Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 17:13   #541
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I don't know why, maybe Google have been rubbish at promoting it, but whenever I've heard programs on Five Live talking about tech and streaming you'd think only Spotify and Apple Music every existed!

It's an absolute must try if you're trialling the different services. Everyone has different boxes to tick and personally I think Google Music is the most complete at the moment - you can thumbs up and down every track, unlike most which are just thumbs up and/or on stations only, the mood and genres stations are excellent and artist stations equally. I actually prefer ongoing playlists that adapt to what you're liking/disliking over the curated 30-tracks-to-a-playlist that Apple's seem to be.

It's nowhere near as good as Spotify on the social side (although I believe they've improved that and the playlist sharing recently?), but the only real sticking point for me is the scrobbling. I can't scrobble from the iOS apps, which is a deal breaker for me. There is a 3rd party app, Cloud Play, that does scrobble Google Music plays on iOS, but it's a bit limited (doesn't have all the moods stations, genres, etc).

I'm coming up to the end of my 3 month AM trial and I've not been unimpressed, but I've not been overly impressed either. The app on my iPhone can play silly buggers sometimes, and even with that I can only scrobble music on the phone or stuff I've set to offline listening.

I won't be renewing. I may try Spotify again for a while, or perhaps Tidal when we're back in the UK and I have a more reliable connection.
Thanked once by:
Roy (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 19:13   #542
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

I didn't like Amazon Music much as part of my Prime trial, I found the catalogue too small.

I tried Apple because of what I'd heard about them having the most content and also I know some artists can go exclusive with them before the others, but the Android app isn't brilliant.

Having been trying Google today, I'm having a nightmare downloading stuff, and it isn't limited to one device, I've been on to support but they're not sure what it is yet, I'm thinking it is related to my account somehow because the problem follows it around on every device.

I hope to get it working as I have a vague impression the quality is better on Google than Apple...

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:20   #543
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I don't think there's much in it for sound quality. Google is 320 mp3 and Apple 256 AAC, which is supposed to be pretty much on par (with the Apple files being smaller).

For the best sound you probably want to try Tidal, but you'd need a big SD card in your phone!
Old 05-02-2016, 20:20   #544
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I can't see any point to Tidal if just listening on your phone via headphones. The sound is staggeringly good, but only when streamed to high-end home kit IMO.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 23:25   #545
Bish

I've just tried the Tidal test:
http://test.tidalhifi.com/

I managed to get 4 out of 5 but if I'm being honest there wasn't much in it and I wouldn't say the Hi Def versions stood out that much. So either it's my set up or decades of loud music have taken their toll on my ears. I have a Creative ZX sound card hooked up to a NAD C 352 amp as this drives my AKG headphones better than the Creative ACM unit.
Thanked once by:
Robby (14-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:07   #546
LouBarlow
Retired Member

When listening to Tidal, some of the tracks, they don't own the rights to, on the same album - e.g. Art Brut - Bang, Bang, Rock and Roll - when it plays one flac track and then the next mp3 it is massively noticeable here. I do have good ears though.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44   #547
Roy

Finally got Google downloading reliably so that's good

One annoying thing, unless I'm missing something, you can't browse and album or artist and pick specific tracks to download just by clicking on the track you want? With the Apple app, you select the track and then download, with Google you seem to have to add the track to a playlist first or download the whole album?

What am I missing as this seems like an obvious feature to me?

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 12-02-2016 at 09:48.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:49   #548
douglasb
Suedehead.

(On mobile) If you go to the album, then click on the three dots to the right of the individual track, you get various options including 'add to library'. That allows you to pick out tracks rather than the entire album.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12   #549
Roy

That doesn't add it for offline use though does it? I think it only adds it to your library?

Roy@Flickr
Old 12-02-2016, 13:56   #550
douglasb
Suedehead.

Aye. That might not do it for everyone - you would then need to download it for offline. I tend to just keep adding thing to my library and then only download stuff I am listening to a lot at the time, or if I'm going on a train or something. I do the bulk of my listening on Wi-Fi.

But what you envisage does require an extra step.
Thanked once by:
Roy (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 15:03   #551
Roy

Thanks that's what I thought but glad you confirmed I'd not missed anything obvious

That is an irritating lack of feature, and as ever my quest involves finding something wife-friendly, so if is a lost point to Google in terms of us getting a family subscription (bearing in mind when my wife gets a new phone it resembles that scene with the monkey from 2001 A Space Odyssey ).

