Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52   #21
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.
 
hookbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Beverley, UK
Posts: 9,091
Thanks: 90
Thanked 199 Times in 132 Posts
I can't see that myself. You could call it 10 in the code and put a number 9 on the box. No end user would ever know.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45   #22
mjr
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 2,477
Thanks: 471
Thanked 126 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I can't see that myself. You could call it 10 in the code and put a number 9 on the box. No end user would ever know.
These were linked in the reddit thread, unfortunately it's very plausible - too much code out there trying to parse the OS name string rather than the version number:

https://searchcode.com/?q=indexOf%28%22windows+9%22%29
https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28versi...indows+9%22%29
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:32   #23
LiviLion
Live At The Witch Trials
 
LiviLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,093
Thanks: 126
Thanked 75 Times in 49 Posts
Installed the technical preview in a VM today to see what it's like. Initial thoughts are positive - not having to install a 3rd part start menu is good enough for me. I use 8.1 as it's definitely better than Windows 7 for Direct X gaming, I've seen quite a few extra FPS since upgrading. If 10 can make 8 what it should have been then happy days.
LiviLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56   #24
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,052
Thanks: 940
Thanked 1,310 Times in 652 Posts
I installed it on my laptop the other day. Not a lot has changed from 8.1. They've removed the metro interface completely, got rid of the charms bar and added the start menu. So you can't use it on a tablet or touchscreen as well.

I'd say it's missing too much from 8.1 to use at present. All the UI elements they moved to the 'metro' side of the OS, they've not completely moved back, so the UI is even more muddled than 8.1.

For example, they've introduced a new 'top left of window' menu.. three dots. This is for metro apps in desktop mode. It sits to the right of the current application icon that already exists on the top left of old windows apps.. and is also a menu. Bit of a mess! Also the lack a border around all windows and the excessive window drop shadowing is not attractive.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:15   #25
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle
 
shteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cov
Posts: 6,171
Thanks: 549
Thanked 813 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
I installed it on my laptop the other day. Not a lot has changed from 8.1. They've removed the metro interface completely, got rid of the charms bar and added the start menu. So you can't use it on a tablet or touchscreen as well.

I'd say it's missing too much from 8.1 to use at present. All the UI elements they moved to the 'metro' side of the OS, they've not completely moved back, so the UI is even more muddled than 8.1.

For example, they've introduced a new 'top left of window' menu.. three dots. This is for metro apps in desktop mode. It sits to the right of the current application icon that already exists on the top left of old windows apps.. and is also a menu. Bit of a mess! Also the lack a border around all windows and the excessive window drop shadowing is not attractive.
Have you tried it on a tablet or touchpad? Maybe they've got a different interface if it detects a touch device?
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:16   #26
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
There is an option to have the Windows 8 style start screen. Right click on the button bar thing at the bottom of the screen (I'm completely blanking on what that's called ), goto properties and then go into the start menu tab.

Last edited by ShakeyJake; 04-10-2014 at 16:19.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 16:26   #27
target
Trusted User
 
target's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Loughborough
Posts: 19,192
Thanks: 293
Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Have you tried it on a tablet or touchpad? Maybe they've got a different interface if it detects a touch device?
From what I read of Windows 9 (when it was called that) that's how it's meant to work yeah.
Do you have a touchscreen scooby?
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 18:52   #28
GalaxyBlue
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 581
Thanks: 109
Thanked 130 Times in 76 Posts
I downloaded it as soon as it became available and now have it installed on all my PCs that run Windows.

I really like it - the start menu is fine and it's good that they've kept the right click start menu as well. I still won't use anything in Metro (even on my touchscreen laptop), it's just not my cup of tea.

I checked slmgr and it's time-bombed for April 2015. Still 6 months free software can't be bad.
GalaxyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51   #29
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66
 
Fatbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Deepest Barking
Posts: 9,308
Thanks: 398
Thanked 552 Times in 323 Posts
Have they announced pricing of this yet?
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01   #30
mjr
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 2,477
Thanks: 471
Thanked 126 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Have they announced pricing of this yet?
Back when Microsoft first showed off the new metro start menu around March/April, they announced that would come as a free update for Windows 8 users... but then it got pushed back to a new OS release. Hopefully that means Win 8 users do get a free upgrade path still, but I don't think anything official has been said.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03   #31
target
Trusted User
 
target's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Loughborough
Posts: 19,192
Thanks: 293
Thanked 4,688 Times in 2,067 Posts
I read somewhere that the head of MS Indonesia said it would be free to Windows 8 owners. But again, nothing official has come out of MS HQ.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:12   #32
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 9,052
Thanks: 940
Thanked 1,310 Times in 652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Have you tried it on a tablet or touchpad? Maybe they've got a different interface if it detects a touch device?
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
From what I read of Windows 9 (when it was called that) that's how it's meant to work yeah.
Do you have a touchscreen scooby?
Not on the laptop ive installed it on. On the ms blog post they say its touch features and adaptive UI will be worked on next year. At the moment its desktop focused and aimed at getting enterprise on board.

