Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 28-04-2020, 19:31   #41
basegreen
neergesab

https://twitter.com/dubasfisher/stat...65684730003457
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 20:34   #42
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:

The Premier League has been warned that it could take only one player testing positive for coronavirus to derail their entire ‘Project Restart’ plan and that they should prioritise health over any financial considerations by simply ending the 2019-20 season.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...erail-premier/
Old 28-04-2020, 20:37   #43
Bravoman
Trusted User

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52462233

FIFA’s Chief Dr warning against a restart.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 20:49   #44
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,172 Posts
Which is a nonsense as the virus doesn’t know which season is being played out. If you are going to lose a season then lose the season you haven’t started FFS
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 20:50   #45
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52462233

FIFA’s Chief Dr warning against a restart.
And using the same flawed logic that assumes next season can start, and will presumably not be thwarted by the inevitable 2nd wave of Covid-19 for the whole of the season, in August.

It is just complete nonsense.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 21:05   #46
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,636 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Which is a nonsense as the virus doesn’t know which season is being played out. If you are going to lose a season then lose the season you haven’t started FFS
Agree 100%.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 21:13   #47
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

The FIFA doctor also contradicts himself ... he wants a good fresh start in August but also only when there is a vaccine.

Which one is it mate cos you can't have both LOL
Old 29-04-2020, 07:07   #48
Bravoman
Trusted User

I didn’t watch the video. But in the article he doesn’t say the season should start in August, he says you shouldn’t be playing during a pandemic. So the season could be very delayed.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 07:26   #49
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,172 Posts
I’d also like to know whether, if the season is cancelled, we will be refunded for games and, if not, whether that will be legally challengeable. I wouldnt pay 70 notes for meaningless friendlies
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:36   #50
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
I’d also like to know whether, if the season is cancelled, we will be refunded for games and, if not, whether that will be legally challengeable. I wouldnt pay 70 notes for meaningless friendlies
That is probably not going to work but I see United and Liverpool have already announced ( last week I think ) that next season's season ticket prices will be discounted by the number of home games left this season
Old 29-04-2020, 11:57   #51
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
I didn’t watch the video. But in the article he doesn’t say the season should start in August, he says you shouldn’t be playing during a pandemic. So the season could be very delayed.
Agreed that the season could be delayed absolutely ages. Therefore I don't really understand the logic of cancelling the current seasons.

France cancelled their season because football cannot start before September.

Now in the UK, you'll have missed a month nearly of the new season, including all the qualifiers for the european which I recall start at some ungodly part of the season, with foreign matches being almost certainly impossible when you've got to head to some far flung country.

The argument seems to be entirely that the season has to end by a certain date and therefore needs mothballing.

The logic is also that a season needs to start on a certain date or not long after it, otherwise the whole thing collapses.

Not that anyone will listen to me in FIFA, but they're not solving a problem by stopping the season, they're creating massive problems for next season.

If we're not all back and sorted by 1 September, we're not playing a football season in Europe next season either.

Come up with 100 clever ways if you like, but you're relying on that all of UEFA are going to come out of lockdown at the same time. In the end any clever idea, will come down to money.

SKY won't be paying for two seasons of PL when it isn't played, players aren't going to accept half wages for 2 years. BT won't accept paying for a shortened CL and clubs will need the prize money and so forth.

Binning off next season will possibly make a whole lot more sense than getting rid of this one. But it's far too soon to tell, ideally we want to see the most amount of football we can with concerns for everyone's safety.

If you can argue Liverpool will have a * by their name if they're awarded this years Championship, how will anyone feel about winning a PL of 24 games?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 14:56   #52
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
That is probably not going to work but I see United and Liverpool have already announced ( last week I think ) that next season's season ticket prices will be discounted by the number of home games left this season
I think there would be a strong legal case for this. If you are erasing games from history then refunds for fans should follow. What about club members, day trippers..imagine some Norwegian has achieved his life's dream of seeing us live at Anfield,spending £1000's in the process only to be told,actually the game didn't happen...
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 15:47   #53
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Loving this idea that popped up on Twitter somewhen today ...

