Cloud music discussion: Spotify/Rdio/Deezer/Napster/Google/Apple, etc - free & paid - Page 25 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 17:22   #481
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

To be honest, Spotify is just as easy - just tick the song (clicking the + ) adds it to your music, then the 3 dots allows you to add it directly to a new or an existing playlist. What more could you want in terms of simplicity or functionality?

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Last edited by cedge; 11-12-2015 at 17:29.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 22:34   #482
Damonc
Trusted User

IMO, the most annoying thing about Apple Music is there is no history of what you have played. I don't want to add everything I've listened to to 'My Music' but I do want to go back and see what I've listened to later so I don't forget what I've played. This doesn't seem to be a feature and I don't want to keep track of this myself, Apple Music should do this.
Damonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:15   #483
LouBarlow
Retired Member

It does show what you've played, at least using iTunes (Mac version) - click the up-next button and there is a little clock. Click that and it shows your 'History'.

People seem to be too quick to knock the service because it's Apple IMO. At least check there isn't a solution for your annoyances peeps!
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:26   #484
Damonc
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
It does show what you've played, at least using iTunes (Mac version) - click the up-next button and there is a little clock. Click that and it shows your 'History'.

People seem to be too quick to knock the service because it's Apple IMO. At least check there isn't a solution for your annoyances peeps!
Thanks LouBarlow, I didn't know that contained history. I've been using Apple Music since it was released in June and have been searching, asking online and looking throughout the interface (must have had a boy's look) and this is the first time I've found out about this.

It really is hidden away though, when you're not playing music, you have to roll over the rectangle displaying the Apple logo to see the 'list' icon and doesn't work cross-devices. I'm looking at it on one Mac and the history is empty. If I look on another Mac it shows what I've played on that computer and there's no way of seeing what I've played on iPhone or Apple TV.

I wanted to see a global history of everything I've played in my account across all devices.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:34   #485
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

We have two iPads, two iPhones and a MacBook in our household of two, so we're not anti Apple, but I'm not gushing pro Apple either. Apple Music is fine, I just don't really like how it's all set up, and what it recommends isn't as good as Google music. I really liked the beats UK, but they've kind of dumbed that down for Apple Music, and one of the five main tabs (new) is useless to me as it's full of pop stuff I have no interest in.

Google Music is the best service at the moment in my opinion, but like Apple Music it doesn't have last fm scrobbling on iOS, which would address the issue Damonc has mentioned, and only Spotify and the doomed Rdio have last fm scrobbling within the app.

For me it's not just the need to see what I've listened to, I pull my last.fm play history back into media monkey to update my auto playlists which auto update for Sonos to keep our Sonos playlists fresh, and without scrobbling I can't update them, so it is a deal breaker for me.

Quietscrob will scrobble my music on the device and anything I've marked for offline listening, but not if I listen to anything streamed.

For me I think I'm better off with my local collection on my iPhone (which I sync with media monkey) and having spotify as a separate player for when I want to listen to new/different/stuff I don't have
Old 12-12-2015, 16:40   #486
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I wasn't insinuating that you were anti-Apple, more that people seem to be holding them up to higher standards than other companies - the service is what, 6 months old, and it is already better than Spotify (IMO) in that it has a Mac app that actually works. Spotify have been going for years and still not managed that, yet seem to not draw the same level of criticism. In terms of content, there doesn't seem much in it to me, and I put more faith in Apple showing clout, if artists start going exclusive, because of the lack of a free option.
Old 12-12-2015, 17:15   #487
Damonc
Trusted User

I've been exclusively Apple since 1991 when I got my first job in the print industry using a Mac IIci computer and have used their products through the bad days and the good days.

I remember the days of trying to get a Psion 5 handheld to talk to a Mac when hardly anything made by third parties would work with a Mac so I'm very grateful for the integration we have with OS X, iOS, watchOS and now tvOS.

I hold them to their own high standards and am critical of the poor decisions they make while applauding their good decisions. Apple's products aren't perfect, and I want to see improvements. As you say, it's early days and I hope to see a dedicated audio app at some point to get away from iTunes bloat. I am loving having my music collection available in iTunes Match across multiple computers, iPhone and Apple TV and having Apple Music across those devices too.
Thanked once by:
basegreen (14-12-2015)
Old 14-12-2015, 16:40   #488
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I've just found the Spotify 'Discover Weekly' personalised playlist and am pretty delighted at the stuff it's suggesting for me. Very well done and clever design behind it.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 19:34   #489
cedge

Yep, its really good.

Old 14-12-2015, 20:47   #490
mikef
Trusted User

I've been using Apple Music for a whole 48 hours now, and I am quite impressed with it so far. Its had the albums I've been looking for, and I like the curated playlists and radio stations. I had to watch the help videos to suss it out properly, but it seems cool enough.

There are some things I don't like, but I think its more me than Apple that has the issues... :-)

For instance, any album I '+' or download appears on the list of albums in My Music. I'd prefer it to be a different list (using my iPhone).

I've always wanted to be able to create folders that I can put albums into, or be able to create album-centric playlists (as opposed to single track centered playlists). Being a bit of an old guy, I prefer to manage my albums rather than having a single very long list. I appreciate that you young people think differently though :-)

I was confused slightly also at first in that I thought I could see what was available through the iTunes store, but you have to hunt things down through the search function in My Music. Maybe they need an Apple Music app.

I also cant see Apple Music albums in my list in iTunes on my PC, though theres probably a setting I am missing somewheres.

My biggest challenge though is getting the Family to accept Family Sharing so they can use Apple Music. They all seem to think I get the ability to see everything they are up to, even though I am effectively offering to pay for their purchases and for them to be able to access Apple Music. Ho Hum...

m
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 07:43   #491
cedge

I also thought if its in iTunes Store = available for streaming but that was one of the reasons I was really disapointed with what Apple ended up offering. I also prefer to keep my list of music seperate which Spotify does very well - it also sorts it into artist/albulm plus any specific playlists that I want to create in which I can also add local music too.

Old 16-12-2015, 05:13   #492
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

So Rdio is closing down worldwide on 22 December.

http://www.rdio.com/farewell/

Kind of feels a little sad, having used it a fair few times. They have a great app and design, probably the most use friendly out of all of them. Hopefully it'll won't be too long before it's back as part of Pandora.
Old 19-12-2015, 05:30   #493
LouBarlow
Retired Member

For those concerned by such matters, The Beatles back-catalogue, is rumoured to be coming to Apple Music from Christmas Eve.

Edit - and possibly to all streaming services apparently.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 19-12-2015 at 05:39.
Old 23-12-2015, 15:16   #494
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
For those concerned by such matters, The Beatles back-catalogue, is rumoured to be coming to Apple Music from Christmas Eve.

Edit - and possibly to all streaming services apparently.
yeah Spotify have confirmed midnight tonight
Old 15-01-2016, 19:14   #495
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Flip, sussed it.
Old 15-01-2016, 23:38   #496
ArnieCunningham
Banned

I use apple/ itunes. I used to use limewire but that place is long gone. Really was a good site to get music from. Even though it was free, sure was a great resource for music. Anyone know if itunes still does free songs? I used to get free songs everyday, but stopped for some reason.
ArnieCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:13   #497
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,032 Posts
Good article on Spotify's spoken word content -

This is Spotify’s Best Feature… And No One Ever Talks About It
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:55   #498
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
My year long subscription to spotify is coming to an end? Can anyone recommend the amazon prime version as I already pay for that. Is it basically the same?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:55   #499
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

You know how Amazon prime TV and film is a pale shadow of netflix. Same when you compare the music side of things. They have all the major label stuff but beyond that it's slim pickings.

Google music's still the best streaming service for my money.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:58   #500
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, Amazon Prime music is pretty crap IMO, pretty much just playlists and genre radio stations. Not a patch on Spotify, Google Music, Apple Music, Deezer. I never bother with it even though we have prime.