Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 01-02-2016, 13:14   #521
douglasb
Suedehead.

Word on the industry street is that Amazon are in talks re. a proper streaming service. You'd think they would be looking for something to sit alongside Prime video for an 'all under one roof' style affair.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 15:36   #522
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I wouldn't touch Amazon with a barge pole considering how unreliable their video service is.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:13   #523
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

They've certainly got their work cut out trying to compete with Apple, Google, Spotify and Deezer, especially if they're not going to charge more on top of Prime for it.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:55   #524
Smash41
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Ah, fair enough. One of the things I really like about Google Music is that the mood, genre, artist stations aren't curated so not limited to 20/30 tracks, and just keep playing, and anything you thumbs up/down affects what else you get, so you end up with more stuff you like.

It's certainly a polished and complete service, and the mobile apps are excellent (the web UI less so). The only shortcomings are the lack of Lasf.fm scrobbling (deal breaker for me), and the limited social stuff that Spotify does so well.

I will try Tidal though when we're back (and my connection isn't ****!), just to see how it feels.

I know what you mean about the lossless though. I realised I could notice a difference through my Sonos speakers and have been trying to replace as many mp3s with flac as possible since (most of my CDs are in boxes in the UK, so downloading them to save me re-ripping when I get back!) Not a big difference, just a little warmer, fuller and brighter.

The day I someone has a streaming service that ticks all my boxes the happier I will be! I'm amazed that no one has released a streaming service comparison site that lets you build up a list of artists/albums and easily check who does and doesn't have all the stuff essential to you - I've thought it was a good idea for quite some time, but no idea how to do it myself!
You can scrobble to lastfm from your phone and pc browser. Look for simple last fm scrobbler on the Play Store. I can't remember the name of the extension for Chrome sorry.
Smash41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:12   #525
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash41 View Post
You can scrobble to lastfm from your phone and pc browser. Look for simple last fm scrobbler on the Play Store. I can't remember the name of the extension for Chrome sorry.
Quote:
The only reason I've not persisted with it is because I now have an iPhone and the iOS doesn't have the Last.fm scrobbling. If they ever added that it would be my preferred choice.
Not on iOS
Old 01-02-2016, 17:39   #526
Damonc
Trusted User

What's the benefit of this last fm scrobbler? I've done some research but what I've found so far is more about configuring it with various services than telling me what the benefits are.
Damonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:00   #527
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Last.fm is/was great at tracking your number of tracks or artists played and giving you basic stats based on your top artists or most played tracks of the week/year etc.

However, imo, it's a shadow of its former self and as much as it pains me to say, being a scrobbler for over a decade now, last.fm integration isn't a selling point for me anymore when it comes to choosing a streaming provider.
Damonc (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 18:23   #528
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I was thinking while working today, what is to stop anyone signing up for a free Tidal trial every month, just using a different email address? If they are letting me use the same Paypal payment for all my global accounts, can't I just keep creating email addresses and getting another free month?

I appreciate that I would lose my favourited music etc, but am I missing anything, morality not withstanding?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:46   #529
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Last.fm is/was great at tracking your number of tracks or artists played and giving you basic stats based on your top artists or most played tracks of the week/year etc.

However, imo, it's a shadow of its former self and as much as it pains me to say, being a scrobbler for over a decade now, last.fm integration isn't a selling point for me anymore when it comes to choosing a streaming provider.
It's still a deal breaker for me. I use a little app called http://albumplays.com/ that replaces the built in Sonos scrobbler (which I found only scrobbled around 70% of plays) and also to pull back plays from Last.fm, and all those then go into MediaMonkey, so I can still have all my plays in MediaMonkey to keep my auto-playlists fresh, otherwise they're stale unless I manually update them all regularly.
Old 04-02-2016, 18:06   #530
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

So I used Amazon Music as part of my Prime trial. It was okay, it's main problem is the more limited library, so I've signed up for Apple Music.

I'm an Android user, I find the app a bit annoying because it often doesn't download all the tracks of an album, so I'll sometimes come to use something offline and find missing tracks, which won't ever download no matter how much I add/remove them.