One of the issues with just taking the current league positions is that 4 teams have a game in hand so we should scrub out the results of game week 28, as that is when Arsenal, Villa, Sheffield United and Man City did not play.

The fact that doing so would make Liverpool undefeated is entirely irrelevant I think it would also relegate Watford and West Ham, so added bonuses.

LOL
Old 29-04-2020, 15:56   #54
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
I think there would be a strong legal case for this. If you are erasing games from history then refunds for fans should follow. What about club members, day trippers..imagine some Norwegian has achieved his life's dream of seeing us live at Anfield,spending £1000's in the process only to be told,actually the game didn't happen...
There's also a strong legal case to get money back for a flight that didn't take off to go to a country that won't let you in because your hotel is closed, but there doesn't appear to be much money coming back from travel companies.

Not saying I disagree with you, just that plenty of businesses are hiding behind the "exceptional circumstances" defence.
Old 30-04-2020, 09:37   #55
jpig
Trusted User

So the idea of the thread was to throw ideas around for the how as well as the why. It seems most people think we should get this season done, but with only a few ways of actually doing it.

Is it simply going to be a case of "wait until we can play again and then just carry on"? Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it does carry with it problems too: if a club is about to get relegated from the PL but have got to wait around for six months before it's confirmed, what they point in them paying big money players in the interim? Might as well get rid now, let contracts expire and save some money for next season. The remainder of the season just becomes a different season anyway.

I still think the best solution would be for City to concede, scrap relegation and promote all teams so we play in a bigger division and then when we come back, start with a new season.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:54   #56
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

What? Promote all teams that have a chance of promotion or the playoffs? As they'll have all spent three quarters of a season and a lot of money on trying to get up....
Old 30-04-2020, 10:55   #57
statto
Jedi Master

1. Give the league title to those currently in first place in their respective divisions.

2. Give promotion to the top two teams in each division.

3. Scrap all relegations, with five teams relegated from each division next season.

This seems like a no-brainer to me.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:03   #58
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post

of course I realise that. As does everyone else who is in favour of carrying on. If it comes down to 12 months of BCD football and no football ever again WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE PROPOSING then everyone will pick BCD every time.
I never said that, you're saying that because you dont seem to think there will be a vaccine; if there isn't then there is a lot more to worry about that football.

Having football back anytime soon is ludicrous, its got nothing to do with who's team i support. It should end now with Villa being relegated, i could moan about that as we've played less games but football is not important until its safe.

Have Liverpool fans even considered that the players might be worried about their health? They might not actually want to play?

As someone put on twitter..
"There are OVER 400 games left to play across England’s top 4 divisions..." Its not all about the PL all those other divisions and games have an impact on the PL.

Last edited by Jez; 30-04-2020 at 11:08.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:47   #59
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
1. Give the league title to those currently in first place in their respective divisions.

2. Give promotion to the top two teams in each division.

3. Scrap all relegations, with five teams relegated from each division next season.

This seems like a no-brainer to me.
Something like that, yes.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 12:45   #60
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I never said that, you're saying that because you dont seem to think there will be a vaccine; if there isn't then there is a lot more to worry about that football.

Having football back anytime soon is ludicrous, its got nothing to do with who's team i support. It should end now with Villa being relegated, i could moan about that as we've played less games but football is not important until its safe.

Have Liverpool fans even considered that the players might be worried about their health? They might not actually want to play?

As someone put on twitter..
"There are OVER 400 games left to play across England’s top 4 divisions..." Its not all about the PL all those other divisions and games have an impact on the PL.
I never said there wouldn't be a vaccine just that the general consensus seems to be it is at least 12 months away.

If that is true and you are arguing for no football until then ... half the league teams will not be around to resume. Heck, there are probably 3/4 teams even in the Premier League who would go bust if they received no income for 12 months.