Roy@Flickr
Old 14-02-2016, 06:54   #552
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

In case anyone missed it in the bargain thread, Google Music vouchers can be bought as gifts for £5 a month, £25 for three months and £50 for six months, and multiple can be bought - OFFER ENDS 15 FEB.

The same prices seem to apply for US accounts ($5, $25 and $50) as I get offered those when I go to the link with my US Google account.

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/foru...d.php?t=636669

Last edited by Stevie G; 14-02-2016 at 08:52.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:59   #553
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I've just tried the Tidal test:
http://test.tidalhifi.com/
Interesting test, I only got 1 out of 5 correct on that test but 4 out of 6 in this one

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-audio-quality

I think it's really in the realm of the negligible, as long as it doesn't sound a distorted mono mess and you're enjoying what you're listen to then 320kbps or even 128 is sufficient.

It's similar to the 720p vs 1080p debate. There is a difference if you look for it but if you're enjoying the content, music or video, then you're not focused on the "quality".
Old 25-02-2016, 16:39   #554
douglasb
Suedehead.

Spotify moves some of its infrastructure to Google. Suggestions that the Big G is poised to gobble it up:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2016/...-its-true.html
Old 25-02-2016, 17:30   #555
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Would make sense for Google. They have a great product but it doesn't seem to be getting the market share and Spotify has the reputation.
Old 28-02-2016, 13:40   #556
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I've reluctantly just resubscribed to Apple Music, and I don't care what anyone says, the difference in audio quality between lossless and lossy streams is massive. AM sounds muddy and lifeless in comparison. I miss Tidal already
Old 10-03-2016, 13:10   #557
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I've let my three months trial with Apple Music lapse. I prefer Google Music anyway, and being able to nab 18 x one month subs for $4.99 a month a few weeks back was the decider!
Old 13-03-2016, 09:43   #558
ac
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Finally got Google downloading reliably so that's good

One annoying thing, unless I'm missing something, you can't browse and album or artist and pick specific tracks to download just by clicking on the track you want? With the Apple app, you select the track and then download, with Google you seem to have to add the track to a playlist first or download the whole album?

What am I missing as this seems like an obvious feature to me?
I think this is what you're getting at, but just in case. I have a playlist setup that is called "On phone" which is downloaded to my phone, I then just add individual tracks to that and they download automatically.

I used to do similar with the automatic "Thumbs up" playlist, so anything I thumbs up automatically adds itself to that playlist and downloads too, you could do similar with the "Latest added" auto playlist which is (last 500?) things added to your library. This method meant I was getting a lot stored on my phone when I didn't necessarily want to use up all the space for music so the "On phone" setup mentioned above is what I stuck with as it gives that greater level of control and I can add individual tracks or whole albums in the same way.

Downloads, whichever way you do it, are per device so you won't get tracks appearing on your phone if you share the account unless you've explicitly downloaded the playlist on your device too.
ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:13   #559
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I think this is what you're getting at, but just in case. I have a playlist setup that is called "On phone" which is downloaded to my phone, I then just add individual tracks to that and they download automatically.

I used to do similar with the automatic "Thumbs up" playlist, so anything I thumbs up automatically adds itself to that playlist and downloads too, you could do similar with the "Latest added" auto playlist which is (last 500?) things added to your library. This method meant I was getting a lot stored on my phone when I didn't necessarily want to use up all the space for music so the "On phone" setup mentioned above is what I stuck with as it gives that greater level of control and I can add individual tracks or whole albums in the same way.

Downloads, whichever way you do it, are per device so you won't get tracks appearing on your phone if you share the account unless you've explicitly downloaded the playlist on your device too.
Hm I hadn't noticed that it downloaded automatically when creating a playlist - I'll have a fiddle.

That could probably work for my wife as it reduces the clicks by one

Roy@Flickr
Old 25-03-2016, 11:10   #560
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Does anyone know why when you add a pre-release album in Apple Music why it doesn't automatically update when new songs or even the whole album is available?

I've got Joe Bonamassa's new album in 'my music', it was released today but only one song is available.

I've noticed this on many other occasions, is there a setting i'm not aware of that updates this automatically? Deleting it and re-adding it seems ridiculous.