Game Of Thrones S8: 14th April (spoilers) - Page 57 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 27-05-2019, 10:26   #1121
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,101 Times in 494 Posts
Sure Yara greyjoy said she would support Jon and dany if the iron islands would become independent, sure thats from s7
Old 27-05-2019, 10:35   #1122
Taq
Evil Scientist

Ah sorry misread the original post.
Old 27-05-2019, 11:01   #1123
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Sure Yara greyjoy said she would support Jon and dany if the iron islands would become independent, sure thats from s7
Neither of them are in charge to honour that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 27-05-2019, 11:36   #1124
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
Yeah that agreement was with Dany, and she's dead.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:00   #1125
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Anyone seen the documentary yet, is it worth a watch?
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 15:02   #1126
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Yes it is a behind the scenes documentary running about 1 hour 48 minutes. It is not a making of or talking heads type documentary. There are some real gems in there like seeing Kit’s reaction during the table read to what he does to Dany or his speech about how much the show has meant to him. I think it gives you an appreciation just how many people were involved and how much it meant and took out of all of them. It is great to see the people behind the scenes really get the credit they deserve right down to the extras. Don’t go in expecting a making of doc though...

Last edited by JohnMac; 27-05-2019 at 15:03.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 17:36   #1127
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Its a nice behind the scenes, the scene where Kitt is giving his speech while getting emotional is nice as it he loved being in the show and meant a lot to him. Also good to see the production staff getting some credit for all their hard work and late nights. hopefully the production studio gets a lot more work

A still think its a shame the season was just rushed as D&D want their star wars money (s7 was a little rushed by it was not as bad as this season) The actor who plays varys was not impressed by the script read!
Old 27-05-2019, 17:39   #1128
ascender
Trusted User

Just watching the documentary one now, its called The Last Watch in case anybody else has the misfortune to be using the atrocious Now TV app on Apple TV.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 19:18   #1129
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Just watching the documentary one now, its called The Last Watch in case anybody else has the misfortune to be using the atrocious Now TV app on Apple TV.
Yes that would include me.

I think this documentary has helped to solidify the view for me that now was the right time to end Game of Thrones. As somebody pointed out in the documentary, they have tried to outdo themselves season after season and they had really reached the limits of what could reasonably be expected to be achieved on a TV show.

Also you see the criticism a lot that the show runners wanted to end it quickly so they could get their Star Wars payday - like its some sort of magic bullet argument that you just canít argue with. If it takes 595 days between the season 7 finale (27 August 2017) and the season 8 premiere (14 April 2019) and this is them rushing to end it quickly, then Iím glad they didnít take their time.

One other thing about the finale that I donít think anyone has mentioned yet. We see some green shoots emerging from the snow north of the wall at the end. Iíve seen a YouTube video claiming that this is an easter egg for ĎA Dream of Springí. Well maybe it is but it is also much more than that. A few years back I remember reading that by the time it ends we will be told about why the seasonís last as long as they do and that there is a magical dimension to them. Sure, we know that the Children of the Forest created the Night King and he doesnít bring the storm, he is the storm. With the Night King now defeated and even the magic protecting the Wall searingly neutralised as well it is likely that the land north of the Wall will become green. You might be thinking that this bit of reasoning is a bit of a stretch but remember this very important point, when we see the man turned into the Night King it happened in a lush green environment with the same arrowhead shaped mountain in the background that is now north of the Wall, exactly where the Night King was waiting. So it stands to reason that with the magic-based curse lifted that north of the wall will soon become green again and those north of the Wall wonít have to suffer harsh winter conditions for much longer.
Old 27-05-2019, 20:54   #1130
Shingster
Trusted User

A show shouldn't be about spectacle and having to "outdo themselves season upon season" a show should be written well and develop the characters properly first, and then worry about the more epic beats. Season 8 of GoT was 80% empty spectacle signifying nothing, 15% cringeworthy dialogue and crowdpleasing scenes where groups of characters gather together and swear a lot, and roughly 5% character development. It was so badly rushed and devolved the series to just a sequence of rather meaningless battle episodes that dragged on forever, that when the big twist came about in episode 5, it just fell flat for many, many viewers.

Having read through this thread JohnMac I've noticed that you've spent most of it moaning about YouTube and forum complainers, and you're mostly right about the sense of entitlement and over-the-top rage that seethes out of the internet these days, but at the end of the day Game of Thrones was an extremely loved show, and while there were always people whining about it from the start, no season of the show has ever came in for anywhere near the level of flak that this last season has received, and I find that extremely telling - even if it was the last season and destined to let some viewers down.