I brought a 8.1 based tablet the other week... in bargain forum £150

I held off installing WX (short hand for it?) on the tablet... maybe I,ll give it a go.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16   #33
fredfox_uk
Me
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 667
Thanks: 199
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
key stroke logging

Has anyone else seen these reports about the information that is collected and sent back to MS ?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...k-461018.shtml
fredfox_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 19:02   #34
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz
 
paulsaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,460
Thanks: 45
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
It's in testing, of course they're collecting every bit of data they can get. More fool you if you're running it like a finished product and telling MS all your banking, social media and other passwords.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 19:07   #35
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: LONDON
Posts: 10,196
Thanks: 19
Thanked 429 Times in 380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
It's in testing, of course they're collecting every bit of data they can get. More fool you if you're running it like a finished product and telling MS all your banking, social media and other passwords.
Who would be stupid enough to do online banking on a beta version?
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23   #36
fredfox_uk
Me
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 667
Thanks: 199
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
there's people out there using the preview for daily usage, a cheap way of getting windows they must be mad. I've installed it in a VM to have a quick look and test some of the stuff we use at work, but I'd never use it for anything important.
fredfox_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 16:24   #37
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.
 
hookbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Beverley, UK
Posts: 9,091
Thanks: 90
Thanked 199 Times in 132 Posts
I'm seeing lots of rumours that MS may release it as a free update to Win7 and up home users.

I'd be amazed if they do, but to me it seems like a good long term strategy as they get everyone on a base platform to push further products (ie office) to. At the moment there's no reason for anyone on 7 to upgrade, and even less reason for those using 8/8.1.

It'll also allow them to drop home (not corporate) support for 7/8 as 10 is a free upgrade that everyone can use.

The only OS i've actually bought (as opposed to getting with a machine or pirating it) is Win 8 - precisely because at £15 (on release anyway) it was affordable - we have 5 computers in the house and the chances of me spending a grand upgrading were nil. £80 for the lot though ? no problem...
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:55   #38
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle
 
shteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cov
Posts: 6,171
Thanks: 549
Thanked 813 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I'm seeing lots of rumours that MS may release it as a free update to Win7 and up home users.

I'd be amazed if they do, but to me it seems like a good long term strategy as they get everyone on a base platform to push further products (ie office) to. At the moment there's no reason for anyone on 7 to upgrade, and even less reason for those using 8/8.1.

It'll also allow them to drop home (not corporate) support for 7/8 as 10 is a free upgrade that everyone can use.

The only OS i've actually bought (as opposed to getting with a machine or pirating it) is Win 8 - precisely because at £15 (on release anyway) it was affordable - we have 5 computers in the house and the chances of me spending a grand upgrading were nil. £80 for the lot though ? no problem...
Whilst I agree, I can see a lot of people not upgrading as they'd still see no point. A lot of people are still on 8 despite 8.1 being an improvement and also free.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:58   #39
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.
 
hookbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Beverley, UK
Posts: 9,091
Thanks: 90
Thanked 199 Times in 132 Posts
It's not a massive change though. Plus on two of my three installs, the store is knackered and you can't upgrade without a full reformat.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:33   #40
mjr
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 2,477
Thanks: 471
Thanked 126 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
It's not a massive change though. Plus on two of my three installs, the store is knackered and you can't upgrade without a full reformat.
You've probably tried this, but I remember needing to run wsreset.exe to sort out a store problem previously:

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/t...store-problems

(last section)
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading Windows Vista to Windows 7... Decided on Windows 8 - RESOLVED Psycho Computing Forum 26 03-11-2012 17:53
Simple video editor like Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows? King Mustard Computing Forum 1 05-03-2012 08:39
MS Technet: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Beta driver8 Computing Forum 31 28-02-2011 10:44
Windows Home Server / Windows 7 - temporary loss of access to random shared folders? ColinP Computing Forum 5 25-01-2010 21:49
Windows developers : Displaying MDI child windows in a multiple monitor environment pkr Computing Forum 4 04-08-2005 23:08

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network