Star Trek: Discovery - season 2 (January) - Page 3 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 18-01-2019, 21:17   #41
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I absolutely loved the first episode. It was exciting and it was FUN. Plus, it gave us a good deal of characterisation - I really liked Pike and finally the bridge crew are starting to feel like actual people. I really appreciated the humour, and both Tilly and Saru are a joy to have back. Burnham continues to be an awkward protagonist, but (having just rewatched season 1) I'm fairly invested in her.

The quality of the visuals on screen is just stunning.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:06   #42
Taq
Evil Scientist

Great to have it back! Season 1 had some pretty low lows, but some amazing highs too. Hopefully season 2 can build on it.
Old 20-01-2019, 10:29   #43
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,101 Times in 494 Posts
The special effect budget must have increased as it looked much nicer (not that it was bad before) Also it felt more recent movie look than s1

But the humour felt forced and Tilly is very cringey with her "humour" imo. Until they did the bit were they introduced themself, I thought it was not great but then on it got better. Pike seems decent captain, guessing they are going to have new captain for s3?
Old 20-01-2019, 10:42   #44
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

It was very enjoyable but just seemed like they went from one action set piece to another.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:52   #45
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

I'm still not convinced that they shouldn't ditch the MB character it just slows everything down when they focus on her.

She is not IMHO very well written, first episode S1 she is ready to uneash hell on the Klingons to show strength and hopefully prevent a war. By the end of S2 she is lecturing Admirals on the ethics of bombing Kronos into nothing in a last ditch attempt to save humanity because at that point the Klingons are just wiping the floor with us.

S2 she is the focus again, I wonder if she had a fling with Spock?

They should switch Captains each season this season it should all be Pike who seems a good character and is being played well reminded me of the old Captain Kirk from TOS show

Effects wise it did look very Kelvin movie-ish, and more people in the halls that we ever saw on a day to day basis on the other ship based shows.

Tilly needs to be dialled down a bit, back to the level she was at the end of S2

Nice to see that they are throw a few conventions to one side I thought that girl in Red would be the one to go during the trip to the Asteroid.

Anyone see that guy in the wheelchair? I wonder if that was a slight nod to Pikes future?
Spaceranger2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:59   #46
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
I'm still not convinced that they shouldn't ditch the MB character it just slows everything down when they focus on her.

She is not IMHO very well written, first episode S1 she is ready to uneash hell on the Klingons to show strength and hopefully prevent a war. By the end of S2 she is lecturing Admirals on the ethics of bombing Kronos into nothing in a last ditch attempt to save humanity because at that point the Klingons are just wiping the floor with us.
That's her character arc. She changes and realises how wrong she was. The dialogue is along the lines of "one year ago I decided that our survival was more important than our principles - I was completely wrong."

I agree she is quite poorly written, though, and it would be nice if the focus wasn't so much on her.
Old 20-01-2019, 12:23   #47
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
That's her character arc. She changes and realises how wrong she was. The dialogue is along the lines of "one year ago I decided that our survival was more important than our principles - I was completely wrong."
Indeed
Old 20-01-2019, 12:31   #48
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

I agree she is quite poorly written, though, and it would be nice if the focus wasn't so much on her.
Perhaps I find her objectionable because I am of the view; what are the point of starfleet principles if there is no one left to share them. The way she is written she would gladly see humanity wiped from exisitance. Its no wonder they have a need for Section 31, like Sloan said to Bashir " You're also the reason Section Thirty one exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong"
Old 20-01-2019, 14:20   #49
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
The special effect budget must have increased as it looked much nicer (not that it was bad before) Also it felt more recent movie look than s1

But the humour felt forced and Tilly is very cringey with her "humour" imo. Until they did the bit were they introduced themself, I thought it was not great but then on it got better. Pike seems decent captain, guessing they are going to have new captain for s3?
Pike is definitely temporary; Discovery was on its way to picking up its new Vulcan(?) captain when it got the call from the Enterprise.

Loved all the nods to TOS when Burnham
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:54   #50
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Loved all the nods to TOS when Burnham
They even used the classic light/shadow on her face!
Old 20-01-2019, 16:08   #51
Apostate
Trusted User

It's watchable enough but at best this is mediocre Trek. Michael Burnham is not very interesting and stiffly acted - Jason Isaacs' Lorca was easily the best thing about it last season hopefully Anson Mount can step up.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:54   #52
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Is this set in the Prime, Kelvin or Gillette timeline?
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 13:08   #53
zantarous

It's Prime, Discovery is set prior to time line diverging.
Old 21-01-2019, 14:47   #54
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Decent S2 Opener. The FX & production values are ridiculously good for TV. Anson is a great Pike & already adds some much needed charisma to the show, that the other main actors are lacking...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 15:30   #55
oldskool
Trusted User

The thing that still annoys me about Discovery is that besides Burnam, Saru, Stammets and Tilly....I still don't know who anybody is...like that woman on the bridge who looks a bit like Nebula...she's there in every episode....who the **** is she? Lieutenant Commander something or other as stated in the first episode of season 2 in a blink and you'll miss it introduction to everyone
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 20:44   #56
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

^ Indeed. That's probably why they did the round the bridge name check, just to tell us all that they do have names. Shame they don't have any back-stories though.
Compare the number of Data-centric stories we had in the first season of ST:TNG and compare that to what-its-face robot on the bridge.

Aside from that, I liked Pike. Anson Mount looks completely different to his grizzled cowboy engineer from Hell on Wheels.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:21   #57
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
Do people actually like Tilly? Because for me she's just plain irritating and annoying.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:27   #58
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Do people actually like Tilly? Because for me she's just plain irritating and annoying.
I don't mind her, she actually seems like the most real person that has been on a Trek show. Someone who isn't perfect and knows everything about everything. They could tone her down a bit but I do find her endearing.

I got talk to the actress for a couple of minutes at a Trek con and she come across down to earth and polite.
Old 21-01-2019, 21:40   #59
Taq
Evil Scientist

Tilly was great during the mirror universe episodes, but they seemed to have regressed her character a bit in S2 ep1 which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully just a blip.
Old 21-01-2019, 22:20   #60
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Tilly does seem rather redundant,

Stamets and the new comedian they found on the asteroid are engineering
Saru Science/first officer
Android thing does who knows what
Comms Guy
Helm girl with the eye and the head piece
The other girl who sits next to the helm girl

No replacement for the doctor as yet, which is a shame as I though the one they had was quite good. Of all the people they could have killed off

Tilly and Burham have no defined stations yes Tilly does engineering stuff but do we need three engineers?

At the moment we have had little development of any of the other characters which is a shame, given the number of writers, money and the fact we have no big egos amongst the actors yet you'd have thought the others would be better written and have more to say