How many Joker movies do we need? 3 apparently - Joaquin Phoenix to star in prequel - Page 3 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 03-02-2020, 23:16   #41
Shingster
Trusted User

I don't know about you lot, but I'm gonna sleep a little easier tonight know Joaquin Phoenix is going to cure racism across the world. Loved his BAFTA speech, he's ashamed that he's part of the problem, but he's not gonna turn down that award despite it not being a fair playing field with no people of colour nominated. You go Phoenix!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:42   #42
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I don't know about you lot, but I'm gonna sleep a little easier tonight know Joaquin Phoenix is going to cure racism across the world. Loved his BAFTA speech, he's ashamed that he's part of the problem, but he's not gonna turn down that award despite it not being a fair playing field with no people of colour nominated. You go Phoenix!
Not sure this is the right thread for this but, I really don't get the majority of complaints about a fair amount of people of colour, or fair amount of women, or transgender, or disabled, or Asian people being nominated for awards.
It's a vastly straight white male industry, surely the vast majority of movies being nominated will be by straight white males.
Good movies and bad movies.
I bet there's no complaining that the same discrepancies are in place for the Razzies.

Are there any people in particular that you think should have been included that were obviously overlooked solely because of their race, sex, able-bodiness, or sexual orientation?
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 23:55   #43
Shingster
Trusted User

My comment is towards the hypocrisy of Phoenix's speech, not the lack of representation in the category. He was the one making a big deal about the lack of representation at the awards, not me.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:15   #44
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatners Wig View Post
Are there any people in particular that you think should have been included that were obviously overlooked solely because of their race, sex, able-bodiness, or sexual orientation?
It was the same at the Oscars that year, nobody could really point to any actors who'd been missed. Will Smith put on a dodgy accent and the lads from Straight Outta Compton were about all they could come up with.

I suppose the argument that it's then a wider issue of the lack of opportunity, which is fair comment I think.

But the real problem is that the nominees are decided by the members, I believe there were loads of movies for them to watch. Are you really going to sit through all of them to pick the best one? Are you even qualified to judge?

Hence the Joker rises to the top because you've seen it or at least heard about the excellent acting.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58   #45
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
I see he also tied himself to London Bridge to try and get people to turn Vegan. He's a bit of a narcissist isn't he?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 13:57   #46
cliff homewood
Trusted User

An actor a Narcissist? Never!
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 14:38   #47
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
An actor a Narcissist? Never!
Why; when I read this comment it was as if Robert De Niro was saying it.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:48   #48
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
While Phoenix was great in the role its typical of these rich actors to be smug and be moralise everyone else but does not turn down the awards. Its like Lewis Hamilton who made millions and million of pounds from driving a big polluting car around a track, buys a private jet then has the nerve to tell people to be more eco friendly and be vegan etc. What a ****

Its very much white guilt with "oscars so white", there is wider issue of the lack of opportunity for non white people. I have not seen Parasite but added to my list of films to watch. Black panther was nominated for all these oscars(?) and won some when it was just "oh look we old white people are not racist, look 5 awards for these popular marvel film that its just ok"