I might try Spotify...

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 18:15   #531
GregB
Stagger Lee

Google Play Music is great for me and works brilliantly on Android, as it should.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 18:35   #532
Roy

Doesn't Google Play also have a fairly limited library?

Roy@Flickr
Old 04-02-2016, 18:57   #533
douglasb
Suedehead.

Suggest some albums and we can have a look for you.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Roy (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 19:16   #534
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Doesn't Google Play also have a fairly limited library?
What makes you think that? Are getting mixed up wihh amazons small library? Its similar to Spotify and Apple, plus you can upload any ones not on there. If you're on android Google Music is the best option.
Old 04-02-2016, 19:35   #535
Roy

I thought I'd read somewhere that the catalogue was roughly the same as Amazon, did I get that wrong?

Roy@Flickr
Old 04-02-2016, 19:45   #536
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah. According to Wiki, Amazon's is around 1m, Google's is around 35m, Spotify has around 30m and Apple's 37m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...music_services

Google's is a full on streaming service that matches the best of the rest, Amazon's is a half arsed token gesture for already paying Prime customers.

Seriously, Google Music is excellent, as good as Apple and Spotify, especially on Android. On iOS the apps are a little more limited (and have no scrobbling - yes I know I keep moaning about that, but it's the one reason I'm not using it at the moment!) but still excellent. Definitely worth the trial to compare. That it allows you to upload up to 50,000 of your own tracks is something Spotify cannot match, Apple can but you have to pay £20 or so a year for the 100,000 track match service (not sure how/if that works with Android).
Thanked once by:
Roy (05-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 20:18   #537
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Another big up for Google music from me. Best streaming service by far and if their is any gaps just upload your own copy. Sorted.

The only advantage spotify has for me is that it's easy to anoy my son playing music he hates into his headphones when he's on the ps4.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 20:20   #538
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Yeah. According to Wiki, Amazon's is around 1m, Google's is around 35m, Spotify has around 30m and Apple's 37m. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...music_services Google's is a full on streaming service that matches the best of the rest, Amazon's is a half arsed token gesture for already paying Prime customers. Seriously, Google Music is excellent, as good as Apple and Spotify, especially on Android. On iOS the apps are a little more limited (and have no scrobbling - yes I know I keep moaning about that, but it's the one reason I'm not using it at the moment!) but still excellent. Definitely worth the trial to compare. That it allows you to upload up to 50,000 of your own tracks is something Spotify cannot match, Apple can but you have to pay £20 or so a year for the 100,000 track match service (not sure how/if that works with Android).
You don't pay extra a year on Apple Music any more. You can match music as part of your sub.
Old 04-02-2016, 20:21   #539
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, thanks. Thought you still had to pay on top for that. Ive not used it with the apple music trial as you need iTunes to do the matching.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48   #540
Roy

Quote:
Yeah. According to Wiki, Amazon's is around 1m, Google's is around 35m, Spotify has around 30m and Apple's 37m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...music_services

Google's is a full on streaming service that matches the best of the rest, Amazon's is a half arsed token gesture for already paying Prime customers.

Seriously, Google Music is excellent, as good as Apple and Spotify, especially on Android. On iOS the apps are a little more limited (and have no scrobbling - yes I know I keep moaning about that, but it's the one reason I'm not using it at the moment!) but still excellent. Definitely worth the trial to compare. That it allows you to upload up to 50,000 of your own tracks is something Spotify cannot match, Apple can but you have to pay £20 or so a year for the 100,000 track match service (not sure how/if that works with Android).
I'll try that out definitely then, as the Apple Music android app isn't brilliant, I must have read either an old or biased review as there was a definite "Apple is the best" vibe about it, cheers for pointing me in the right direction

Just signed up for Google, although already hitting problems with "Can't download music" errors, hopefully it's just initial glitches and it'll settle down...

Roy@Flickr

Last edited by Roy; 05-02-2016 at 09:16.