For me personally, I have to say season 8 was easily the weakest of the series, but it was still outrageously entertaining and just an astonishing work of large-scale TV production, and I'm quite happy with how it all ended. Episode 05 was the only total stinker of the season for me and this would not have been the case had that twist been properly developed and Cersei's fate been given much thought. Ultimately it doesn't matter though because I loved the show, thought it was always good fun, and I have the books to see the story and characters developed properly, so I can forgive the failings of the final season.

Last edited by Shingster; 27-05-2019 at 20:58.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 21:32   #1131
Donkey Dave
PS3 & Vita BKVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Anyone seen the documentary yet, is it worth a watch?
I thought the documentary was average, hardly any behind the scene footage of Lena Headey, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Peter Dinklage, but plenty of footage of the the tuck shop proprietor!
The best bits were the cast read through,focussing on the actors who were reading about their imminent deaths, footage of Kit after filming his final scene, and the throwback to the very first cast reading.
Old 27-05-2019, 21:49   #1132
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Dave View Post
I thought the documentary was average, hardly any behind the scene footage of Lena Headey, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Peter Dinklage, but plenty of footage of the the tuck shop proprietor!
The best bits were the cast read through,focussing on the actors who were reading about their imminent deaths, footage of Kit after filming his final scene, and the throwback to the very first cast reading.
Yeah I agree. Was ok but seemed to miss access to a lot of the cast. Emilia Clarke seemed to be the only one who really allowed the cameras to film her for any length of time which was a shame. Itís no LOTR doc.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 07:25   #1133
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

There is no "magic bullet argument" regarding the Star Wars payday. No idea why there was no GOT season in 2018 but its not like they needed 2 years for 6 episodes

Also not all the YT and internet comments is just "clickbait hate", despite what some think. The show has been such high standard since the start and their honest opinion of the last season quality has dropped. just because some loved s8 does not mean everyone else is wrong
Old 28-05-2019, 07:57   #1134
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Not really though, it's like anything else nowadays. They get the internet opinion that something isn't popular then coming up with stupid ways to prove it. You either enjoy something or you don't, but if you don't you can't just not like it, you've got to pull it apart.

You could pull the whole series apart if you wanted, but people don't because they liked the other series.

Start from the first episode. How are there Direwolves south of the wall? Did they climb it? Magic themselves over? Just a lazy plothole so the Stark kids could run around with a big dog.

But we don't, because we liked the first series. TBH I liked the last series, loads of plot holes and pacing issues. But it is what it is.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 09:48   #1135
ascender
Trusted User

I thought the documentary was quite interesting, but agree that it could have been so much more.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 10:22   #1136
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
If it takes 595 days between the season 7 finale (27 August 2017) and the season 8 premiere (14 April 2019) and this is them rushing to end it quickly, then Iím glad they didnít take their time.
errr... I think you misunderstand the whole argument (Shingster's reply nails it).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 10:22   #1137
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Having read through this thread JohnMac I've noticed that you've spent most of it moaning about YouTube and forum complainers...
Yes I do have issues with YouTube but I wouldnít agree that Iíve spent most of the thread moaning.

When I was originally invited to join these forums it really did seem like a different place. It was a community where like minded people could share in the enjoyment of their hobby. Perhaps it is a sign of the times and reflects trends in the wider Internet so if trying to inject positivity into the debate of my hobby, or offering alternative viewpoints to negativity is moaning then maybe you are right.

I have been thinking for a while whether my time can be used more wisely. I think I do need to take a step back from these types of discussions because they really arenít contributing to the enjoyment of my hobby; not in the way they used to. Lifeís too short to keep inflicting negativity on yourself. Game of Thrones is a TV series made for our entertainment and enjoyment. I like to see the good in things and not find the cloud in any silver lining. If that makes me a moaner then sure, whatever.
Old 28-05-2019, 11:52   #1138
basegreen
neergesab

I think it boils down to people having a sense of expectation and entitlement.

*this series should end how I want it to*
*my fan theory about character X must be right as I've read millions of comments*

We dont all have perfectly plotted lives. Sometimes we just get crushed in a ill timed collapse of masonry caused by a mad queen on a dragon.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 12:21   #1139
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
It's like they've forgotten about GoT and what it's like, major characters do die off, do unexpected things. Overall it was a satisfying ending.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 16:18   #1140
Taq
Evil Scientist

Indeed. When Rob Stark died no one complained about his character arc. It was all 'oohh, how daring!'