Game Of Thrones S8: 14th April (spoilers) - Page 55 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 21-05-2019, 11:18   #1081
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I thought it was as well, I thought there would be a bit more division with it though. I'd be like, "hang on how come all his family get a vote?"
That wasn't democracy. The democracy funny bit was the idea of the people choosing their leaders.
Old 21-05-2019, 15:05   #1082
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

I would like to address a few issues that have been raised. I am not trying to 'defend' Game of Thrones, I am just genuinely happy with it and give my thoughts on a few of these contentious issues and maybe they will strike a chord with you or maybe they won't.

On one last note Ramin Djawadi has composed some fabulous music for Game of Thrones. The last time I really got into TV soundtrack music like this was with Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica soundtracks which are also awesome. The last 8 tracks from the Season 8 soundtrack are just from the finale.

Last edited by JohnMac; 21-05-2019 at 15:07.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 15:45   #1083
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Also Varys plot last ep, was writing to someone but that never went anywhere, same with Ayra's faces (that was forgotten about)

spoilers btw

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co..._in_episode_6/

The show runners? they wanted to kill the show off as mentioned numerous times
Except he probably sent those messages to all the remaining Lords, hence them all being up to speed in the Dragonpit scene.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 21-05-2019, 16:36   #1084
Taq
Evil Scientist

It would be interesting to re-watch the Danny scenes knowing what we know now, to see how that changes the perception of her.
Old 21-05-2019, 17:14   #1085
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
It would be interesting to re-watch the Danny scenes knowing what we know now, to see how that changes the perception of her.
I’ve watched the first episode again and when Viserys says to Daenerys “You don’t want to wake the dragon do you?” it has a whole new meaning.

I was also watching for King Robert’s curse, i.e. the Starks he touches when arriving at Winterfell all die while the others do survive.

Last edited by JohnMac; 21-05-2019 at 17:24.
Old 21-05-2019, 17:28   #1086
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,101 Times in 494 Posts
The one time you agree with Bran from r/freefolk

Hopefully the true story will come out of the final 2 seasons of the show, quite a few of the cast were disappointed before the finale aired
Old 21-05-2019, 18:10   #1087
Apostate
Trusted User

I've no problem with the fates of the main characters - Sansa always liked being a queen, Ayra was a tomboy and Jon's heart was with the Wildlings. But the writing in the finale was excrutiatingly bad - the choose a ruler scene and the Hand's council were partcularly awful. I felt sorry for the fine actors that are Peter Dinklage and Liam Cunninghan having to utter such dross.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:13   #1088
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Only think I found a little odd was why Sansa insisted on independence when her actual brother was being promoted to the throne. Anyone else see that as selfish? Would Warden of the North not been enough that she chose Queen instead?
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:31   #1089
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Only think I found a little odd was why Sansa insisted on independence when her actual brother was being promoted to the throne. Anyone else see that as selfish? Would Warden of the North not been enough that she chose Queen instead?
I do agree with you about this. You have a Stark ruling the six kingdoms, another Stark ruling the north, Jon presumably being king beyond the wall and Arya being queen of the high seas or whatever land she finds.

I’m still not sure if Bran played the game of thrones better than anyone else. He was the one who insisted they had to tell Jon about his lineage which ultimately resulted in Dany and Jon being taken out of the picture. The best way to get power is to say you don’t want it. He surely must have seen what would happen. He knew he would be offered the role and that is why he travelled all the way down from Winterfell.

As I said in my first post after watching the finale, he also told Theon he was a good man, knowing he would give his life and buy him those few extra seconds for Arya to save him.

Or you could just take it that he didn’t know and he really didn’t want to rule either. I like that there is that ambiguity of interpretation about it.
Old 21-05-2019, 21:03   #1090
Torf
PSN : Torf

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
They could've done with a "Two months later" caption. Unclear that the more fringe members of the meeting would even know who Bran was, never mind actually accept him as a leader.
Beard.
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 06:53   #1091
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
The one time you agree with Bran from r/freefolk

Hopefully the true story will come out of the final 2 seasons of the show, quite a few of the cast were disappointed before the finale aired
Can we not just leave out this conspiracy nonsense? You know full well that the headline you've posted is completely out of context and nothing more than click bait. You didn't enjoy how it ended? Fine but why try and ruin it for those that did enjoy it?
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 08:33   #1092
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,033 Posts
Hood - could any post on here really 'ruin' the show for you ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 09:17   #1093
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Hood - could any post on here really 'ruin' the show for you ?
No. I didn't make my point very well at all. I meant to ruin any conversation about it. I just think that it is good to have conversation about what's good and what's not without having to prove that your own opinion is fact by sharing made up nonsense about how people involved in the show hated it as well. Pretty much every Star Wars thread is like that now.
Anyway, I've derailed the thread even more now.

Back to the final episode. Looking back, the part that doesn't sit right me for me is the point made by FatBloke and JohnMac above. I have no issue with Sansa wanting the north to become officially independent again as it is more than clear from the entire series that the north already are more or less independent already. The problem was that nobody protested at all or demanded the same for their own kingdoms. Why would the likes of Meereen happily allow the north to go their own way and continue to be ruled by others? This in particular gives a good reason for why they should have had a couple more episodes. But maybe they thought that after a big climactic episode having two or three episodes of politicking would feel like a damp squib.

Last edited by Hood; 22-05-2019 at 09:29.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:01   #1094
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Well half the time everyone seems to fall back on rules and traditions, then other times they seem to just make things up. When Sansa said that surely one of the answers was

"Since when did you speak for the North?"
"I thought we selected Jon Snow to be our King"
"Oh look, turns out Bran is still alive and is a man, and apparently now also the King, so maybe lets hear what he has to say on the matter."

Then they went down with Jon Snow as the King, they come back and Sansa has just decided she is their Queen.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 11:33   #1095
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Well half the time everyone seems to fall back on rules and traditions, then other times they seem to just make things up. When Sansa said that surely one of the answers was

"Since when did you speak for the North?"
"I thought we selected Jon Snow to be our King"
"Oh look, turns out Bran is still alive and is a man, and apparently now also the King, so maybe lets hear what he has to say on the matter."

Then they went down with Jon Snow as the King, they come back and Sansa has just decided she is their Queen.
As has been said her becoming Queen could have been subject of an extra episode or two maybe along with Jon's capture. It was all too rushed.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 11:58   #1096
douglasb
Suedehead.

I have SERIOUS doubts that Jon would've lived through assassinating Dany.

All her soldiers - "Where's the boss?"

Jon - "Oh, she said she was popping out for milk. Will be back in a bit."
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 12:02   #1097
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
I have SERIOUS doubts that Jon would've lived through assassinating Dany.

All her soldiers - "Where's the boss?"

Jon - "Oh, she said she was popping out for milk. Will be back in a bit."
"She's gone off somewhere with Drogon"

He'd have blurted it out as soon as someone asked

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 22-05-2019, 12:30   #1098
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
I'd have denied all knowledge.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 13:53   #1099
lentini
now with added cymbals

He knows nothing
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 16:19   #1100
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,101 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Can we not just leave out this conspiracy nonsense? You know full well that the headline you've posted is completely out of context and nothing more than click bait. You didn't enjoy how it ended? Fine but why try and ruin it for those that did enjoy it?
What a load of crap, Also I never said I hated the ended, just disappointed how rushed it was. Also I'm not trying to ruin for everyone else