Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 29-03-2009, 17:22   #1
gobstopper
Trusted User

QNAP NAS Owners - Can you assist?

I have read a number of NAS posts and while there clearly are cheaper NAS units on the market, the general consensus does seem to be that you get what you pay for (particularly in regards to performance).

With a number of satisfied QNAP customers on this site, I wondered if you could help me to suss out the differences between the varying model numbers?

I'm looking for a unit which will take 2 SATA drives and will allow them to be configured as a RAID1 mirrored array. From my preliminary search, this seems to point me in the direction of the TS-209. However, there appear to be 4 variants of this model - I, II and Pro versions of each. It would seem that some have twice the amount of on-board memory which, as I understand it, allows more of the on-box functions to run in memory rather than relying on the HDD to act in lieu of memory. But above that, I can't seem to work out the difference. I then found a 'comparison' page on the QNAP site, only to find that all of the TS-209 models where listed together - so that didn't help.

My primary function will be shared storage, with media serving coming in a close second. Everything else is a bonus as far as I am concerned. Does this mean that I could get away with a standard TS-209, or should I look at the 'Pro' model or either of the 'II' variants?

Also, would anyone be prepared to venture an opinion on how these would stand up against a Zyxel NSA-220 which as far as I can tell will do pretty much the same job, still requires me to source HDDs separately, but is about Ł50 cheaper (the last time I looked).

Thanks in advance.
gobstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 18:06   #2
wakey99999

I have TS-209 II and it and it works primarily as my media device (which I think is one of your requirements). I upgraded from a TS 109 purely to mirrored capabilities (I have 2 1tb drives mirrored).

The device it self is fantastic, it stores all my photos, all my media (movies etc for playback through the PS3) and I use it as my data store shared on my network. I also use it as a download device from newsgroups using SABNZBD, again this is great.

I went for the II for the addtional processor power and memory as I use it for a number of installed apps (SABNZB being one, there is an email server on it but not got that up and running as yet).

With regards differences, the II and the non-II only differences are mem/cpu power (I would recommond the II as it makes copying faster too). The only difference between the non pro and the pro is the Pro has the ability to interface with AD (I think) so if your not using it in a corporate enviroment then I wouldn't bother.

Hope that helps

Steve
wakey99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 19:55   #3
Guest 4232
Trusted User

I would be very surprised if you need the Pro version, as that allows Active Directory integration, which you won't have at home (if you do then you are more of a geek than me).

As mentioned above, the II has more memory - debatable whether you will need that. I run SlimServer on mine (for my Squeezebox) and newer versions of that are getting larger, so need more memory. If you are just using it for its inbuilt functions then it will be fine going for the original (non-II) version. I guess this will be phased out soon though.

One word of warning, there are known problems with performance when copying files using a mapped drive to/from a PC running Vista. QNAP have not acknowledged this yet, but there is a huge thread on the QNAP forums about it. Peformance is how it should be using FTP. All other functions, such as media streaming, are fine.

I just have the 109 II, with a single drive, as it does not have a fan and hardly makes any noise. You can connect an external drive and it will sync any updates, therefore creating a backup which can be stored elsewhere.
Guest 4232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 19:16   #4
gobstopper
Trusted User

Thanks to you both for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlash View Post
I would be very surprised if you need the Pro version, as that allows Active Directory integration, which you won't have at home (if you do then you are more of a geek than me).
Then I'm afraid that I am...
gobstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 20:29   #5
Guest 19301
XBOX Live : gan03

Theres actually a new model now 219.
Guest 19301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 13:52   #6
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlash View Post
I just have the 109 II, with a single drive, as it does not have a fan and hardly makes any noise. You can connect an external drive and it will sync any updates, therefore creating a backup which can be stored elsewhere.
Is that a function of the firmware, or are you just doing a robocopy/rsync?

Was thinking about upgrading my Maxtor Shared Storage 250GB to a QNAP and assumed I would want a 2-disk one. But if the 109 is near silent and I can sync easily to an external drive, I may well go for that instead.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 20:04   #7
Questor
Pharmatron

Just a 1 touch backup Art - plug in an external drive and press the button!

IIRC you can select in the firmware which folders/shares to backup too
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote