipment and that gave me the edge I needed.

Thereís also no free roam once the story is over. I wonder if weíll ever get any DLC for it.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 04-11-2019 at 20:40.
Old 04-11-2019, 21:37   #54
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

for the final mission, I had the holo disguise with high speech and it was easy to walk past the guards with a few speech checks. Also a gun in phineas lab that does n rays damage, wipes out most guards
Old 05-11-2019, 11:00   #55
ourmatetone

The Outer Worlds (Multi-format)

Quote:
for the final mission, I had the holo disguise with high speech and it was easy to walk past the guards with a few speech checks. Also a gun in phineas lab that does n rays damage, wipes out most guards

I got the N-ray gun too, which definitely helped. I couldnít find the UDI, so just went into it firing.

Also found a science weapon in Phineasí lab, which started a whole new quest. I didnít bother though, as Iíd made my mind up that I just wanted to finish the game at that point. Shame I didnít discover science weapons sooner, as they sound like they couldíve added some fun and variation to the combat.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 05-11-2019 at 11:01.
Old 07-11-2019, 19:57   #56
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

I wonder if there will be DLC? as 2 planets on the map that can't be visited